Radical Sr8 2.9

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Well Driven Tony, I was watching the updates all weekend :grinning:

F3 cars are all 2L - Race 1 was Paul O'Connell in a Fresh Dallara F3 with 300hp 4Cylinder Vauxhall

Race 2 winner Mullins, runs a Gould its more of a hillclimb spec car with a 4L Judd EV V8 in the back so similar to DFV power output (~550hp)
Ah right, exactly the same as 30 years ago then lol. 300bhp 2 litres were the standard F3 specs with Toyota and Alfa being the leading engines before the Vauxhall 16V became the next big thing. The big engined cars always struggled as they were designed for much longer and smoother circuits than the likes of kirky and Mondello. When we took the Lola to Kirky for the first test, Tommy couldn't get it out of first gear for most of the lap due to the gearing. It had to get a specific final drive and /or gearset made before it was able to be used properly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Even more so at Mondello I imagine. Tight and not very fast. Brilliant to drive in something light and nimble though 😎

I think the only thing that has changed in F3 is more aero. Still pretty basic compared to most these days but definitely more of that. Reasoning being getting the drivers used to and learning about setting up and driving aero cars. Apparently :innocent:

Pretty sure W-series also uses F3 cars.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
BOSS or LIbre as it was once known goes through cycles.... 10-15 years ago was insane with uber expensive sportscars dominating - likes of Jade, Juno's and top flight radicals.... as well as a few fast single seaters.. but back them seemed strong in sports racer type cars.

5-10 years ago the sports racers become less popular and single seaters started to dominate.... lots of F renault 'spec' cars which was great as they could be bought and run relatively cheaply... most guys tuned them, but they were still reliable. got the odd F3 but mostly older ones... but even a 90s F3 car has incredible aero...

in the last 5 years F3 cars have more or less dominated, but a lot of other tasty stuff likes of the dalara wold series... some tasty radicals like Tonys (inc a turbo charged V8 !!)

i think the class is awesome.......... i remember back in 2007/2008 watching it and hearing the thunder on the grid... and the noise and atmosphere when the lights went out was like nothing else... i knew i wanted to be part of it !!

reliability has always been an aspect, as there have been guys building stuff.. developing stuff, adding turbo's big engines into cars designed for smaller engines etc.......... so some GREAT engineering... and also pretty handy drivers, also driving standards has mostly been great.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My only real experience of Libre was working for TDR during a placement year at Uni and prepping / building the Libre cars alongside the FF1600/2000 cars for various races. In 1988, it went mental with the arrival of some older F1 cars but it really didn't last that long as the F3's were better suited to the size of tracks over here. I guess that still applies. TDR's old Irish Racing Cars F2 Brabham was pretty good round Kirky too.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Here is a video with commentary of the first race 😎

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Hi guys had another great weekend with the car at boss Ireland round 5 and 6. Finished 3rd place and 5th place over all.

It was the shorter track this time at mondello, it’s a track I was never on before an think I prefer the full track.

Car never missed a beat again an reliability is proving to be key in this series. Here’s a couple of onboard videos anyhow. 😎

Loving the car but would love a single seater now to be more competitive through the corners

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
GP2 car coming soon to the Greenan garage 😁 :innocent:

Only way to be at the absolute top of an open series like that is throw more money at it than anyone else. And there are already people throwing serious money at it. There's always someone with a bigger visa card no matter what.

A third overall in that series is absolutely superb going.

Maybe having a go at Hillclimb instead, or a Radical series in England?

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Fab stuff............. you are going great in it.

Problem with single seater is......... you need a fresh F3 to compete with the others - fair $$ and really high to keep on top of, the really big single seaters are even more money - 'could' be less to run, but then if something does go wrong can be really eye watering........

you are absolutely right reliability is critical IF a class/championship is your goal..... i good F3 is a great shout for that..... if you want outright wins/lap records, then one of the big single seaters is the way to go.

the SR8 coudl be a good shout for championships... as you'll be there or there abouts in terms of outright pace.... could/should be reliable, and ultimately if there are any wheel touching... you will fair off better than the single seaters... kirkistown, bishopscourt & mondello int will suit your big car well... mondello nat will bring the F3s hard to work with

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Kirkistown and the Leinster Trophy is on this weekend. Qualifying Friday and race day is Saturday.
Here is formula Boss standings at the minute. 2 races can be dropped. Let’s hope I don’t regret missing that first day.
635FDB91-5835-4819-AFF0-EFB310A497EB.png

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Race 2 with commentary. Delighted to finish 3rd in this race really had to dig in to get past the other radical in the last couple of laps. 😎
Qualifying tomorrow at Kirkistown for the big races on Saturday. Anyone looking something to do I’m sure it will be a great watch. Spectators are allowed

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Can you spectate on Friday and Saturday, would love to take a trip down tomorrow to see this in action again.
Yes I’m sure you can spectate tomorrow too. All the boss cars are in the garages. Think our qualifying session isn’t to 5.30 but we have 30 mins of the track before that in the afternoon too.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Unfortunately it wasn’t to be for me. We noticed the car had a misfire just as we were about to start race 1. We couldn’t race an take the risk of wrecking such an expensive engine so called it a day.
Here’s a wee lap of Kirkistown anyhow on the Friday.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Also this just happened too so the radical will probably be going to a new home. I’d love to be able to afford to keep them both thou 😢
Will maybe have to start a new tread for this but basically it used to be driven by George Russell an was also recently owned by Cian Carey. Dallara F317 Toyota Piedrafita
09356C43-72A6-477C-BC2C-7B7236E877C1.jpeg

6F944E32-15E0-4C1E-A429-57786D56CA40.jpeg

F58F4F5D-B48C-4AF7-B4FE-7BC9F56FC049.jpeg
79314824-C668-41D9-91F6-402D860BD6DD.jpeg