RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I’ve kept all my old ones too, but have never been able to decide how or where to mount them :worried:.
I used lengths of 2x1 which I attached to the wall and then used wee screws to attach the plates. Each screw uses the head part of it to hold the plate above and below. It's simple but it works and saves having to drill 100s of holes into the actual wall itself.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
No doors yet but the Mini moved in !

4CEB8CDE-63AA-430C-812E-832546E89D42.jpeg

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Doors are in Belfast docks awaiting customs clearance.
Approx. fitting date for 22nd Aug. Fingers crossed.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Chaps, is a 6m x 6m garage going to be reasonable enough space to store 2 cars and be able to work on one as well? I’m thinking one would need pulled out to properly work at the other, which isn’t necessarily a major problem. The other down side is its fitted with double doors and not one large single so wouldn’t be possible to just drive into the middle of the garage.

Anyone a similar sized set up?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My original garage was a 6x6 and you could fit two side by side and work on one but it's tight. Biggest issue is if you are removing say a bumper or undertray, theres nowhere to put it. I built a lean to at the back to fit all the gardening pruck and lawnmower etc to make the garage exclusively garage stuff but it's not really big enough, particularly if you want to store cars and work on them imo. I had/have a 12ft single door and had wished I had double doors at times too but yeah, the big single is better on that size of space. If you have the room, I'd be extending in both directions lol.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Chaps, is a 6m x 6m garage going to be reasonable enough space to store 2 cars and be able to work on one as well? I’m thinking one would need pulled out to properly work at the other, which isn’t necessarily a major problem. The other down side is its fitted with double doors and not one large single so wouldn’t be possible to just drive into the middle of the garage.

6x8 probably be ideal if u can fit it where you want or 8x8

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R

I have a 6x8m metal garage with the roller doors offset to the left. The spare space to the right is used for sink, treadmill, lawnmower etc but I need to clear out a load of stuff.

I managed a service on the mx5 with the front door open but I would imagine working on brakes, suspension etc while possible would be tight.

You're welcome to come have a look at mine if you're in the Ballyclare area of course.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have an L shaped bench that goes along the side and a bit along the back wall. That few feet really makes things tight back to front in the garage so I'm hoping to make a new bench along one side and all the parts washer, press, trolley jacks etc down the other so I have the back wall clear and a single good sized working bay in that section of the garage.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It’s built, so it’s going to be 6x6 or nothing.

I could get a shed for storing garden pruck / bikes and could floor the loft of the garage, so hopefully the floor will just be car work area with a workbench.

Ideally I would have a mid rise lift work bay one side and the other can take a car and perhaps that’s where the workbench could sit. Don’t know how feasible this is all going to be though - need to sit down and work it all out.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My neighbours had a window in the back wall of the garage so he made that into a wide door and put a small metal shed extension within the profile of the gable for about 10 or 12ft behind the garage. Big enough to use as a workshop/bench area away from the cars. You can't see it from the front or even the sides at all so it's not visible or an eyesore of any sort. He moved his oil tank to get the space behind the garage useable and hid it behind a hedge too. Makes it more useable but obviously depends on available space and access. Better having a 6x6 than nothing though. (y)

Last edited:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
CBAD6B6D-729F-4219-8E59-3A80B1E5C187.jpeg

A bit of shuffling today to work out a configuration on getting a fourth car into the shed if needed. Obviously this is helped massively by one of those cars being a midget. The passat belongs to my dad but is staying here temporarily, as he needed to free up some space in his garage.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
View attachment 371742

A bit of shuffling today to work out a configuration on getting a fourth car into the shed if needed. Obviously this is helped massively by one of those cars being a midget. The passat belongs to my dad but is staying here temporarily, as he needed to free up some space in his garage.
What size is that shed? It looks like an ideal size.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini

Yep, I’ve similar - well slightly wider, but 6m deep and it’s tight enough depending on what you’re doing tbh…another metre would make the world of difference

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Just wish I'd bought it 18months ago, when I first took the notion to re roof the shed...prices I'm getting are crackers

Just wait it out, with everyday essentials going through the roof and the vast majority of folks who had the cash for this sort of stuff already sorted. I would say tradesmen that would barely bother calling you back recently, will be very light on work in the next few months

MarkM

RMS Regular
Just wait it out, with everyday essentials going through the roof and the vast majority of folks who had the cash for this sort of stuff already sorted. I would say tradesmen that would barely bother calling you back recently, will be very light on work in the next few months

They will, but the price of steel is horrendous!

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
They will, but the price of steel is horrendous!

Maybe better labour rates will compensate, it could be do that or do nothing.

I fully believe in a fair days pay for a fair days work, but a lot of folks were ripping the bag out of the situation when absolutely everyone had nothing else to spend money on other than home upgrades. It could be a very different situation for quite a while for these folks.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Maybe better labour rates will compensate, it could be do that or do nothing.

I fully believe in a fair days pay for a fair days work, but a lot of folks were ripping the bag out of the situation when absolutely everyone had nothing else to spend money on other than home upgrades. It could be a very different situation for quite a while for these folks.

A few of our regulars have got a bit annoyed at our rates going up. I probably have implemented a £100 per day price increase across the board. With the price of chemicals, energy and insurance costs raising way beyond that.

One of them commented that I was a bit above my station on my days rate 😂 thought it was a bit cheeky. Especially when a few of my competitors charge double what we do and only do a single stage for that! Have it done in literally half the time.

It’s a funny wee country this and the price increases are making it hard to charge accordingly without people think you are taking the piss out of them.

This year has been PMGs lowest earner by about 45% in years. So much so, if it wasn’t for the other businesses I have balancing the whole thing out and the fact I get so much enjoyment from it, I would have pulled the plug on it by now

PMG is a good example of it costing a lot more to run than most people would probably realise. I need to turn over 2.2k a week just to break even atm

This was a very long way of saying, it might surprise you how little the bottom line is on some of the manual trades when they take all the costings into account.

I have friends in self employed trade roles and they are all in the same boat, technically turning over more or the same but profiting considerably less.