RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@JayT what size are you building? I'm just thinking if you're building it yourself what way does that work with planning or building control?

Don't think it needs anything like that if it's below a certain height as it's a collapsible structure. Like building a massive greenhouse with metal sheeting instead of glass.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Don't think it needs anything like that if it's below a certain height as it's a collapsible structure. Like building a massive greenhouse with metal sheeting instead of glass.

I'm looking at putting up a large garage at our house. It'll be a steel one approx 15m x 8m and from what I've started to read I don't think I'll need planning for it but if it's over 30m2 it'll need building regulations. I stand to be corrected and hopefully I'm wrong. If that is the case though can someone tell me what's involved with that side of it?

I'll be digging away a back and putting up a 5ft high retaining wall behind the building. From what I'm reading I don't need any permission for that side of it as it's not along a road.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I'm looking at putting up a large garage at our house. It'll be a steel one approx 15m x 8m and from what I've started to read I don't think I'll need planning for it but if it's over 30m2 it'll need building regulations. I stand to be corrected and hopefully I'm wrong. If that is the case though can someone tell me what's involved with that side of it?

I'll be digging away a back and putting up a 5ft high retaining wall behind the building. From what I'm reading I don't need any permission for that side of it as it's not along a road.

Have a read at section 4

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Right, air tools...... What brand and where to get from?

Have done some research and think the likes of CP would do me fine. Obviously Snap On would be great but I'm not paying that kind of money when I just tinker about in the shed, different if I was working every day all day on stuff.

Is used a good option? Seem to hold money well enough going by ebay prices!

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Our new garage will be 8x8m. At the moment I am torn between going for double doors or one larger single door, pros & cons for both in my head. Anyone here got a garage a similar size, with single or double doors, to give me an idea and what are your thoughts?

Will most likely be going for insulated sectional door(s) rather than roller.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000

Have done some research and think the likes of CP would do me fine. Obviously Snap On would be great but I'm not paying that kind of money when I just tinker about in the shed, different if I was working every day all day on stuff.

I have decent stuff for tools that are used regularly, snap on impact gun, tengtool ratchet, atlas copco drill and the rest of the tools that I don't use often like air hammers, spray guns are sealey or ebay specials. I picked up branded stuff cheap enough when they came up on offers.

Last edited:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I have decent stuff for tools that are used regularly, snap on impact gun, tengtool ratchet, atlas copco drill and the rest of the tools that I don't use often like air hammers, spray guns are sealey or ebay specials. I picked up branded stuff cheap enough when they came up on offers.

Was thinking that also, get good stuff for the stuff that will be well used and cheaper stuff for wee bits and pieces.

I see Midland Air Tools are doing a few wee CP bundles so may just buy one of them to get me started

MarkM

RMS Regular
Thanks Mark. That confirms I don't need planning permission as it'll meet all that criteria. The building control side of it is the part I'm unsure of. From what I gather I'll need to have them involved but is it something I inform them of after and they come inspect it or do they do it at each stage?

Agreed, easier to work with them, call them and inform them of your plans to keep yourself right imo

MarkM

RMS Regular
Our new garage will be 8x8m. At the moment I am torn between going for double doors or one larger single door, pros & cons for both in my head. Anyone here got a garage a similar size, with single or double doors, to give me an idea and what are your thoughts?

Will most likely be going for insulated sectional door(s) rather than roller.

I decided to go with 2, one permanent bay for the car, no shuffling about and in my head keeps the clean/detailing bit separate, not letting rain etc in and also keeping the car out of sight out of mind if I’m using the garage for something else as mine will be visible from the road.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I decided to go with 2, one permanent bay for the car, no shuffling about and in my head keeps the clean/detailing bit separate, not letting rain etc in and also keeping the car out of sight out of mind if I’m using the garage for something else as mine will be visible from the road.

Yeh with one it’s all or nothing, whereas with two I can open them independently. Thankfully mine will not be visible from the road but good to consider.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
My sheds are built to plans that pass building control standards, i never had them round to be honest but I think they would just look it over when finished to make sure its right, involving them through the whole process will keep you right i'd imagine but I doubt its necessary. Last shed I put up was 50m x 30m and no one has looked at it or near it.

A good friend works for building control so I can ask her when I see her i suppose

I will add when I made the steel roof for my garage to replace the flat one I had an issue cause my neighbour phoned planning to complain. Planning came out and looked and said it was fine and planning wasnt required.

MarkM

RMS Regular
My sheds are built to plans that pass building control standards, i never had them round to be honest but I think they would just look it over when finished to make sure its right, involving them through the whole process will keep you right i'd imagine but I doubt its necessary. Last shed I put up was 50m x 30m and no one has looked at it or near it.

A good friend works for building control so I can ask her when I see her i suppose

I will add when I made the steel roof for my garage to replace the flat one I had an issue cause my neighbour phoned planning to complain. Planning came out and looked and said it was fine and planning wasnt required.

I built a timber garage at my last house, didn’t inform building control but did actually ask the neighbours if they had any objections. The surveyor for the buyers came out, asked him if he wanted to see in the garage to be told it’s not his concern as it’s a temporary structure :grinning: I have actually told my neighbour this time too, he’s a field away and couldn’t care less lol

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives

I’ve ingersoll rand stuff and it’s been great along with their compressor, power air in lisburn are great to deal with and are a dealer for their stuff.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I’ve ingersoll rand stuff and it’s been great along with their compressor, power air in lisburn are great to deal with and are a dealer for their stuff.

Forgot all about Ingersoll lol, will look up their stuff tonight 👍🏻

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Not a great start but the finished product would still be worth it if you can clear the air (y)

Got back on track with him and got the base detail through hopefully plain sailing here on in. The finished product is one of the better ones I have viewed so happy things are moving again.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Oh dear hopefully things get going better for you! Had the guy laying mine out yesterday afternoon and he keen to get cracking, at that point I had no detail so said I would get back in touch when I knew more. If you need a guy give me a shout and I can pass his number on if you stuck (I'm Ards area if that any way handy for you)

MarkM

RMS Regular
Oh dear hopefully things get going better for you! Had the guy laying mine out yesterday afternoon and he keen to get cracking, at that point I had no detail so said I would get back in touch when I knew more. If you need a guy give me a shout and I can pass his number on if you stuck (I'm Ards area if that any way handy for you)

Thanks but I’m outside Randalstown, worth an ask though if mine messes about (y)

Chris0

RMS Regular
Is there much work in getting a drain put in when they are doing the base? Was thinking it would be handy if it's raining and the car is brought in or if I'm finishing cleaning it?

Also what way does it work for water and electric being put in? Hoping to get a sink at the back if possible

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T

Be interested to hear how things go, I'm just outside Ards and seriously considering one of these steel garages.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Is there much work in getting a drain put in when they are doing the base? Was thinking it would be handy if it's raining and the car is brought in or if I'm finishing cleaning it?

Also what way does it work for water and electric being put in? Hoping to get a sink at the back if possible

I’m having a 4” sewer pipe from the house turned up inside one corner of the base, pull services through it when I get that far

MarkM

RMS Regular
@MarkM does your style garage have part of the baseframe sunk into the Concrete? And did they recommend a base size bigger than the garage frame or exact?

No it’s bolted down on top, it has a skirt that goes over the Edge of the base which I like.....It can be cleanly taken down and moved.
BAD0DEAD-27AB-4766-9731-B8C8E32B8A69.jpeg