RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

jonny.92

RMS Regular
Finally got my roller door fitted at the end of last week, looks like a garage now!

The seal between the door and the concrete isn't 100% perfect, not a big deal really but I've ordered a weather strip to fix to the floor to get a better seal. I'd assumed the door would flex to take up the slack, but its a roll instead of a shutter so not much movement in it. It survived the torrential rain over the weekend without any water ingress, so I'm not too bothered.

I was worried about it being really tight inside with the A6 in, but there's plenty of room to walk around the whole car, and get doors open thankfully.

20200819_125018.jpg

20200820_114022.jpg

20200821_110002.jpg

20200821_190708-01.jpeg

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I got hik vision colour vue ones with a hikvison NVR with a 4TB hard drive. Not exactly sure how many weeks it’ll hold. Only 2 cameras but think I’ll add a 3rd.

I’ve an 8 channel NVR so can add more if I want
Where did you get it from? Looking at NVR myself

AC

RMS Regular
Had a few friends round on Saturday for some poker after moving a few things around, fired an under counter fridge in, a PS4 with GranTurismo and pulled the fire pit over towards the rear door to bring in some heat. It went down pretty well

57EF3D14-AB0D-47FA-A6FE-D8EDF4B80B34.jpeg

9FEDC9A2-DD2E-4F4D-90D8-0913418351EB.jpeg

CB583C14-9260-4ADB-A785-A1727E2D495A.jpeg

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Finally got my roller door fitted at the end of last week, looks like a garage now!

The seal between the door and the concrete isn't 100% perfect, not a big deal really but I've ordered a weather strip to fix to the floor to get a better seal. I'd assumed the door would flex to take up the slack, but its a roll instead of a shutter so not much movement in it. It survived the torrential rain over the weekend without any water ingress, so I'm not too bothered.

I was worried about it being really tight inside with the A6 in, but there's plenty of room to walk around the whole car, and get doors open thankfully.

View attachment 292203

View attachment 292204

View attachment 292205

View attachment 292208

That looks like a decent size without being OTT. What's the dimensions and did you do it yourself?

I have an area where I would like to make a lean to type shed/garage so probably looking at constructing myself with box section as I will need very little frame and then sourcing the paneling

jonny.92

RMS Regular
That looks like a decent size without being OTT. What's the dimensions and did you do it yourself?

I have an area where I would like to make a lean to type shed/garage so probably looking at constructing myself with box section as I will need very little frame and then sourcing the paneling

The shed is 3.5m * 7m, but the concrete base extends another 6m in front for a wash bay. Yes I did it myself with the help of my father in law, a lot of work but it cost around 20% of a new base+shed put in by the likes of H2. I bought the shed 2nd hand and dismantled/transported it home ourselves. I was originally looking at an 8ft * 10ft garden shed, so you can see it got a little out of hand :joy:

40mm box section will be fine for the frame, but you'll probably need something heavier for the garage door. I got the door through DoorMatics in Ballynahinch who fitted the door/motor etc., but we got the frame for the door sorted ourselves. Door frame is made out of 6" * 3" box section.

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Just with all the door talk..

I've tidied up my Horman sectional door this month as a decade of salt air had made it a bit 'rustic' in more ways than one. Wire wheeled the rust spots, slapped rust convertor everywhere and have just applied a coat of zinc primer today. Pretty much ready for a top coat once we get another break in the weather that's coming in.

When it comes to top coats, has anyone used plastidip to finish their door? Seen nothing but fancy photos of folks using it on their house window and door frames on facebook but seems a bit too good to be true?

20200824_190044.jpg

Poor old place needs tidy up at this point, figure a fresh lick of paint on the cards for next year.

thefool1983

RMS Regular

Good job.

Something doesn't look quite plumb with the door... looks like its lower on the rhs in all pics which is prob affecting the seal at the bottom.

Jason

RMS Regular
1598299451150.png

1598299489399.png

1598299536068.png

More progress on our garage.

Scaffolding removed, starting to strip back old wiring and air lines that won't be used to make way for the painters coming to paint the place inc the steel work. Thinking on a good strong mid grey, white gets grubby too quickly.

Also started to panel fence the laneway and create splays. More on that later in the week.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
Good job.

Something doesn't look quite plumb with the door... looks like its lower on the rhs in all pics which is prob affecting the seal at the bottom.

Yes, so the garage floor isn't 100% level at the front left in the photos, which means the frame leans ever so slightly to that side. We laid the base ourselves and didn't have a laser level or anything, and got it 'close enough'.

When we were welding in the frame for the door, we made it square with the box section of the shed, thinking that the door would get mounted square to the frame.

When the guys turned up to fit the door though, they said it had to be completely level to prevent sticking/jams so they were using a laser level to mount it. There's only about 10mm drop across 3.5m in the worst spot, so it's not awful by any means, the door just won't take up the slack as it's a single piece instead of a shutter type that would settle onto the ground better.

I cut the tin to sit below the header of the door frame, so the door doesn't look obviously off axis at a glance.

Ive ordered a weather strip rubber seal thing to fix to the floor which will bridge the gap on the left side in the photos.
@Jas Lad for the steelwork, the frame of my shed above is done with Johnstons Agri Grey Oxide and I really rate it.

It goes on real easy and dries to a semi gloss. I was painting the frame outside in the rain last year and it still dried out to a nice finish. Hopefully should keep the rust at bay for a few years.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(

I've tidied up my Horman sectional door this month as a decade of salt air had made it a bit 'rustic' in more ways than one. Wire wheeled the rust spots, slapped rust convertor everywhere and have just applied a coat of zinc primer today. Pretty much ready for a top coat once we get another break in the weather that's coming in.

When it comes to top coats, has anyone used plastidip to finish their door? Seen nothing but fancy photos of folks using it on their house window and door frames on facebook but seems a bit too good to be true?

View attachment 292263

Poor old place needs tidy up at this point, figure a fresh lick of paint on the cards for next year.
View looks fantastic 👍🏻

Gavlar

RMS Regular

View attachment 292263

Is there a thread of the Caldina??

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
View looks fantastic 👍🏻

Have to admit, it's a serious plus point:

20190719_060321.jpg

Can't see it from the garage floor though!

Is there a thread of the Caldina??

I haven't bothered with one on here, figured it wasn't german enough lol

Back on topic - would anyone discourage plastidipping the garage door? Was looking at the Frost range of liquid stuff as a potential purchase. Might even try one of the window frames as a test subject..

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Have to admit, it's a serious plus point:

View attachment 292440

Can't see it from the garage floor though!

I haven't bothered with one on here, figured it wasn't german enough lol

Back on topic - would anyone discourage plastidipping the garage door? Was looking at the Frost range of liquid stuff as a potential purchase. Might even try one of the window frames as a test subject..
Big jap fan!! Get one up!

Garage looks the job too (y)

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5

View attachment 292203

View attachment 292204

View attachment 292205

View attachment 292208

That looks great, what width is the roller door ?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
How are you finding the liquid elements polisher bud?

I like it. It's a nice tool for small jobs, but I'd like to put it up against the Rupes iBrid. From what I've seen people post online is that the iBrid has a bit more 'oomph' about it.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Yeah should have realised this day was going to come, when I wanted to extend the garage lol

took a few days off work and some of our machines managed to be at home in the yard which was a great surprise.

CF73DE3C-2F69-4EB8-B627-DD4BD771E2C5.jpeg

So spent the morning clearing out the space , had loads of timber and left over paving and crap gathering up .
A8F8C954-6458-4057-AC33-7FEE12D9F726.jpeg

got the extension marked out

11F57504-D339-4CDF-AA7D-E05429AD1E16.jpeg

Only got one side dug out this evening as the lawn needed a quick chop .

So I’m going with a 7m long and 5m wide extension, with cavity wall and will dash at some stage to match in with the existing, going to have a floated and brushed floor for handiness as we have a float at work lol .

I dont have enough slates to roof the whole thing so I’m just going to put non drop tin on it . I managed to find some big galvanised steel purlinsin the yard from a shed we dismantled a few years back so that’s half the battle .

going to try and do this as cheaply as possible so the wife doesn’t divorce me.

just need to figure out what I’m going to do with doors . Might be able to get a cheap pvc door from a supplier we work with but got a price of 800 for an electric roller door .He said that it was a heavier door and he could do a lighter door for 400. Anyone priced doors lately?