R56 Factory John Cooper Works

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
It looks like a bit of a family addiction. I’m going to order one of those ultra gauge things - saw a pic of one on, I think is it Hutchys track Mini on Instagram but had forgotten about it until now.
The Ultraguage is a decent bit of kit for the price, but it is by no means robust in design :joy:

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So I had the car up on the ramp getting a full service and generally checking it over when I noticed the inside wall of one of the tyres cracked. I was planning to change them in the Spring anyway but things just happened a wee bit sooner than expected.
New set of Yokohama AD08Rs ordered and wheels sent down to Prentice Alloy Clinic for full refurb (acid dipped back to bare alloy, powder coat primed, colour base coat then powder coat lacquered). Couldn't recommend these guys enough. Detail was second to none and super service with regular updates etc.
fullsizeoutput_76f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_770.jpeg

Something I had been debating for a while was the inner Carbon Fibre door grabs. Decided as the car has a fair bit of carbon now it would fit quite well, so ordered them and fitted last night
fullsizeoutput_775.jpeg

Just two weeks left now before it's taken off the road for the winter so need to get one of them outdoor carcoons ordered to store it :joy:

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Starting to get wee bits and pieces sorted now ready for Spring again.
It developed a knocking at the rear which I initially thought was the rear strut bushings. Something that always annoyed me was the arch gap. I had tried KW V2 coilovers but even at the highest setting I wasn't able to clear the local speed ramps. With the rear shocks coming out to get an overhaul, I thought now would be the best time to fit lowering springs. New rear ARB bushes were fitted as well (the old ones were the cause of the knocking). The new project car @Wild Thing and I picked up had the Eibach Pro 30mm springs fitted and it sat perfect IMO. I was also very impressed at the comfort of them and it would clear the ramps etc. Ordered up a set and fitted them
fullsizeoutput_947.jpeg

Comparison of Before:
IMG_2716.JPG

After with Eibachs fitted
IMG_3646.JPG

Picked up a new set of black light trim rings from Prentice and fitted as well as new grill surrounds to tidy things up
IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

Pick of it with the new project car which also happens to be almost identical in both spec and looks :joy:
IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Also picked up a brand new JCW steering wheel from Prentice to replace my old one
IMG_3640.JPG

and last but not least swapped the JCW carbon leather gearknob and handbrake grip for the carbon alcantara version
IMG_3650.JPG

Since I swapped over the refurbished wheels onto my blue R53 last week, the plan is to leave these wheels down to Prentice alloy clinic in the next month or so to refurb and I'll get a new set of Yoko AD08r fitted as well to get rid of the ditch finders

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
Looks great on the eibachs. I’m going to put a set in the R53. Where was best cost wise when you were buying?

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Looks great on the eibachs. I’m going to put a set in the R53. Where was best cost wise when you were buying?
Can't comment on the R53 but Demon tweeks were by far the cheapest at £150 including postage.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
How many minis do you have? :joy:

Opened this thread and thought to myself I’m near sure this was blue the last time I commented haha

Lovely motor, has it the same wheels as the blue one?

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
How many minis do you have? :joy:

Opened this thread and thought to myself I’m near sure this was blue the last time I commented haha

Lovely motor, has it the same wheels as the blue one?

I've got 3 :joy: Yes same wheels as the blue one (y)They are one of the few Mini wheels that clear the Brembos so choice is fairly limited unless you go aftermarket

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I've got 3 :joy: Yes same wheels as the blue one (y)They are one of the few Mini wheels that clear the Brembos so choice is fairly limited unless you go aftermarket
Your yard is like Prentice Mini :joy:

You have to be a real mini fan to have 3 of them, and why are 2 almost identical? You must be the crazy mini girl :joy:

The wheels look tidy, and looks so much better lowered, nice one (y)

EDIT: I see 5 minis in them pics, are the other 2 yours as well, either that or you’re eying them up surely :joy:

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Your yard is like Prentice Mini :joy:

You have to be a real mini fan to have 3 of them, and why are 2 almost identical? You must be the crazy mini girl :joy:

The wheels look tidy, and looks so much better lowered, nice one (y)

EDIT: I see 5 minis in them pics, are the other 2 yours as well, either that or you’re eying them up surely :joy:

That's the family collection :joy: The identical one is just the way it was bought haha obviously the previous owner had good taste lol

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
That's the family collection :joy: The identical one is just the way it was bought haha obviously the previous owner had good taste lol
Not half wise :joy: Isn’t there groups for that kind of addiction? :p

Need to get yourself a proper bmw :p:p

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
After quite some time of looking, an immaculate set of alcantara knee bolsters come up at reasonable money. I had only ever seen 1 other set for sale used and missed out on them so ever since I had been looking. They are around £600 new so that was never going to be an option.
Guy was breaking a RHD Mini in Germany so jumped at the chance to get them. Arrived on Friday and fitted them this weekend.
AHnYhEHwSo225CtehI6YKg.jpg

Whole dash, A pillars and vent trims had to come out in order to get them fitted so while I was there I thought I would address the piano black trim that was swirly
Before with standard knee bolster trim
IMG_0130.JPG

Trim buffed which now looks much better
IMG_0131.JPG

And then fitted again with alcantara bolster
IMG_0162.JPG

Again, same was repeated with driver side. While the piano black trim was out I stuck the ultra gauge mount on permanently as the original double sided tape wouldn't hold it and it kept falling off. All put back together again as well as the summer mats fitted again
IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

The door panels were quite badly scraped so took them off and gave them a buff as well. I couldn't take all the marks out but I think they're a lot better now
Before
IMG_0147.JPG

After
IMG_0150.JPG

Last but not least filled it with fresh super unleaded after sitting over winter and gave it a wash and coat of hybrid
IMG_0156.JPG

RevT

RMS Regular
It’s a lovely Mini, I’d love one but could never drive one for the abuse I’d get.

p.s. your mats make me dizzy looking at them.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Put the original refurbed wheels with AD08R back on as I got a good deal on brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres so they can go on the blue R53 daily. While the wheels were off, the brake disc barrels were tidied up and painted to freshen things up
IMG_0548.JPG

The wiper arms as per all Minis were faded and rusty. They were rubbed down and sprayed satin black along with new fresh wiper blades
fullsizeoutput_a0c.jpeg

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Managed to pick up a genuine JCW carbon fibre bonnet scoop for a bargain so that was fitted as well. I think it ties in well with the mirrors and spoiler
Old scoop removed
e8Rq96ehQhC6B9Cy3pLPkQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_a0d.jpeg

DLSjzB2hT1eGFghCsHC1xQ.jpg

Car was then given a good wash and wax with Bilt Hamber Double Speed which I was fairly impressed with. It will certainly do until the front end is painted and then I will get it ceramic coated.
Brought it to Minis in the City today and was over the moon when I come away with best in class
fullsizeoutput_a0b.jpeg

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Put the original refurbed wheels with AD08R back on as I got a good deal on brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres so they can go on the blue R53 daily. While the wheels were off, the brake disc barrels were tidied up and painted to freshen things up
View attachment 237328

The wiper arms as per all Minis were faded and rusty. They were rubbed down and sprayed satin black along with new fresh wiper blades
View attachment 237329

View attachment 237330

View attachment 237331

Managed to pick up a genuine JCW carbon fibre bonnet scoop for a bargain so that was fitted as well. I think it ties in well with the mirrors and spoiler
Old scoop removed
View attachment 237332

View attachment 237333

View attachment 237334

Car was then given a good wash and wax with Bilt Hamber Double Speed which I was fairly impressed with. It will certainly do until the front end is painted and then I will get it ceramic coated.
Brought it to Minis in the City today and was over the moon when I come away with best in class
View attachment 237336

View attachment 237337

View attachment 237338

Really well deserved. It was looking great at the show yesterday.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
A very common fault with R56s it the thermostat housing starts to leak so with nearly 88k miles I thought it would be good preventative maintenance to replace mine. All genuine OEM parts used.
197.jpeg

Recently the car wasn't making boost as it should. I suspected it was the diverter valve in the turbo as an OEM one had been refitted due to the GFB DV+ being worse than useless. The only option I know has worked previously on the N14 engines are the Forge blow off valves, as they replace the whole diverter valve rather than just the end. I managed to get a limited edition Forge Atmospheric BOV kit
IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

Engine bay stripped back in order to fit so that involved the strut brace off to get the airbox out. While it was out I noticed that again the intake pipe had cracked in the inside and the rubber insert was ready to be ingested by the turbo at any time. As I had already replaced it with the OEM one before due to the very same issue I certainly wasn't going for it again so a black silicone pipe was ordered.
fullsizeoutput_a3c.jpeg

First, in order to fit the valve, the intake Map sensor needs taken out and the Forge spacer fitted, then a length of vacuum tubing routed down
IMG_1090.JPG

Next the old diverter valve was taken out and the new Forge valve fitted
Old
fullsizeoutput_a3d.jpeg

New
IMG_1092.JPG

Next was mounting the solenoid to the side of the engine and running the remaining tubing to valve
IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

The plug provided with the kit needed two tabs ground off in order to fit into the OEM loom
Tabs that needed removed
Forge Plug Mod.jpg

Now fits nicely into original loom
IMG_1099.JPG

And finally all connected up properly
IMG_1093.JPG

All built back up together again with new intake hose and engine bay given a good clean
IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

Was slightly worried with it being the atmospheric blow off valve it would be stupid loud but thankfully it is fairly subtle with the uprated blue spring (Will divide opinions but I love it). All boost issues now sorted and car is driving as it should again (y)(y)

Last edited:

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Appologies for the long winded update.
With the car now being off the road for winter I thought now was the perfect time to do the bits and pieces I’ve wanted to do for a while.
The first change was to swap out the Milltek sports cat for a Scorpion Decat
13.jpeg

In order to change it out, the whole front needs taken out of the car.
While I was going to be this far down it would have been silly not to get the turbo refurbed. It hadn’t just been boosting as it should, even after replacing the diverter valve. When I got it out there was quite a bit of wear on the turbo shaft so it was definitely needed
Turbo out
4.jpeg

5.jpeg

A0BC9A7B-BE36-4E14-A445-7B2E998AD2A5.jpeg

Complete refurbishment now complete
426C0B0C-2621-476E-9DFE-2441A1D1428D.jpeg

Turbo and decat all fitted. Also changed out the air con pump as it was getting very noisy
14.jpeg

15.jpeg

The standard intercooler was next to go. New Airtec front mount fitted.
25.jpeg

You can see the difference in size between the OEM and Airtec.
OEM
IMG_2109.jpeg

Airtec
IMG_2110.jpeg

On a road test, with the Ultra gauge I was able to see on a pull, the intake temps with the OEM intercooler were between 32 – 34oC whereas with the Airtec it didn’t climb any more than 12oC. Both times ambient temp was 10oC

I had also ordered a Scorpion Daytona Resonated Exhaust, as they are made to order it took a few weeks to come. Chose this one as it is 2.75” diameter rather than the JCW at 2.25” so it should have a much deeper tone and nice and free flowing.

While I was waiting on it coming, something I’ve wanted to try for a while was joey mod the headlights. Mini do OEM blackline versions but at just shy of £400 a piece I thought I would give it a go myself. I had a second set of xenons set aside to try. It meant if I didn’t like them I could put my originals in again
First was to strip the xenon down, ballast and washer pump removed then the heat gun to heat the edges. Next was to carefully pry the lens away from the backing
16.jpeg

Next was to remove the silver centre plate. This was sanded down, primed then painted black
17.jpeg

19.jpeg

20.jpeg

21.jpeg

Then just to transfer the indicator lens and socket over to the newly painted black centre
22.jpeg

Finally built back together and resealed. It’s not a million miles away from the OEM black versions so I was pretty pleased at the outcome
23.jpeg

And fitted to the car
5DF4E79F-44C1-4F33-8706-F0BFFA03A29E_1_201_a.jpeg

Another addition was a genuine JCW shift light, these are very hard to get so when I had the chance I took it
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Exhaust arrived this afternoon so will hopefully get that fitted tomorrow
01609104-0474-483D-A45F-2D2E9A905D1D.jpeg