Recommendations on a good set of components

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dj shaft

Hello,
Could you recommend to me what a good set of components and the price ranges I should be looking at? I'm not going entering any comps and have a sub and amp to go in the boot so just want some quailty sound up front.

Cheers
Conor

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
friends of mine have used the yellow pioneer components in there doors, have 2 say they work brilliantly with one sub and an amp. think they were £90 from ards autoparts and came with tweeters.

Woodsie

RMS Regular
Drives
F21 125d
How much you looking to spend? What size components can you fit in the your doors? and what are the sub and amp you will be running?

Woodsie

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
ChrisGFC said:
friends of mine have used the yellow pioneer components in there doors, have 2 say they work brilliantly with one sub and an amp. think they were £90 from ards autoparts and came with tweeters.

All components will have tweeters man!!

As for quality comps...look at JL, PG, Diamond, Boston or Focal. Prices range from just over £100 and can range into the thousands so its up to you!!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
speak to pablo and pm him

he has a set of PG elite t16's at a great price - ultimate comps

amazing components - i have them!!

Dj shaft

OP
Dj shaft
Cheers Boydie will do.

I was thinking of running a 12" Audiobahn AWC12T sub with a Alpine MRD-M605 Mono Class-D Amp.

Its my first system and is going into a Toyota sprinter Trueno.

Cheers
Conor

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
i'm a dynaudio fan, starting price of many £££££££££££££££££s
love JL for budget speakers too, loud and clear for a couple of hundred
hard to beat Focal, Diamond, Alpine and many others..... just listen to them and make up your own mind..... these are for your ears and they aren't the same as the ones on the side of my head.....
If you like Boshmann, buy Boschmann.... it's simple! lol
p.s. don't buy Boschmann..........
Peace
Del

pablo

RMS Moderator
sold my elites a while ago - still got my own set gathering dust waiting on funds for builds but they are 5.25" not sure what u need mate.

alpine type-s comps get good reviews if on a budget (100ish) and as cartunes says the more expensive ones will come down to taste.

I also like the PG Octane ZR components if running low power but these are just personal pref.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
.....oh yeah Pablo, I forgot to plug the old faithful Phoenix Golds.... top speakers!

ewok

RMS Regular
i have had a few sets of components and i have now got polk momos the first phase later versions were cheaply made and there **** hot for sq and spl

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
can't go wrong with alpine, i have a set in the megane and they are great

ewok

RMS Regular
yeah pablo the later ones were smaller with metal covers and sounded **** in comparasion dam good speaker. also i cant knock alpine as i am a fan

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
i also have a cracking sub for sale

its a RE SE 12" - a real kicker

i had 2 of these in my boot which was grand but i took one out and just this singel sub (getting 500w rms) is such a thumper!

pm me for more info

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Cartunes said:
i'm a dynaudio fan, starting price of many £££££££££££££££££s
love JL for budget speakers too, loud and clear for a couple of hundred
hard to beat Focal, Diamond, Alpine and many others..... just listen to them and make up your own mind..... these are for your ears and they aren't the same as the ones on the side of my head.....
If you like Boshmann, buy Boschmann.... it's simple! lol
p.s. don't buy Boschmann..........
Peace
Del

so you wouldnt take a set of jl zrs then ? ^o)
theyre hardly budget speakers and are more costly thana set of dyn 240's depending on tweeter(esotar or not) but yes they do make a budget , mid range and top of the line sets of speakers so they can cater to all price brackets.

are you running dyns? they are excellent speakers although can have a harsh top end which can sometimes mean modifiying the crossover to knock it back down by 3db.

diamond dont rate very highly in my own opinion as i have never like the sound of the top end and the way they reproduce anything over the 3-4 khz mark.

in the budget stakes of around 100 pounds my brands would be

JL,focal,alpine,(maybe diamond if your keen on them) possibly kenwood, phoenix gold, they all do nice speakers in all price ranges

if your looking to go really high end then look at the likes of :

-Phoenix gold
-focal
-jl audio
-morel usa or morel israel
-dynaudio with the esotar tweeter and 8 inch midbass or the three way set.
-image dynamics if you can find them
-dls

theres more but thats just off the top of my head.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
a guy i know is putting a PAIR of morel wr8s into EACH DOOR! not sure of the power but i think each pair will get around 500-600 rms ;) thats some serious midbass and quality sound there and no hes not sponsored or making a show car, its his daily driver and hes just seriously keen! ;)

stuartyp

RMS Regular
i am running boston z5 and z6s they sound class wouldnt change them for anything make yourself a list of makes and just listen to dealers cars with the speakers in them

-Pete-

RMS Regular
yep forgot to mention bostons get a good review but ive never heard them personally.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
andy_gdon said:
All components will have tweeters man!!

ummmm.... not necessarily! A component SET of speakers will normally have tweeters, but not always. A pair of subwoofers are component speakers. Where are the tweeters there? A pair of mids are component speakers...... shall I go on?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.........

Berrlyium Bob

RMS Member
Drives
Astra GSi
Diamond components are awesome

A lot of competition cars run Diamond components and generally win. Especially the Diamond Hexs which were reduced severley last year I think. The silk tweeter (rather than ali) are detailed and smooth. The mids have serious mid bass kick too (y) You would also be buying a brand that not every charlie has - and isn't being sold out to a local bike shop retailer. High end equipment at reasonable spondoolahs. Makes sense

Diamond of Focal - you would not be disappointed ;)

pablo

RMS Moderator
Cartunes said:
ummmm.... not necessarily! A component SET of speakers will normally have tweeters, but not always. A pair of subwoofers are component speakers. Where are the tweeters there? A pair of mids are component speakers...... shall I go on?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.........

no need to be a smart arse :relieved:

SuitorMenswear

RMS Regular
As usual a few of u just cant wait!. Its turned into a usual RMS ' i know more than you' thread!

As any of u knowalls should know, a speaker sound has as much to do with the source signal, the amp, the positioning and the enclosures. So to say one speaker is better or worse than another is dodgy. ITs all opinion and all speakers sound different in different situations.

So for a guy who just wants a decent set of components, just give him an answer and stop tryin to 'flex' ur audiophile knowledge!!

Sorry for the rant. Well, not really!

Anyway! DJ Shaft, just go to ur local dealer, ask them whats the best speaker for around 150-200 quid, and buy them! Sorted.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.