Rust on brake discs

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Hey all,

Has anyone recommendations to stop rust forming on the brake discs after washing?

Its really annoying having this when the rest of the car is nice and clean. Its even more noticeable as the car doesn’t get driven for 4 or 5 days at a time at the moment.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Bilt Hamber Atom Mac, Motor sports and spares and Blok51 keep it. Or just blow dry them
Yep this is what I use too, works a treat, also the ratio to make it up is so small- the wee bottle would last for years

Dry wheels then spray this onto discs , drive the car back n forward a couple times and they don’t rust.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Yep this is what I use too, works a treat, also the ratio to make it up is so small- the wee bottle would last for years

Dry wheels then spray this onto discs , drive the car back n forward a couple times and they don’t rust.

@Nigelo recommended a quick spray before you wash too, so that’s what I do, not sure if necessary or not, but like you said, it’s well diluted!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Just drive it back and forward several times working the brakes all the time. That seems to be what Jim White (detailer) does.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
is this what people do?
blow feckin dry your brakes in the driveway??
worlds gone mad 🤦‍♂️
GIF by South Park

MarkM

RMS Regular
is this what people do?
blow feckin dry your brakes in the driveway??
worlds gone mad 🤦‍♂️

I haven’t touch dried a car for years, blow dry and get it inside and covered = no swirls, getting water off the discs takes about 5 seconds per wheel, mostly I just rinse with filtered water and let dry though.
Odd....yes
****s given....none
:laughing:

Last edited:

MarkM

RMS Regular
Sounds like the polar opposite of Zero ****s.

I'm sure the next person to own the car will appreciate all your efforts, as they go out of the junction at the end of your road, sideways on the limiter! 😜

Sideways is my job, and it’s no ****s given for being odd :p
As a bonus I don’t have neighbours to see my antics

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
@MarkM

do you wash this atom stuff off? Or is it something you spray on and leave after the wheels have been rinsed?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Brake discs are as cosmetics as they are mechanical lol!

No point having nice, clean wheels with a tatty looking disc behind it!

I also find if you leave that wee layer of rust on discs that it flakes off when it’s dried and driving around- gives a crappy brown coating on your rims - this is the main reason I try to keep it off

KevM

RMS Regular
Only if the car has been literally lying out for months.

Water staining from washing and reversing a car indoors, doesn't really transfer to the wheels.