RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Can't agree with that, my old shed was powerfloated and was dusty until sealed. Bare concrete is just dusty by nature in my opinion. I always thought powerfloating was just to speed up large area work as bull floating and vibrofloating is less time efficient.

My floor is powerfloated and is a smooth dust free finish.

If I spilt oil on it, I can wipe it off easily without it soaking in

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
New workbench incoming, TIL that £50 worth of timber is now £90 and that a lwb transporter is 12 foot from dashboard to tailgate.
IMG_20210219_135029.jpg

Last edited:

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
We've been in the new house a couple of months now so going to make a start on kitting out the garage. Currently head scratching my way through how much material I need to insulate the walls, stud them out and line with plywood, ceiling, loft floor, etc. Going to fit a proper loft hatch with folding ladder for easy access. Also trying to plan out where to put sockets and how many (N+1) etc. Any advice regarding LED battens - what size, how many, where from? Garage is roughly 6m x 4m. Initially thinking two rows of two running longways (similar to what's there now) and a fifth over the workbench in the back left corner. Thoughts and any other ideas?

DSC_8403-01.jpeg

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
New workbench incoming, TIL that £50 worth of timber is now £90 and that a lwb transporter is 12 foot from dashboard to tailgate.View attachment 312857
Going up again on 1st March too I’m told
We've been in the new house a couple of months now so going to make a start on kitting out the garage. Currently head scratching my way through how much material I need to insulate the walls, stud them out and line with plywood, ceiling, loft floor, etc. Going to fit a proper loft hatch with folding ladder for easy access. Also trying to plan out where to put sockets and how many (N+1) etc. Any advice regarding LED battens - what size, how many, where from? Garage is roughly 6m x 4m. Initially thinking two rows of two running longways (similar to what's there now) and a fifth over the workbench in the back left corner. Thoughts and any other ideas?

View attachment 312856
My old garage was a similar size and I had 3 single tubes, one on each side and 1 at the end over the bench. Was plenty. Input 4 double sockets along each wall and tbh it was overkill. Put 2 doubles at your main work area at the bench and then 2 doubles down each wall. One of them right at the door is handy if doing stuff outside. Most tools these days are battery powered so sockets are becoming redundant.

loft ladders are handy but they are bulky. Sometimes it’s easier to use a stepladder to get use of the full access hole size.

Last edited:

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti

View attachment 312856
In 3m X 5m single garage I have 2 of the 30 quid Screwfix 4ft led batons and it's plenty, so 4 will be loads of light.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Was too impatient to wait till tomorrow to build stuff.

Two matching cupboard units to add at the start of March. Floor is decidedly in level so need to make some adjustable feet to bring the cabinet's up flush under the bench, had hoped to have them flat on the floor but there must be 1-2 cm difference from the edges to the middle of the 40 year old concrete floor.
IMG-20210219-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20210219-WA0009.jpeg

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
@MarkM do you have a tap inside your shed for your setup ? Exactly the kinda idea I have once garage is up. Thinking indoor tap and power sockets in same area would allow me to hook everything up and prevent the need to pull washer, extension leads, hose all out every time.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do you have an outside tap nearby Carson? I have one on the outside wall of my garage, so all I need to do is bring the hose round the corner and plug it in, literally 3m max. I didn’t fancy the idea of having a tap actually inside. Though granted now we have a toilet and there are taps at the sink!

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Do you have an outside tap nearby Carson? I have one on the outside wall of my garage, so all I need to do is bring the hose round the corner and plug it in, literally 3m max. I didn’t fancy the idea of having a tap actually inside. Though granted now we have a toilet and there are taps at the sink!
I was thinking of similar, putting a hose through the wall with a hozelock connector so I can pull the hose over from the side of the house but I don't have to dig up the place to get water to the garage permanently.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
The garage isn’t built yet so thankfully can do whatever works best. I plan on putting an outdoor tap on garage wall which would be for gardening etc.

Granted I could use that fine for the cars but my thought process was having an indoor tap would allow me to set power washer up inside garage door and then it’s just a case of turning on the tap and lifting the lance each time.

Pulling everything out each time is the bit I hate.

MarkM

RMS Regular
@MarkM do you have a tap inside your shed for your setup ? Exactly the kinda idea I have once garage is up. Thinking indoor tap and power sockets in same area would allow me to hook everything up and prevent the need to pull washer, extension leads, hose all out every time.

Not a tap as such but it’s permanently piped to the washer and the vessels, I have a bib tap outside and after every use I drain the pipe work inside the garage.

water enters through the board at the yellow arrow, red arrow is the lever valve for the vessels and green is the power washer, saves such a lot of faffing about

318B14A7-6C0C-463C-B2CC-41D0DA198F48.jpeg

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Yeh so I’m thinking with the tap inside the garage door I could add a dual tap connector to give two independent feeds. As below.

One to the power washer with a small length of hose, and the second to the DI vessel. I’d just put a separate hose connection on output of the vessel for final rinse as I don’t see the need to run it through the power washer.

As mentioned the main objective is conveniently being able to turn on the tap and lift the lance out of the garage door to start washing. I am sure that is super handy @MarkM

c74f19bf-d8d9-483c-b146-d9b6993ee25f.jpg._CB485916762__SL300__.jpg

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Anyone able give advice on a new shed leaking? Water is seeping between the tongue and groove, primarily on the gable that faces the wind though the opposite side isn't just as bad. 2 sides have guttering and don't seem as bad.

It's been built using tanalised timber, 19mm boards, tin roof with a felt underlay.

The guy who built it had it in his heated dried garage for a week and put a coat of Cuprinol ducksback on. I'm not sure if the timber needs time just to settle in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210220-102356_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-102356_WhatsApp.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20210220-102908_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-102908_WhatsApp.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 72

stevenM

RMS Regular
Drives
MAS3200/KMG/190E

View attachment 312856
I use these... recommend! You can get bigger and smaller sizes but these ones sit well in terms of price and size. https://cpc.farnell.com/v-tac/668-vt-8-50/grill-fitting-50w-led-150cm-4000k/dp/LA07401

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeh so I’m thinking with the tap inside the garage door I could add a dual tap connector to give two independent feeds. As below.

One to the power washer with a small length of hose, and the second to the DI vessel. I’d just put a separate hose connection on output of the vessel for final rinse as I don’t see the need to run it through the power washer.

As mentioned the main objective is conveniently being able to turn on the tap and lift the lance out of the garage door to start washing. I am sure that is super handy @MarkM

c74f19bf-d8d9-483c-b146-d9b6993ee25f.jpg._CB485916762__SL300__.jpg

It’s inevitable fittings like that are going to drip/leak on the floor.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
It’s inevitable fittings like that are going to drip/leak on the floor.

Yeh valid point, I wonder if the brass ones would be any better. Will think it over, it’s not the most important thing in the world but as I am sure you know all these little things go around your head when building :sweat:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Stick a Belfast sink in the garage with hot a cold running water and have a hose tap that discharges into the sink if nothing is attached. My dad did this in the parents house (mostly for me washing the car when I lived at home) but it’s great. Good for bucket filling and for using the aul swarfega aswell

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Stick a Belfast sink in the garage with hot a cold running water and have a hose tap that discharges into the sink if nothing is attached. My dad did this in the parents house (mostly for me washing the car when I lived at home) but it’s great. Good for bucket filling and for using the aul swarfega aswell
Yes, this kind of thing far better, especially if set up like a janitor sink with the taps on the wall, way higher than the sink so you can get a bucket underneath.

Reactions: dub

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Anyone able give advice on a new shed leaking? Water is seeping between the tongue and groove, primarily on the gable that faces the wind though the opposite side isn't just as bad. 2 sides have guttering and don't seem as bad.

It's been built using tanalised timber, 19mm boards, tin roof with a felt underlay.

The guy who built it had it in his heated dried garage for a week and put a coat of Cuprinol ducksback on. I'm not sure if the timber needs time just to settle in?

My house is always super windy and I get the same on the side which gets the worst of the weather. My shed is 8 years old so plenty of coats of paint on it and it still does it.

General dampness in winter doesn’t help matters.

Can’t really give you any advice as I also don’t know how to prevent it!

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car

Are the boards on upside down?

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Cheers @ChrisR my first thoughts were paint it again when we get a good dry spell and hoped that would maybe help

@lennyd I believe they're ok, tongue at the top, groove on the bottom

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Cheers @ChrisR my first thoughts were paint it again when we get a good dry spell and hoped that would maybe help

@lennyd I believe they're ok, tongue at the top, groove on the bottom
Might be worth while pulling the corners off and refitting them with a bead of silicone run up each side to see the water could be seeping in form along the ends? Other than that I'm out of ideas