Rust on brake discs

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I have found that leaving it even overnight I’ll always get the brown dust coming off the discs and dirtying the wheels

KevM

RMS Regular
As Nickyyy alluded to earlier, if it's brown dust on your alloys and not black, you're doing 'car' all wrong 😜😜😜

MarkM

RMS Regular
As Nickyyy alluded to earlier, if it's brown dust on your alloys and not black, you're doing 'car' all wrong 😜😜😜

If you don’t daily it you’re going to get rustdust, I don’t know what BMW make discs from but they bloody rust with a slight breeze!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Clearly only one reasonable solution....

Fit carbon ceramics 😜

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Any suggestions for painting rusty bells black? I see POR15 quoted a few times, also hammerite, is it just a case of wire brush, paint on then leave to dry? Nothing else in top? Also daft question, I assume I don't paint the front contact surface?!

I got black coated front discs but the coated rears were out of stock when I did the brakes about 6 months ago, so I went with uncoated Brembos, and the bells now look like crap compared to the front.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Any suggestions for painting rusty bells black? I see POR15 quoted a few times, also hammerite, is it just a case of wire brush, paint on then leave to dry? Nothing else in top? Also daft question, I assume I don't paint the front contact surface?!

I got black coated front discs but the coated rears were out of stock when I did the brakes about 6 months ago, so I went with uncoated Brembos, and the bells now look like crap compared to the front.

I use this stuff. Tried it when Halfords was the only open option, surprisingly great job and lasts ages. Light wire brush and straight on.

Poor pic from years back, but you get the idea. Also a pet peave having rusty discs.

image_zpsdsadsl9c.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I used POR15 on the Porsche ones years ago when I replaced them and they were still fine when I sold it.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I did mine with hammerite I think back in April 2020 - still good!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I just drive every car I get in for detailing at low speed down my concrete lane and left foot brake to get the discs warm and dry.

Drilled discs rot if you don't dry them well and you leave a car sitting, also no matter what you spray on you can't get into the back face of the disc.