Powerful FWD car owners - Tyre discussion

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I have contisport contact 5s on the RS and they're spot on with 300bhp but the remap has just pushed them to their limits. I'd be keen to see what the new contisport contact 6s are like on the new typeR - probably continentals version of the Michelin pilot supersports.

B6GUE

RMS Regular
Drives
MK1 FRS
I took off F1 eagles and replaced withYokohama on a tuned mk1 Focus RS, Best move I made IMO

Lee

RMS Regular
You're asking a lot from any tyre to put down that sort of power in a FWD in the wet IMO, especially without a LSD.

I had Potenza RE002s 225/40 r18 on a Revo stage 1 tfsi (KO3) and while they were brilliant, the first few gears were pretty useless in the wet, I wasn't suprised and didn't blame the tyres.

Fine in dry conditions, skipped slightly coming on boost in 2nd but didn't fry.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The hankooks I had on the FR were a great all round tyre, never had a problem when it came to handling etc but wet roads and getting the power down was something that always drove me nuts.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Using r888 on the front of the octavia (currently still revo stage 3 with water /meth) , streets ahead of everything I've tried and I use it as a daily driver. Have had zero problems in the wet except on deep puddles and they grip far better in wet and dry conditions than the pilot sports they replaced.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Using r888 on the front of the octavia (currently still revo stage 3 with water /meth) , streets ahead of everything I've tried and I use it as a daily driver. Have had zero problems in the wet except on deep puddles and they grip far better in wet and dry conditions than the pilot sports they replaced.

Successor to the r888's is on it's way shortly, should be a great track orientated tyre.

PhilM

RMS Regular
R1r by toyo

some amount of crap tyres being recommended in here.

888s / dz03g for outright grip

R1r for happy medium between wet and dry performance

Nankang ns2 (sp) have been getting a few good reviews so they may be an option for you? Though I haven't used them myself

Phil

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Agreed, but without going into r888, or Advan A048r etc, maybe consider the more 'street' Yokohama Advan AD08r?? It's an awsome tyre all round...

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I got 225/45/17 Assymetric II's for £69 each on pneus online a few weeks ago.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd

i was actually considering R888's big dough though, how do they wear mark beingas they are very soft i would think

What tyres did you put on the rear? Or did I miss you mentioning it somewhere?

Theres 2 Dunlop SP Sport MAXX on the rear but the F1's on the front are near down to the indicators.

Just to add im really looking for dry weather grip as in the wet it wouldnt matter what tyre you had on lol.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I'd need to fit the 6" S2 steelies for 185's. The S1 steels are 5.5" and 185 is a bit wide imo.

brendy

RMS Regular
i was actually considering R888's big dough though, how do they wear mark beingas they are very soft i would think

Theres 2 Dunlop SP Sport MAXX on the rear but the F1's on the front are near down to the indicators.

Just to add im really looking for dry weather grip as in the wet it wouldnt matter what tyre you had on lol.
Uniroyal rainsports will make a difference. got 4 fitted to the wrx and as you know in the wet if hitting a roundabout a little hard the nose pushes out, doesnt happen now with these fitted (Rainsport 3's)

Conor

RMS Regular
R888s?! Why in the name of Christ would you put a semi-slick on for everyday road use. :confounded: If you need R888s on the road, you actually need 4WD.

Super Sports for me. The M3 came with Falken F452s on the rear and they were shocking, changed front and back to PSSs and you have to properly be trying to kick the rear now, where the Falkens done it whether you liked it or not, and they're only a wee bit squirmy in the wet as expected, as opposed to fully lit in fourth with the falkens. I had a 280ish BHP MkV GTI Golf, and found PS2s were the best I had on it by quite some way, so the Super Sports should definitely be a winner. Great looking tyre too.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Re R888's, you would be surprised @Conor, a stage 2 K04 FWD without a trick new diff is a fair bit to put to the tarmac. Unfortunately 4WD is not an option, either is a diff as they are way too expensive and i dont do track days. Looks like its coming down to MP super sports or R888's. £100 for Michelins or £150 for R888's from opeono tyres online.

Conor

RMS Regular
Re R888's, you would be surprised @Conor, a stage 2 K04 FWD without a trick new diff is a fair bit to put to the tarmac. Unfortunately 4WD is not an option, either is a diff as they are way too expensive and i dont do track days. Looks like its coming down to MP super sports or R888's. £100 for Michelins or £150 for R888's from opeono tyres online.

I've been in a couple. Unless you insist on taking off from a standing start constantly, you don't need semi-slicks.

I would've thought anything that's good enough for a 300 BHP+ RWD would be more than good enough for a FWD, no?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Its torque more than bhp thats the issue and the revo maps are quite aggressive. I dont do standing starts or 1st gear flooring it, im talking about coming on boost in 2nd and it lights the tyres in the dry and a bit in 3rd. RWD pushes FWD pulls, big difference.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I have Hankooks on the front of the R26 and think they are pretty decent! Better than the Avons that were on there previously. LSD probably makes a big difference though!

Conor

RMS Regular
Its torque more than bhp thats the issue and the revo maps are quite aggressive. I dont do standing starts or 1st gear flooring it, im talking about coming on boost in 2nd and it lights the tyres in the dry and a bit in 3rd. RWD pushes FWD pulls, big difference.

Lol, I know what the difference is, my point was grip levels. If the likes of PSSs and F1s are good enough for 400 BHP+ RWD performance cars, then that would suggest that there's something other than tyres wrong with your 350 BHP hatchback if it's spinning in 3rd in the dry.

PSSs will do your job.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Has anyone had a direct comparison between Michelin PS3's and PS2's or SS's? i.e. on the car one after the other. I have 4 PS3's on my 2.0tsi Sirocco but they'll need changed in 2000 miles. In the corners wet or dry the PS3's are very good, I've plenty of confidence in them. In 2nd and sometimes even 3rd on a wet roundabout they dont get the power down. Are the PS2's or SS's a noticeable increase in grip? They dont do SS's in a 235/40r18 so I'd have to go down a size to 225 or else go for PS2's. Camskill currently have 235/40r18 PS2's and PS3's at the same price (£107 & £108).

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.