Radical Sr8 2.9

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
On Sunday the 13th of July I booked the car into my first competitive event at the Rallysport Association sprint at Nutts corner.

I honestly had no idea how I would get on against those wee buggys on a tight track like nutts corner. Was delighted to take the win.

Next step is the Boss Ireland Championship I’ve already the race license redone and paid my entry. Next race is on the 18th of July when the Radical will line up on the grid beside the fastest cars in the country. Haven’t done wheel to wheel racing in a long time but I’m looking forward to it.

EF7BAB96-01D2-4875-9354-6E42047A5AE4.png
DAE01E40-EC49-4E89-89BC-7EB7EC3072AF.jpeg
F4958CD3-5010-4A55-923A-F030CD27B8A9.jpeg
D7AEB179-0B71-4A80-8F1D-CEA695BF33A3.jpeg

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
you'll enjoy the BOSS series - GREAT bunch....... and I believe you have the garages for the next event there.

its a really good series of a great mix of cars, will likely pull you on heaps too (not that you need it !!!) when the red lights go out you'll be buzzing !! enjoy every second

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Update time again.

Since the last time I’ve been on here I’ve replaced 4x new wheel nuts and put a new radiator in the other side. I’ve now got a spare rad too which is nice to have.

Ive had the car corner weighted an the alignment slightly adjust.

Its testing day tomorrow at mondello international track an the race is on Sunday. No going back now lol. Looking forward to it.

I also had a sponsor N R contracts buy me a new set of Avon slicks for the occasion😎

142FBFB4-3381-41FE-B73C-D6638397905C.jpeg

8B6D6595-61A7-4091-A3BB-0AD86EC5D926.jpeg

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
i bet even those wheel nuts are a bit expensive !!

enjoy the testing (and racing) have you been around the international loop before ? take your time to learn it if not - get out behind some of the 'locals' in the F3 cars.... when you head out to the country its hard to keep the shoe in !!

enjoy the wk end.......... best of luck

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
i bet even those wheel nuts are a bit expensive !!

enjoy the testing (and racing) have you been around the international loop before ? take your time to learn it if not - get out behind some of the 'locals' in the F3 cars.... when you head out to the country its hard to keep the shoe in !!

enjoy the wk end.......... best of luck
Yes mate I’ve had plenty of experience in the full track I’ve done quite a few track days there in the Atom, lotus etc an done the rallysport association sprints too. I actually really like the full track, I’ve never done the small one thou.
Ive never had the radical there thou.

Those 4x wheel nuts cost me £260 🤦‍♀️ Madness! But sure it has to be done an that’s it.

The race should be live on formula boss Facebook page for those looking to watch

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I thought they might be more!! Still… lot of £ for not much material!

good stuff, in that case you can just get into the groove with the car… and get those lovely slicks bedded in!

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Good Luck at the weekend Tony, hope all goes well.

That's a complete weapon you have there, so the competition will probably just see your taillights!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Great to see you have the equipment to match the talent behind the wheel. Good luck in the race!

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Quick video. All drivers there today were saying the times had slowed up considerably it was that warm!

No catching some of them formula 3 cars round the full track of mondello I doubt but we will see come Sunday what happens.

Only got about 20 mins Seat time today on the old slicks I had but it’s better than none I suppose 😎. Left the car there so I head back down early Sunday morning

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Love that track! Car looks like a handful, lol.

Surprised at the corner speeds, thought they would be higher? But the way it warps down the straights is nuts 😁

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Well that certainly went better than I was expecting! I put the new Avon on the car an could see straight away the car was a good bit quicker through the corners.
Somehow I’ve come away with a 3rd and 4th overall. Still in shock 😂
Il try an post the video later when I get a chance.
D99F2BEE-693F-472D-82EC-67DCC9BD49B3.jpeg
0E49B0EF-20AA-4FBD-97DB-F05027B7789C.png
D7013194-DC0D-443C-8DB6-8C7F88B282DB.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Class job Tony, stepping into a series like that and getting a podium in your first race is no mean feat! Congratulations!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
What engines do current F3 cars use? I'm totally out of touch with all that stuff now. Back in the late 80's Richard Peacock was using an ex F1 car in Libre and Tommy Reid bought a Lola F3000 car and had it fitted with an F1 spec 3.5 litre DFV. Shows how much suspension tyres and aero has come on that F3 cars are probably faster now.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
What engines do current F3 cars use? I'm totally out of touch with all that stuff now. Back in the late 80's Richard Peacock was using an ex F1 car in Libre and Tommy Reid bought a Lola F3000 car and had it fitted with an F1 spec 3.5 litre DFV. Shows how much suspension tyres and aero has come on that F3 cars are probably faster now.

Well Driven Tony, I was watching the updates all weekend :grinning:

F3 cars are all 2L - Race 1 was Paul O'Connell in a Fresh Dallara F3 with 300hp 4Cylinder Vauxhall

Race 2 winner Mullins, runs a Gould its more of a hillclimb spec car with a 4L Judd EV V8 in the back so similar to DFV power output (~550hp)

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Well done @evo98 some driving! That thing of your is an animal.

Can I ask but for the two guys at the front in the F3 Cars that were 30+ Sec in front, where's the enjoyment in winning by that much? To me coming from a Karting background we were always pretty close through out and that's what made it a sense of achievement when you were up at the top. Spending that much on a F3 car you would think heading to England or Even Europe with a full on Series with 20+ Like for like cars would make more sense. But maybe that's not viable

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Libre/Boss is basically a no regulation series. Pretty much anything goes.

Most of them run hill climbs and sprints as well. Sometimes you get a Ginetta or a Porsche cup racer, they usually run the main series in England too.

It can get silly when you get people bringing formula cars or the full on sprint single seaters. Even F2 and GP cars. Just buying a win really. They even buy a driver for them at times. Sometimes they run in other series in England and use the likes of Libre/Boss as testing essentially.

It works both ways. As spectators we get to see exotic cars running round Kirkistown or Mondello that would otherwise never be there. As drivers they tend to compete with their own "subclass" rather than outright, though that's not official.

There used to be a dedicated series for non-current formula cars. Don't know if that's still around or has been rolled into Boss.