RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Sectional would be better insulated etc but I didn’t want the rails etc exposed on the roof and also lighting can be an issue although you can add it under the rails too

I went with insulated roller doors
Agree, I am going for insulated rollers.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Bit more progress yesterday and today. Shovelled out as much soft crap before the concrete for the foundations arrived today,

20211117_125308.jpg

20211117_132504.jpg

20211117_142845.jpg

20211118_082618.jpg

IMG-20211118-WA0005.jpg

20211118_093352.jpg

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Anybody any experience of these garage doors:

Or even know if this is a decent price? The £895 offer price.

The price quoted is for a plain white door and does go up fairly quickly once you start adding things. They do however cover NI which a lot of online places don't.

I used tilt-a-dor in Newtownards for my roller garage door. They have a showroom on Jubilee Road which is worth a look. They can quote by email too if providing measurements.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I used tilt-a-dor in Newtownards for my roller garage door. They have a showroom on Jubilee Road which is worth a look. They can quote by email too if providing measurements.

What sort of money were they taking if you don't mind me asking.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
What sort of money were they taking if you don't mind me asking.

From memory it was just under the £700, for black roller door, and fascia boards, generic size. I was very pleased with the work and timescales but this was 2years ago, so prices may have gone up.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
A question for anyone who had had to build a retaining wall, how did you keep the back of the brick from letting water through?

Once my retaining wall is built, I will have about 400mm to backfill with stone and top dress, I will also be putting a 4 inch perforated pipe at the bottom of the wall for drainage. So, what can I put behind the block before backfilling?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Sweet, I was looking as some mental stuff that was about £250 for 20m x 1m that also needed the brickwork plastered/rendered etc. My old man can get me a few rolls of 1200 gauge DPM. is there any benefit of doubling up on it?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The 1200 DPM would be fine. I used it on my garage wall which is built into a hill and it's still good 20yrs on.
Only thing I added was sheets of cheap hardboard so the DPM doesn't get pierced if there was a sharp stone in the backfill.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
For belts and braces you could go with a Fosroc product called Proofex which comes as a 20m x 1m roll, a primer and a protection board. We use it on stepped houses on the party wall substructures. Bit pricey but itll work.

Alternatively if it were me I'd likely go the DPM route but I'd add a bitumen sealer on the wall and a bit of protection board to stop the poly getting punctured.

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
A question for anyone who had had to build a retaining wall, how did you keep the back of the brick from letting water through?

Once my retaining wall is built, I will have about 400mm to backfill with stone and top dress, I will also be putting a 4 inch perforated pipe at the bottom of the wall for drainage. So, what can I put behind the block before backfilling?
use pea gravel, a 300mm wide drainage column immediately to the rear of the wall before you put in your backfill, i would make sure your backfill is a good grade aggrigate also Class 6N, Class 6I. Perforated pipe at the bottom. Failing that you could use weep holes within the retaining wall to allow pore pressure to come through the face but then you have to deal with algi.
1200 gauge DPM.
This isnt ideal at all, really wouldnt recommend this. What you are causing then is pore pressure to build behind the wall and no where for it to escape, you are going to cause overturning failure of the wall.

Have been designing retaining walls across the uk for 7 years.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Finished the first fix wiring for the lights last week and got the insulation up in the rafter section. After getting the freelander spruced up and checked over for mot yesterday, it was onto getting the plasterboard up. (y)
20211119_115440.jpg
20211123_170121.jpg
20211123_170145.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It was 4" / 100mm Extratherm (Kingspan a-like from MacBlair) on the rafter sections and glass wool for the joist sections. We finished all the plasterboarding today because we needed to return the screw gun (awesome piece of kit). Insulation on the high roof done as we went but we just did the plasterboard on the lower flat roof as we were pushing on to finish the boarding. I'm going to start the taping and filling etc tomorrow and the son will do the trap doors and a few plasterboard details around the girder beam.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Best nights sleep you'll get?!! 😜

Thought so myself too. The 5 year old, who normally needs woken up, decided he wanted to go for a pee (has his own en suit, but always uses ours 🤣) at 6am and that was me up LOL

On the other hand, I started work early, so can finish early and steal a wee 'dad nap' on the sofa 🤣🤣

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
We bought our house with a 20ft container included, but unfortunately it was patchy and letting in too much water. Considered repairs and then decided that longterm it would be replaced by a shed, so no point designing a garden around something subject to change. So in June the order was placed for its replacement.
Container out, some ground work done, and then this is the replacement, built at the start of the week. I am so pleased with the results.

10m x 5m and will be used mainly for storing my focus and the wife’s mg midget, with some space at the front for working on a car. It free’s the garage for more general DIY. Only daylight photo I have as dark evenings when I have been getting home.
27760F11-3C68-4457-B5DF-8425C349435A.jpeg

695DC29A-DA9A-40D5-82EC-83ADB7169369.jpeg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Who did you buy from @collyirwin11 ? I'll be making quite a few calls next week to get quotes myself.

I'm going 10x4, so if you wouldn't mind sharing what you paid so I can avoid mental prices, cheers 👍🏼