R52 Mini Cooper S JCW

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
OP
Robin_Hood
Drives
Defender
I haven't updated this thread in a long time..

Still have the JCW but it's barley done 500miles in the last 18months..

Lots of jobs ticked off though over the last year, starting with a full supercharge service, rocker cover gasket, sump gasket and various other bits that are prone to leaking on the R53/R52 Minis..
Engine block was steam cleaned and given a fresh coat of paint and the supercharger horns all painted silver to keep a factory look.

Complete coolant flush, new water pump and new header tank as the old one had seen better days.
New Gearbox oil and replacement passenger driveshaft also fitted.

3EEE3A6D-5BD7-4AF7-AA68-C210DAB1D89D.JPG

IMG_9552.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

As the Mini was coming onto 15years old I thought I'd give the front suspension a complete refresh, front subframe was removed and cleaned and any small spots of rust removed and treated. Subframe, Trailing Arms, Trailing Arm brackets all coated in BiltHamber Hydrate 80 which left a factory matt finish.

Fitted was new Lemforder inner & outter ball joints, new trailing arm bushes, track rods, anti roll bar bushes, anti roll bar links along with new top suspension mounts.

IMG_9355.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg

IMG_9466.jpg

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_9528.jpg

I removed and sold the 18" JCW Alloy wheels and returned to the 17" BBS JCW Split Rims the car was purchased with and these have been completely refurbished by RimFix in Derry. I had in two minds to go silver/grey inserts but decided in the end to stick with the original silver/green combo.

It was a slow process removing all the individual torx bolts, all apart from 2 survived.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

I've had to re-tapp all the treaded holes on the alloys to ensure the bolts go back on with some locktite and the alloys have all been coated in KKD Ceramic Coating.

Bit of a long post..
Now that the wheels are off the rear subframe is being dropped and treated to the same process as the front along with a new scorpion manifold in the not distant future.

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
OP
Robin_Hood
Drives
Defender
I had started with the intention of refurbishing the alloys and cleaning and tidying up under the arches! This turned into removing the rear subframe for a refresh!

IMG_0213.jpg

Trailing Arms, Brakes, Subframe, Shocks, Exhaust, Heatshields all removed..

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Each part was cleaned, and any metal parts stripped down, wire wheeled to remove any rust, treated with BiltHamper Hydrate 80 and then painted and lacquered.

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

New anti roll bar bushes, shocks were stripped down and new shock mount bushings.
IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Some of the exhaust brackets had corroded and needed drilled out and new bolts added.

New lemforder droplinks also added.

IMG_0793.jpg

Some recommend changing the trailing arms to R56 aluminium to save weight but I didn’t think this was necessary as the car will not be tracked and is only for summer and weekend use.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Plastic arches thoroughly cleaned and dressed.

Exhaust & JCW Tips were lightly sanded then using some wire wool, autosol and polishing pads brought back to life.. I had some KKD ceramic coating left over from the wheels which I used on the back boxes and exhaust tips which should help to keep them clean.

IMG_0954.jpg

New Michelin PS4 tyres all fitted and full 4 wheel alignment, unfortunately the front tie rods were siezed solid so these have been replaced by new lemforder parts and tracking will be finalised next week.

IMG_1047.jpg

Align.jpg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’ve just read through your thread having recently fallen for Mini’s, and my what a thread. I absolutely love the attention to detail on this!

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
OP
Robin_Hood
Drives
Defender
A great day out at the Causeway Coast Mini Show rounded off with a Best in Class award :cool:

IMG_3660.JPG

Award.jpg

Back on it's original plates, sadly the Mini has now went to it's new home in Monaghan. I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as we have.

IMG_3805.JPG