RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Is there much work in getting a drain put in when they are doing the base? Was thinking it would be handy if it's raining and the car is brought in or if I'm finishing cleaning it?

Also what way does it work for water and electric being put in? Hoping to get a sink at the back if possible

Guy laying my base is sticking a small drain infront of garage directed towards storm drain. I'm going to get him to leave a point for getting electric cable brought in.

Be interested to hear how things go, I'm just outside Ards and seriously considering one of these steel garages.

When mine is installed you are welcome to come have a look at mine.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I would deffo recommend a drain under where u park car with floor sloped down towards it. If car goes in wet u will get puddles otherwise.

Ragin I didnt!!

Although I jnew where I was going to put a sink and sunk a 4in drain connection in the slab there which is tidy. And a 4 in pipe for electric and water at the other corner.

Edit. Also think about drain locations outside for rainwater from roof

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
No I'm not looking. I built my own sheds out of box section and painted them with red oxide, then bought my cladding and trims off of washing bay shed and finished them myself. I'm currently looking to put in a new 10m x 5m so will be interesting to see how I fair out money wise compared to your quote. Just need to get intouch with lightning about a new mig welder.

How much was the cladding from washing bay and for how much?
I've the ability to do the frame like you have done but when I priced the cladding I was coming out near as much as one of the companies doing it.

FrankXK8

RMS Regular
Drives
XKR
Guys, need some help understanding what I need to order. My garage is tall enough that I can build a mezzanine in it, I want to box off one corner so that it's a 4500mm wide, 2200mm tall, 6500mm long box for a car with the mezzanine above. Going to use wood studs and joists, capped with plywood. No idea on sizing, so....

For the studs, would 100mm x 50mm be okay ?
And for the joists, would 47mm x 225mm work ?
Concrete wall along the north and east sides, open on the west and south.

Top down view:
1592822799576.png

Side view:

1592822771604.png

Chris0

RMS Regular
Bit cheeky of me but is there anybody with a steel 6x4m garage around Lisburn/Belfast that wouldn't mind me having a nosey around theirs?

I don't have a huge back garden and want to make sure I'm making the right decision to fit the car and everything in properly. Also to see an example or two of different finishes from a few companies before I start torturing any business pages.

I promise I'm not dodgy 😂

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
I have a brand new unfitted white pvc window which was ordered twice by mistake if anyone is building anything , will throw up a for sale thread later

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Folk with these galvanised metal garage in & around the 7m x 4m size, or any of that matter, I'm assuming the roof pitch is quite similar? I'm trying to gauge the amount of storage I'd have above the car.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Folk with these galvanised metal garage in & around the 7m x 4m size, or any of that matter, I'm assuming the roof pitch is quite similar? I'm trying to gauge the amount of storage I'd have above the car.

If it’s kept under planning permission you’ll have next to no storage above the main area
Here’s the drawing for mine
CF7EEC28-8B50-4DEF-9083-0F6671F22761.jpeg

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
If it’s kept under planning permission you’ll have next to no storage above the main area
Here’s the drawing for mine
View attachment 285096

Appreciate the reply thanks. Currently got a shed where the garage will go, once the garage is in I'm looking to see what guff I can move over (bonnets/door panels etc)

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
@MarkM - You mention planning. We're currently looking at moving and if I can't get a double garage, the next best thing is space to put up one of these sheds. What do I need to consider if I do? Overall size, height, distance from boundary? Apologies if I'm assuming here, just you seem to have good experience with this.

MarkM

RMS Regular
@MarkM - You mention planning. We're currently looking at moving and if I can't get a double garage, the next best thing is space to put up one of these sheds. What do I need to consider if I do? Overall size, height, distance from boundary? Apologies if I'm assuming here, just you seem to have good experience with this.

It’s really not very strict at all for these type of buildings, this is NI building control guidelines in their entirety!
B6BC1311-35E9-42FB-B7EE-20E123FCF91D.jpeg

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Just note thats planning guidelines re. Permitted development and not building control. Whilst you wont need planning permission if you stick within those reqs, you may still need building control out to say its grand.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Just note thats planning guidelines re. Permitted development and not building control. Whilst you wont need planning permission if you stick within those reqs, you may still need building control out to say its grand.
Only if you tell them 🤔