Robson's Rovers - BMC / BL / AR / MINI / MG-R

scotty

RMS Regular
Drives
ST Tdci / Saph
I looked at this very same car, for the money there was little else to match it out there and the handling got rave reviews, definetely on the shortlist for my next motor! health to drive it!

pablo

RMS Moderator
guy in work got one, loves it.

same guy who said my mondeo must be faster than the M3 was tho however :confounded:

Nice big bus Im sure, lot of car there for 2 grand

220ST

RMS Regular
Drives
People mad
Nice big motor, always liked these myself, and for that sort of dough you couldnt go wrong..

Health to drive m8 (y)

pheunos

RMS Regular
Old man V6s are the way forward! Here's mine:

jag.jpg

3.0 V6 S Type. 240bhp, rwd for buttons :laughing:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Nice big barge for the money. Are they a bit more solid than similar Rovers?

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Nice big wagon, but are they not a bit dead? Big heavy car, heavy engine and only 160 bhp? Still I'm sure you picked it up for great money.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Well picked it up today, and that meant time to enjoy it. From ennaiskilin to ballymena, then ballymena to belfast and back to ballymena after dropping the gf off to her work..... :party:

Must admit the cars a lot better than the test drive, really got to open her up properly today, and my word, im never going back to a 4 cylinder car again.

The V6 seems to have this vtec effect, something called VIS valves in them, basically below 3500 its a nice normal V6 which plods along, after that it was reving nicely up to and over 7000 today in "various gears" along the motorway. (y)

Ride quality to be honest on everything from motorways to country roads, is at least as good as any 3 series BMW ive been in and dare I saw it...... maybe even wont lower it as its so good. :party:

Total I covered 170 miles of mixed speeds with 20 litres as the car was totally empty when I bought it, but mostly moving between 50mph and 70mph, and got a lovely 35mpg which is perfect IMO.

Know it was empty, as the tank holds onto 50 litres, but I got 59 of Super into her in Sainsburys. :p

Next up, air box trumpet removal (basicially a daft plug stoping intake of the air as they where cheap and used the same airbox on the 190 as the 160) along with a good k and n panel filter, full stainless steel exhaust and remap all which have been seen to take the 160s in to 185-188 territory as the are just detuned versions of the 177 automatic engine. Chuffed.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Had a spare 20 minutes in work today, so grabbed my sponge and gave the car a clean, sadly forgot my polish, so thats for tomorrows lunch break.... taken with my crap nokia thats older than time itself.

carwashwork-02.jpg

carwashwork-01.jpg

carwashwork-03.jpg

carwashwork-04.jpg

carwashwork-05.jpg

carwashwork-06.jpg

carwashwork-07.jpg

carwashwork-09.jpg

carwashwork-17.jpg

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
carwashwork-11.jpg

carwashwork-12.jpg

carwashwork-14.jpg

carwashwork-10.jpg

carwashwork-16.jpg

And a boot big enough to fit a whole girls hockey team.(y)

Not everyones cup of tea I know, but im slowly falling in love with the car, and mixed 33mpg isnt too bad either! :grinning:

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Funny you should say that.....

1df3_1.JPG

.....just bought one of these as couldn't find my colour. :party:

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
I spoted this on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FlyEyesKit-Car-Headlight-Tinting-Tail-light-Smoked-tint_W0QQitemZ220457279826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3354472152&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

....and I figured that may be worth a go as it is instantly reversable ifs rubbish. There are many colours available, but I chose black, specifically BLACK 1 from their range. Had planed to show everyone this at the Ireland meet in the morning, but its been postponed for now.

To give you an understanding of the material, I have a few pictures from as ive gone alone, unfortunatly taken with my crappy Nokia camera phone. As you can see the product is a very fine vinyl mesh.

flyeyes0.jpg

Now it was simply a case of "wrap" the vinyl around the lights, which sounds easy, but im a trained signwritter and vinyl fitter having done it for 3 years, and it still took me 2 hours to do the entire car using a heat gun, scalple and lots of patience.

First of all the rear lights. Taken as I got the first light layed down roughly. As you can see there is quite a difference in colour.

flyeyes16-1.jpg

The vinyl mesh is being wrapped around the taillight. You could remove the taillight to do this, but I found it easier on the ZT to keep it on the car after experimenting with it.

This is a close up of the material trimmed roughly to the shape mid fitting.

flyeyes15-1.jpg

Here we see a comparrision of the lights tinted and not tinted in the same light.

flyeyes14-1.jpg

With both sides done, here are some pictures of the tail end of the car in different lights to give you an idea of what they are like.

flyeyes11.jpg

flyeyes13.jpg

flyeyes12.jpg

flyeyes10.jpg

I must admit I was quite pleased with the overall result. Im aware the car needs cleaning also. Unfortunatly I had around 1/2 of a roll left when I did this, so i figured...... what the hell......

flyeyes3.jpg

So started on the front set, left one is tinted, right one is not obviously.

flyeyes2.jpg

And when that was done, I did the foglights, and the indicators also. LOL!

flyeyes1.jpg

And the finished result on the car is below.

flyeyes4-1.jpg

Ive also today ordered a front and rear badge with black background/chrome mg writting set to replace the dulled out old ones and colour matched to my paintwork.

Strangly the front lights are now BRIGHTER than before, whilst the rears are just as effective, with no loss at all of light quality that most tinting sprays give you. Quite pleased with the result and I hope you all like.(y)

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Ooo i like (y)

Now all you need is some blue flashy lights strategically placed and you'll never get stuck behind someone ever again!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
OP
Rover Repair
Drives
Rover's!
Nah, schools out for a week yet sure. (y)

Hasnt effected night time at all, it gives the lights a kinda HID look, grey to bluish tinge around the edge on the road, which is cool as well as the strong normal light.

Here are some closer pics.

fly2.jpg

fly1.jpg

fly4.jpg

fly5.jpg

And the front also...

fly7.jpg

fly3.jpg

fly6.jpg

Hope that helps give a better idea for anyone considering this, yeah its a cheaper alternative to Lamix at least. (y)