Smart Parking Limited parking fine

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Nope, although my wife still worries about it. She thinks she'll end up in court even though I explained that they've no clue who was driving

poorme

Drives
everything
Nope, although my wife still worries about it. She thinks she'll end up in court even though I explained that they've no clue who was driving
Thats my concern as there is large cameras pointing at only entrance, if they produce a picture of me driving am i up that creek without a you know what?

eamon343

RMS Regular
In my circumstance as an expired badge was on display should i just pay? ...

You're looking at this wrong, a valid badge was on display, you done nothing wrong.

gib1ozi.jpg

poorme

Drives
everything
Brilliant Eamon, I never looked at it like that. Thank you. I can be a bit of a worrier as i have crap luck.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Thats my concern as there is large cameras pointing at only entrance, if they produce a picture of me driving am i up that creek without a you know what?
They've stopped sending letters now, so I hope that's it finished with, as in the intimidating official looking letter finished with.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
My wife just got 2 for 2 consecutive mornings leaving our son into nursery at a retail park in Bangor. It was his settling in days so she had to stay over the 2 hour allowed time limit. X2 £60 fines but now I've read through this she's calmed the f**k down , so thank you folks of RMS for making my weekend ahead a more peaceful one. I do want to ring the c**ts on Monday though and annoy the hell out of them.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
That carpark is a nightmare for those whores handing out tickets.
My next door neighbour has had 3 or 4 tickets using that carpark.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
That’s where my mother got her parking charge too. Don’t ring them, just be safe in the knowledge that’s that’s £120 they aren’t getting and let them waste their time sending out hilarious letters

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
My wife just got 2 for 2 consecutive mornings leaving our son into nursery at a retail park in Bangor. It was his settling in days so she had to stay over the 2 hour allowed time limit. X2 £60 fines but now I've read through this she's calmed the f**k down , so thank you folks of RMS for making my weekend ahead a more peaceful one. I do want to ring the c**ts on Monday though and annoy the hell out of them.

Don't engage at all.

Alan Dickey

Dear All

A few weeks ago I parked in a small Smart Parking car park on Donegall Ave I think it was called in Belfast, near the Belfast Telegraph and St Annes.

I went to the machine and put my money in and it wanted my registration number. I put in my registration number too. It did not give me my money back and did not produce any kind of a ticket.

I thought it was a bit odd but assumed that the camera would show me paying and the machine would show that I had put the money in and would have the car reg saved.

About 3 weeks later I got a fine! They wanted me to send back my ticket as evidence but as the machine did not produce a ticket how could I?

The original fine was 60.

I appealed, even though I discovered in a phone call they had not checked with the man who lifts the money if he had had my money and it seemed rather too soon to be sending out fines without doing so.

So, despite lockdown I went to the post office, after spending another 30 mins on the phone which was never answered trying to find out if there was a way to avoid going to the post office due to lockdown.

The appeal has now been rejected and they now want £100!

I do not see any need to pay these people £100 for about 25 minutes parking just because their machine is clearly faulty or because their camera has not recorded me going to the machine.

What can I do? Has anyone else had similar problems with Smart Parking in Belfast?

Thank you for any replies!

Alan Dickey

I haven’t got a clue. Was over the phone and they aren’t the most clear of people to chat to. You know them annoying types, that never explain things properly, yeah one of them. I’ll try to get the exact wording and will update.
What has happened since...you willl see I have just posted myself....
Thanks
Alan
Throw it in the bin
are you sure...please see my own new post....
Alan
Dear All

A few weeks ago I parked in a small Smart Parking car park on Donegall Ave I think it was called in Belfast, near the Belfast Telegraph and St Annes.

I went to the machine and put my money in and it wanted my registration number. I put in my registration number too. It did not give me my money back and did not produce any kind of a ticket.

I thought it was a bit odd but assumed that the camera would show me paying and the machine would show that I had put the money in and would have the car reg saved.

About 3 weeks later I got a fine! They wanted me to send back my ticket as evidence but as the machine did not produce a ticket how could I?

The original fine was 60.

I appealed, even though I discovered in a phone call they had not checked with the man who lifts the money if he had had my money and it seemed rather too soon to be sending out fines without doing so.

So, despite lockdown I went to the post office, after spending another 30 mins on the phone which was never answered trying to find out if there was a way to avoid going to the post office due to lockdown.

The appeal has now been rejected and they now want £100!

I do not see any need to pay these people £100 for about 25 minutes parking just because their machine is clearly faulty or because their camera has not recorded me going to the machine.

What can I do? Has anyone else had similar problems with Smart Parking in Belfast?

Thank you for any replies!

Only occurring to me now, but why would the fine have gone up after the appeal....surely it should still be 60 as there was a dispute....There is still going to be a dispute because I put my money in the machine and it did not give it back to me! 25 mins and they want 100 quid! Madness.
Hi gang, looking a little legal advice

Wife parked in a Smart Parking Limited enforced car park in Lisburn for an appointment. Once she arrived, the girl seeing her checked with her to make sure she had paid and advised that they have cameras etc and my wife confirmed that she had paid. So she did. That's all i need to know.

Roll on a few weeks later, a beautiful Smart Parking Limited letter arrives in the post saying "blah-de-blah, you didn't pay, here's a picture etc" and "pay £60".

The pic shows our car going in and out.

Now, obviously, my wife does not have the ticket, as she had paid fair and square (and I also bust her head about leaving them littered around the car) so she can obviously not prove that she paid. It was paid with cash.

The only proof that we have to date that she didn't pay is Smart Parking Limited saying so.

We went back to them to that effect and they came back with

Thank you for your recent communication.​
Having considered your appeal in detail we have decided to uphold the PCN as we believe that it was correctly issued in accordance with the terms and conditions advertised within the area concerned. As your appeal was received within the initial discount period we have extended the discount period until 05/09/2018.​
We note the comments in your appeal advising that when visiting the site in question on the day of contravention, you had purchased a ticket for your vehicles stay. Please be advised that having thoroughly checked our payment system we can confirm that there was no payment made for the correct Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM) of VO14ZGH for the 47 minutes stay the vehicle was on site, which subsequently resulted in no payment being assigned to the correct VRM.​
Please be advised that as detailed on the car park signage motorists must enter the full and correct VRM into the payment machine, and ensure payment is made for the full required duration. Furthermore, we can confirm that the tickets are printed after the motorist has confirmed that the details they have entered are correct.​
Subsequently, as you have failed to pay for your visit for the correct VRM you have breached the advertised Terms and Conditions and as a result we can confirm that we have no option but to uphold the PCN. The Terms and Conditions of the car park are clearly advertised around the site and must be adhered to by all drivers.​
Your 3 payment options are:​
* By Post: Please send a cheque or postal order, payable to Smart Parking Ltd to Smart Parking Ltd, Unit 43, Elmdon Trading Estate, Bickenhill Lane, Marston Green, Birmingham B37 7HE.​
* By Web: To make a payment online with a debit or credit card, please visit www.smartparking.com and have your Parking Charge Notice Number to hand.​
* By Phone: Pay via our 24 hour automated telephone payment service on 0845 805 4802. Please have your Parking Charge Notice Number to hand.​
Yours Sincerely​
Smart Parking Limited​
The only thing that we can think of is that she might have put the reg in wrong as the car was new to us (i.e. perhaps putting a "0" instead of an "O" but again, we are not sure.

I am honestly not down with paying the fine to be honest so would I be within my rights to ask them to provide a list of all of the cars that were parked in the car park at that time along with all of the register number plates around that time. This would obviously show a simple character mistake if indeed there was one.

If i told them i would rather take the matter to court (out of principle and I don't have spare 60 sheets etc) would I be within my rights to do so, how would that go down, would a court be reasonable and accept a mistake, does anyone have any experience of the same scenario/company etc?

Sorry for the brain fart

J
What ever happened....please see my post....
Regards
Alan
Be easier to reply to them telling them to **** off ?

And any further letters sent to you, will be charged at £200 per letter for you to read them and return them with another "**** off" response
Regards
Alan

Alan Dickey

How long were you parked for and were you in the shops there?
Regards
Alan
Regards
Alan
My mum got hit with one a few years ago. Her fault but I binned the first one and told them to not even contact them. 6 months of the odd letter from various companies and escalations and they’ve stopped. I actually enjoyed reading them because as said the addresses, the language used, the fonts and general look were all the same. Complete farce.
Regards
Alan
My mum got hit with one a few years ago. Her fault but I binned the first one and told them to not even contact them. 6 months of the odd letter from various companies and escalations and they’ve stopped. I actually enjoyed reading them because as said the addresses, the language used, the fonts and general look were all the same. Complete farce.
Regards
Alan
That is a debt collection letter masquerading as a solicitor's letter.
Ignore it !!!

Cheers
Are you in Northern Ireland too...What ever happened....please see my post....
Regards
Alan

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Get a debt recovery type letter last week, had hoped they'd have ****ed off by now, but no....
I've told my wife to just ignore it and do not contact them

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Have you read the thread in its entirety? I think it’s been pretty well established that if you’re in NI the best way to deal with these cowboys is not engage with them, and ignore.

They can send as many intimidating debt collection letters as they like, they have as much legal meaning as one my 6yr old would draft.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I’m not up to speed on the legalities on these things but from what I’ve read in the past if you engage with them and confirm you were the one driving the car unless you appeal you can’t ignore it. I would seek clearer advice from parking charge forums or the likes. You’ll probably be told to keep appealing.

My parents haven’t received anything from Smart in a few years now but we didn’t engage.

Alan Dickey

Thank you very much Dan.
As I have appealed it’s too late not to engage for me.
But one or two have started to write back to me to update me with what happened in the end with their own saga.
I will not waste any more time or a stamp writing back to Smart Parking.
I wonder could we not get some NI consumer group to do something about this company, or the Belfast Telegraph.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thank you very much Dan.
As I have appealed it’s too late not to engage for me.
But one or two have started to write back to me to update me with what happened in the end with their own saga.
I will not waste any more time or a stamp writing back to Smart Parking.
I wonder could we not get some NI consumer group to do something about this company, or the Belfast Telegraph.

Unlikely, they’re England based and the consumer groups there haven’t even had any luck. Unfortunately the many commercial estates and even councils over there seem to keep utilising them.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
By the way the advice regarding ignoring these letters / wiping your arse with them or whatever else you do with paper that's posted through your letter box should be treated with caution.

Ignoring them doesnt work on a lease car and presumably company and hire cars.

The lease company will ask for your input then settle even if you argue against it and provide all sorts of evidence. As a final kick to the plums they will add a significant admin charge on top.

Fortunately I got it reversed but it took an almost nuclear approach, an admin error on their behalf that I discovered and it wasted at least half a day. This was after the money was taken from me as well.

YBW

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
By the way the advice regarding ignoring these letters / wiping your arse with them or whatever else you do with paper that's posted through your letter box should be treated with caution.

Ignoring them doesnt work on a lease car and presumably company and hire cars.

The lease company will ask for your input then settle even if you argue against it and provide all sorts of evidence. As a final kick to the plums they will add a significant admin charge on top.

Fortunately I got it reversed but it took an almost nuclear approach, an admin error on their behalf that I discovered and it wasted at least half a day. This was after the money was taken from me as well.

YBW

Is that because a lot of lease companies are English based offices and they can enforce it via court with them?

Luckily I’m not in any of the above so I’ll hold out and see. Tbh thought they had given up after a year of no letters.

These ****ers shouldn’t be given your address tbh tbh

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Is that because a lot of lease companies are English based offices and they can enforce it via court with them?

Luckily I’m not in any of the above so I’ll hold out and see. Tbh thought they had given up after a year of no letters.

These ****ers shouldn’t be given your address tbh tbh

Would imagine so. They don't want the judgement against them so they just pay it and then chase you for it. I saw the first letter from the parking company and was given a chance to pay £60 or whatever it was. Ignored it and next letter was for much more plus £90 admin fee from the lease company. Few hundred quid or so in total.

Now we didn't do anything wrong aside from not 'log in' with the carpark owners, which they said was fine at the time. We had CCTV to back us up that we were there legitimately, didn't overstay or park like a knob so it was genuinely not our fault. The carpark owners were on our side too, I was speaking to managers in the parking company and they agreed it should be cancelled but the thing had gone too far because we ignored it initially; based on advice on here.

I've no idea if the lease company ever got their money back or not but it was time / effort / stress for nothing in the end.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Oh and they didn't have my address. The lease company didn't share anything with them, which made the whole process extremely difficult.