Polished Alloys - alloys wheel refurb, mirror polishing , straight and weld alloys, 07792101355

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Post up some photo's, thinking of getting my split rims done shadow chrome with polished dish. Very hard to do shadow chrome right apparently.

Cheers

Just collected them, and well impressed.

Quick photo in the yard.

IMG_1733_zps0d02025d.jpg

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Don't like to post negative things but I'm quite disappointed in my wheels. I got them refurbished by Michael in Feb 2012 and they are in a really bad state already! Now in fairness the car does well over 20k a year and there are some minor kirb marks caused by my lack of parking skills when squeezing in to city centre spaces but it looks like the wheels weren't prepped before paint.

null_zps5347abd3.jpg

null_zps7d8a03eb.jpg

null_zpsb12bb68d.jpg

They really need done again but I need to try and find time where I don't need the car as I use it daily and don't have a spare set of wheels

stephen85

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra h
That's not good looking at all mate

On another note, my mate got his leon rims sprayed black by Michael and very impressed, great job.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
I know others who have used him and have been happy but I have seen a couple of poor jobs too.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
hmmm 30k driving through a few curbs here and there... they arnt gona look great good paint job or not dude lol but it looks like the paint is melting off a spoke in one of the photos right enough!lol

_Stu_

RMS Regular
hmmm 30k driving through a few curbs here and there... they arnt gona look great good paint job or not dude lol but it looks like the paint is melting off a spoke in one of the photos right enough!lol

Exactly, I certainly don't expect them to look brand new, I'm not one of these people who only puts the wheels on for a week in the summer and seals them with dolphin tears everyday but equally after only a year and a half they are very tatty! Never seen paint melt before but it certainly looks interesting.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
have you a sticky caliper ? ive seen factory wheel paint melt due to excess heat in the alloy ... did you speak to michael and air your concerns ? im sure he would work with you on a re do of the rims (i wouldnt expect it free) but if it was me i would rather speak to him in person with wheels present .. hes not a bad fella and easy talked to. my f1 clio needed a refurb and it only had 20k on the clock the wheels where factory and where blistering . alloy is like ordinary metal once it starts corroding no mater how much you rub it down it will still corrode , i cant comment on your particular rims as i never seen the state of them prior to refurb ...

il add that ive had atleast 12 sets of rims done and been happy with them all but then ive never owned them for long

corsacj

RMS Regular
The constant heat to cause the paint to melt down like that really wouldnt be consistent to normal driving in my oppinion mate, would echo what ferret has said about the caliper

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Caliper is 100% fine on the car, the paint feels rubbery to the touch and not properly dried. Unfortunately I'm working 7.30am to until around 6pm during the week and doing overtime at the weekends so can't be without the car or even get time to go up to Michael. I'm sure I have a pic of the wheels prior to refurb but the paint was original and they were left up due to kirbing around the edges, there was no flaking or corrosion. I can honestly say the car never gets driven hard for the brakes to heat up much, it's a family sized diesel saloon.

plexo

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsubishi
are you going to any of those "hand car washes"? could be something they are using eating away at the paint could be too corrosive ..

stephen85

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra h
are you going to any of those "hand car washes"? could be something they are using eating away at the paint could be too corrosive ..

This could be the issue

When my mate took his wheels to Michael to be sprayed black, Michael called that afternoon to say the paint wasn't taking to the alloys it was bubbling etc... My mate got his car washed every week by either them euro car washes or the USA guy at connswater... It would seem whatever they used on the alloys was effecting the paint.

Michael then stripped them and redone them and paint took to them without an issue.

So it could be a product that's been used in the last 18 months effecting the coating

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
why wait to now tho .. michael stands over his work for a year ... which makes it harder for you to resolve after .

_Stu_

RMS Regular
why wait to now tho .. michael stands over his work for a year ... which makes it harder for you to resolve after .

To be honest this has only started getting bad recently, I noticed the paint around some minor kirb marks flaking but I know I have no comeback on that because that has stemmed from damage. The paint in between the spokes started flaking off a few months ago then today I noticed the funny melting paint thing going on which is what made me think it has been a sub standard job. The paint flaking badly is only happening on 1 wheel, the others are in better shape although 1 seems to be yellow and discoloured from brake dust but that may be removable with the right products.

I don't want people to think this is me having a go at Michael because it isn't, I just didn't expect to be looking at another refurb so quickly considering the wheels had covered 90k in 6 years with no issues and were only refurbished because of kirb marks.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
To be honest this has only started getting bad recently, I noticed the paint around some minor kirb marks flaking but I know I have no comeback on that because that has stemmed from damage. The paint in between the spokes started flaking off a few months ago then today I noticed the funny melting paint thing going on which is what made me think it has been a sub standard job. The paint flaking badly is only happening on 1 wheel, the others are in better shape although 1 seems to be yellow and discoloured from brake dust but that may be removable with the right products.

I don't want people to think this is me having a go at Michael because it isn't, I just didn't expect to be looking at another refurb so quickly considering the wheels had covered 90k in 6 years with no issues and were only refurbished because of kirb marks.

i do see where your coming from no doubt and your totally alowed to air your views .. sub standard products or sub standard job would have started to break down well before now tho ... there must be more to it .. i can deffo see the paint flaking around the kerbing thats un avoidable .. if it was my work id be keen to see why it has went the way it did .

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
wheel and caliper refurb im well pleased as usualsame day service . and on a sunday too to suit me

some pics and fab service too (not bum licking btw)

_Stu_

RMS Regular
wheel and caliper refurb im well pleased as usualsame day service . and on a sunday too to suit me

some pics and fab service too (not bum licking btw)

Decided I will get my wheels done by Michael again, will maybe go with a similar colour to yours this time. Does he normally work on a Sunday? If so I can maybe call in this weekend since I'm off work.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
Decided I will get my wheels done by Michael again, will maybe go with a similar colour to yours this time. Does he normally work on a Sunday? If so I can maybe call in this weekend since I'm off work.

if you ask him he will . i know he works pretty hard but as said hes a decent spud to deal with

BELLUR

RMS Regular
Just booked the car in on Thursday with Michael for an alloy refurb and re-spray gloss black and calipers sprayed yellow. I'll post some pics up when I get it done. Really sound guy to talk to and looking forward to seeing the results.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
I called up with Michael today so wheels are going back in a couple of weeks to get redone. He has offered to do them all for a fair price too so I am happy. Will post pics of them all fixed up when it's all done and fixed up.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.