RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I also used Brendan at Quality Steel Buildings and mine has been up over 5 years now. Great job, the design of them really is very good. I went for an 8 x 5

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's just crying out for a lift!
Oh yes, got my name down with redmount for a full height scissor lift. I've had the garage up a few years now but just started using it immediately rather than taking the time to properly finish it. I was working away and just never got enough time until now.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
0229B080-CF6C-456B-BF71-DF9870C06380.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
What's T&J, the plasterboard make? I think I just ordered plasterboard from Antrim builders, been a while sitting there now, I'm surprised it was straight enough to use tbh!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
What's T&J, the plasterboard make? I think I just ordered plasterboard from Antrim builders, been a while sitting there now, I'm surprised it was straight enough to use tbh!
Taping and jointing (y)
Normally people just board the garage and leave it at that

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
:p Ah right, not up on the TLA's lol..

Aye, I might be regretting that decision already. There are a lot of joints.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Got the keys to my first house yesterday and it's got a garage :grinning: first time I've ever had a garage so really looking forward to getting the Scooby out and into it.

IMG_20211127_150303.jpg

IMG_20211127_150246.jpg

Its not small at 11ft 10 (3m 60cm) wide x 36 ft (11m) long. Can't wait to get started properly on it but suppose I need to sort the house first.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I have a few questions for those who have already done this. I have to order some stone to build up the floor so it is level with the old garage floor. What stone type should I be asking for? I have access to a whacker plate, so I will be able to do that part myself.

Next up is what type of concrete do I need and what is the best depth for car use and a scissor lift. Also, do I need reinforced mesh put down? The floor is almost 14ft wide and approx 32ft long.

Finally, is it best to 'polish' the floor as I want a smooth finish, can this be done by me, or do I need a professional?

Finally, finally, is there an expansion gap needed and who/when does that bit get done?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Depending on depth, 2" clean stone and then a few inches of blinding all leveled and plated. Probably best to put a damp membrane down too though I didn't as I had about a 12" of stone down and stone all around it and theres no problem.

The concrete supplier will recommend a slump for a floor, I can't remember what mine was. You will need 2 or 3 people to help take it level as it's poured. Floor depth should be 5" of concrete but a scissor lift may put extra load on so go 6" and maybe reinforcement mesh but I'm not sure it's needed

I power floated mine as I wanted it to be sealed and smooth so I just put PVA out over it after a few weeks of drying. You could power float it yourself, it's just judging when to do it and in the temperatures we have it will take ages to go off.

I didn't put an expansion joint in mine and I do have 2 long cracks but they're very fine so not noticeable at all and that's in an 84m² area.

The lead time and cost of metal shed may be long and high now.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
The frame and structure came from a fella called Brendan, Quality Steel Buildings, I will PM a price, but I would recommend him. I think @mike150 used him for his shed too.
delete some messages -your inbox is full.
Could you send me the details about your shed etc too

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
For the past 5 years we have had a secondary storage unit. It has been used to keep our overflow of projects waiting and keeping my own stuff plus when you have the space inevitably you store junk for people too.

I want to really improve the experience when a customer comes to collect a car and a dedicated area for handover was always the plan.

It’s so hard to keep the workshop clean and tidy as it is very much a functioning workshop. I also wanted to improve it so we can up our game again and take us to another level, more on that later.

This started out as bare block building with a plain concrete floor full of cracks and chips.

So far I’ve knocked a wall down under the stairs and put a window in to open up the space and we are going to use it as a small office.

Had the whole building sprayed black, then had one of the walls clad in wood that the joiner stained to make it look weathered. The back wall had a window that we needed to block off so have had a stud wall knocked up to cover it. Which will be getting painted next weekend. We had the logo sprayed onto the wood panel in a weathered effect too, I think it looks awesome!

The floor was then done in epoxy resin. I wanted something that really looked incredible and something different from the usual. It’s also low maintenance and very hard wearing so should be simple to keep looking it’s best.

We have some very unique and cool lighting going up once it all arrives and then some really nice led custom signage and neon signage too.

I still don’t know if I’m wise as it’s well and truly blew any budget I had in mind when starting this but I don’t want to make any compromises, I have a vision in my head and I wouldn’t be happy with anything else. We finally could get cars back into it so I can position out the lighting.

All being well it should be completely finished before the end of this year!

90288D57-06E6-4CBC-AD91-A9B6A75C4C99.jpeg
8192AC19-3D97-4015-9E49-A05A94C4A22B.jpeg
04302745-9CD7-43A7-B8CE-CAB9E3866AEE.jpeg

So that leaves the main workshop to do at the beginning of the year. This frees us up to make it even more functional as it will no longer be used for photos our a customer facing environment.

The plans for it are tufftiles to the rear of the unit. Non slip epoxy in our wet work area. Refreshing the walls etc. A ton of new lighting, 2 scissor lifts, plumber air and then a canopy system as we are going to be doing dry ice cleaning 😎

I always want to try and up our game so can’t wait to get this all finished up!

Robert

RMS Trader
For the past 5 years we have had a secondary storage unit. It has been used to keep our overflow of projects waiting and keeping my own stuff plus when you have the space inevitably you store junk for people too.

I want to really improve the experience when a customer comes to collect a car and a dedicated area for handover was always the plan.

It’s so hard to keep the workshop clean and tidy as it is very much a functioning workshop. I also wanted to improve it so we can up our game again and take us to another level, more on that later.

This started out as bare block building with a plain concrete floor full of cracks and chips.

So far I’ve knocked a wall down under the stairs and put a window in to open up the space and we are going to use it as a small office.

Had the whole building sprayed black, then had one of the walls clad in wood that the joiner stained to make it look weathered. The back wall had a window that we needed to block off so have had a stud wall knocked up to cover it. Which will be getting painted next weekend. We had the logo sprayed onto the wood panel in a weathered effect too, I think it looks awesome!

The floor was then done in epoxy resin. I wanted something that really looked incredible and something different from the usual. It’s also low maintenance and very hard wearing so should be simple to keep looking it’s best.

We have some very unique and cool lighting going up once it all arrives and then some really nice led custom signage and neon signage too.

I still don’t know if I’m wise as it’s well and truly blew any budget I had in mind when starting this but I don’t want to make any compromises, I have a vision in my head and I wouldn’t be happy with anything else. We finally could get cars back into it so I can position out the lighting.

All being well it should be completely finished before the end of this year!

View attachment 342797View attachment 342798View attachment 342799

So that leaves the main workshop to do at the beginning of the year. This frees us up to make it even more functional as it will no longer be used for photos our a customer facing environment.

The plans for it are tufftiles to the rear of the unit. Non slip epoxy in our wet work area. Refreshing the walls etc. A ton of new lighting, 2 scissor lifts, plumber air and then a canopy system as we are going to be doing dry ice cleaning 😎

I always want to try and up our game so can’t wait to get this all finished up!
The floor turned out awesome Pete! 👍

Lee

RMS Regular
That looks unbelievable. The M3s look well sitting in there.

It's so different from the usual bright rubber tiles laid down in a pattern that you see now (not that there's anything wrong with that). But what you've done would be described as classy.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796