So what is the rule then? Evo fails MOT on HID Issue

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jason

RMS Regular
Unfortunately until the dimwits rescind and admit they were stupid and change the rules here, if you want to pass you'll either need a tester with an ability to use common sense, or have to fit washers.

So at the minute, yes you will have to fit washers in most cases. Although washers is a loose term. Something that squirts water on them on request would be a better description.

Worst case you could do a T peice from the IC spray and gaffa tape a windscreen washer aimed at the headlight lol

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Sports suspension doesnt need self leveling

So a full set of tein coilovers fitted solves this problem? I have hids fitted to the supra but cause mine is jap spec I don have the levellers and washer jets , uk supras have them , do you think they will reword there law anytime soon or does it look like its here to stay ?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
whats the wording in the regulations that defines "sports" suspension?

A sport/gsi/sri badge would do it IMO. There's no real way to tell between sports and standard suspension.

LMAO... brilliant, I knew that the legislation would have to be changed, even after all the knobs on forums say "oh just go fit washers"

Who from the DVANI has said anything about the legislation being changed? Looks to me like they're wrongly sticking to their guns.

Worst case you could do a T peice from the IC spray and gaffa tape a windscreen washer aimed at the headlight lol

This is similar to the suggestion some of the so called "knobs" made when we had the first discussion several months ago!

The fact of the matter is that the chap with the Evo has not got his MOT. Nothing (yet) has changed, he will have to wait till DVANI admits to having made a mistake and changes the rules (which isn't certain), fit washers or take it to England.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
its all well and good bodging a washer system - what about the self-leveling!?

Not required as they have absolutely no means of testing it, nor have they any means of determining what "sports suspension" is, nor are there any guidelines to define what "sports suspension" is.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Who from the DVANI has said anything about the legislation being changed? Looks to me like they're wrongly sticking to their guns.

Nobody yet, but even despite their own stupidity, they will need changed as they are very stupid and flawed rules which have clearly had no thought put into the wording.

Even VOSA have already changed theirs, you'd think someone with a few brain cells would have realised they need amended here too.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Not required as they have absolutely no means of testing it, nor have they any means of determining what "sports suspension" is, nor are there any guidelines to define what "sports suspension" is.

ah, if you read the first post in this thread - the leveling system is required!

However, you and Coog have backed up my point! How do you define clearly what sports suspension is??

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
ah, if you read the first post in this thread - the leveling system is required!

However, you and Coog have backed up my point! How do you define clearly what sports suspension is??

In theory yes, in reality no for the reasons already given above.

There is no means of determining what sports suspension is, there are no guidelines, and most important they have no means whatsoever of actually testing any system if fitted.
All they will actually do is check for any warning lamps on the dash, same as ABS. They do not and cannot test the system, they just want to see a warning light do its thing.

The same way towbar sockets must work now...except they have no equipment to test them so cannot test them.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
whats the wording in the regulations that defines "sports" suspension?
I asked this in the old thread about the new law (http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/new-mot-rule-standard-xenons.130403) and it was basically explained that when weight/load is put in the rear, the car wont drop really so doesnt really have the issue of levelling compared to standard soft suspension.

I hope this does get some exemption, as im another one harping on about how daft it is for certain cars that didnt come like that from factory.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nobody yet, but even despite their own stupidity, they will need changed as they are very stupid and flawed rules which have clearly had no thought put into the wording.

Even VOSA have already changed theirs, you'd think someone with a few brain cells would have realised they need amended here too.

I totally agree. To be honest it's pure pig headedness and the inability to admit that they've made a simple mistake. There's still no way a Evo or similar is going to get a NI MOT until the rules have changed so until then get the pipe and gaffer tape out! :p

I would quite readily argue that I have sports suspension in the Jeep.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
When I failed I was told: "there has to be a connection between the back of the headlight unit and the suspension as evidence of a self leveling system.....unless you have sports suspension. Do you have sports suspension?"

"Yes"

"Fair enough, it still fails on headlight washers. Either fit non-HID bulbs (in my projector headlights) or redrill your bumper and refit your headlight washers"

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
When I failed I was told: "there has to be a connection between the back of the headlight unit and the suspension as evidence of a self leveling system.....unless you have sports suspension. Do you have sports suspension?"

"Yes"

"Fair enough, it still fails on headlight washers.
LOL brilliant! Thats one of those times you just smile to yourself and inhale "cuynt" under your breath and laugh (y)

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
LOL brilliant! Thats one of those times you just smile to yourself and inhale "cuynt" under your breath and laugh (y)

I didnt exactly say it under my breath ..... I was lucky anything else on the car passed after that to be honest :oops: .

To be fair, it was a fail going by the book but he was a wab about it, it has always passed no bother with the flushed bumper and 2 weeks before that it would have passed. I was more annoyed with myself really because I thought it was the end of May the new rules came into effect, not the end of April 8o|

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Is this the area of Transport Minister, Danny Kennedy?

Set the date, and we all call his office and explain this to his (I assume) secretary.

If someone could come up with a script we can all use to keep us right, that'll be even better.

Might get him on to it if at least 30 people call on the same day about the same thing.

Get those 'public servants' working for car enthusiasts for a change.

Thoughts?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Laughter!

The secretary wont give 2 fiddlers and just tell you to write in anyway. They will respond to your views however, even if it is a generic letter just to say they will be taken on board or how there's no talk of changing the current system.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Laughter!

The secretary wont give 2 fiddlers and just tell you to write in anyway. They will respond to your views however, even if it is a generic letter just to say they will be taken on board or how there's no talk of changing the current system.

I was thinking along similar lines before posting.

But, do they not depend upon us thinking like that and leaving them alone?

Perhaps our politicians do nothing because we give them nothing to do?

What's the alternative? Calling Nolan? lol

Normski

RMS Regular
OP
Normski
Drives
987 BoxsterS
If someone knows a local politician they may be able to ask an assembly question, these have to be replied to by the minister responsible (drafted and written by his cronnies) and they are published on the web etc.

It's hardly a world saving issue but it's a matter or principle I suppose, some people genuinely are getting failed and they haven't done anything wrong or changed their car from the way it was built. They are basically asking you to cut or modify your bumper to bodge washers to your car when they weren't built with them.

Luckily the scoob has them, but I'm sure dependent on the day you go there's always some wab loking to fail the chaps with the 'modified' car on any excuse they can find.

johnm

RMS Regular
Mine actually has manual self levelers.....no washers though.
I think im going to do that supersoaker idea, laughed my head of at that one, and its better than my idea.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
So a full set of tein coilovers fitted solves this problem? I have hids fitted to the supra but cause mine is jap spec I don have the levellers and washer jets , uk supras have them , do you think they will reword there law anytime soon or does it look like its here to stay ?
Your guess is as good as mine mate, as for suspension, its basically factory fitted suspension as far as I'm aware, the likes of your Supra I would say would be fine, but something like a 306 dropped 2 niks and saxo front springs I don't think would be acceptable, but who knows until someone trys.

What needs to happen is someone to challange the rules and probably present something from Mits / Subaru / whoever stating that the manufactures deemed washers not to be required for reasons A B C.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Your guess is as good as mine mate, as for suspension, its basically factory fitted suspension as far as I'm aware, the likes of your Supra I would say would be fine, but something like a 306 dropped 2 niks and saxo front springs I don't think would be acceptable, but who knows until someone trys.

What needs to happen is someone to challange the rules and probably present something from Mits / Subaru / whoever stating that the manufactures deemed washers not to be required for reasons A B C.

It would be a lot easier for everyone if they applied common sense, and looked at the reason VOSA changed the rules after they realised it was stupid.
Innocent car owners who have done nothing wrong shouldnt be out of pocket for the governments stupidity, although chance would be a fine thing.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.