Solar Panels and Home Battery

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
What does this mean then consumed gen? Others on here give readings??

View attachment 394964

Poorly phrased by me. It can monitor it, but in your case and mine and most others, it's completely separate to the solar system. For it to measure generation you would either need to have a MyEnergi inverter, or another CT clamp on the positive AC cable coming from the inverter and connected to your Eddi or Harvi. If you have batteries, you will not be able to see the difference between generation and battery usage, unless of course you have the aforementioned MyEnergi inverter.

Literally all your Eddi and mine is set up to do is monitor export, and if export is detected an the cylinder thermostat isn't at temp, it'll turn its self on by the number of watts getting exported and divert that energy from going to the grid.

Your Solis app will show all your generation.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Has anyone down the sums on hot water?
I’ve had my eddi turned off from day one as (to my mind) it’s cheaper to have the boiler heat water for an hour rather than forgo the tariff i’d get for export…
The boiler needs to be on regardless as the kids take a bath every day and the eddi alone wouldn’t get enough water up to temp.
Good to see rates climbing over last few weeks
F6297900-DAF1-4C94-BBCF-DA51548FD2A6.jpeg

-herc-

RMS Regular
Who has a good reliable contractor for solar panels. I need some of mine moved from west facing to south facing. (Issues with installer)

I remember I asked before but forgot who replied. The guy needs to be Belfast based. Want him out to overlook my system setup aswell.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Anyone used Encom? They seem quite a bit cheaper than other options locally with 5.6kw of solar and 3.6kw inverter for £6k. Battery options on top seem competitive but I'm still not convinced they add up financially.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
What’s the feeling on how much solar panels affect the price of the house?

Guess it depends on your risk profile and if you think you can beat the returns with other investments to avoid the £6k initial outlay, doubt they offer cheap finance?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
What’s the feeling on how much solar panels affect the price of the house?

Guess it depends on your risk profile and if you think you can beat the returns with other investments to avoid the £6k initial outlay, doubt they offer cheap finance?
I wouldn't count on them adding much of an identifiable amount on house value. Would be interesting to see if it actually added up getting it ripped out upon moving if the kit wasn't in long. That's part of the reason I haven't bothered to date as we are likely to move at some point hopefully.

I'm not really convinced they are better than investing from a financial standpoint either. It's more a hedge against future electricity price inflation.

Marynarz

RMS Regular
Drives
Alpina B3 Bi
I wouldn't count on them adding much of an identifiable amount on house value. Would be interesting to see if it actually added up getting it ripped out upon moving if the kit wasn't in long. That's part of the reason I haven't bothered to date as we are likely to move at some point hopefully.

I'm not really convinced they are better than investing from a financial standpoint either. It's more a hedge against future electricity price inflation.
I have worked out a 4.5 years ROI with current electricity prices. That's pretty good imo. Also with the value l think they will be a sought after feature in the future due to increasing utility costs. Ours are pretty subtle as well, so the curb appeal is the same.
IMG_20230406_181125.jpg

-herc-

RMS Regular
I’ve pulled in 360kw so far this month! Exported 65kw and the immersion used 70kw. We used 110kw from the grid.

Looking at the myenergi app for some reason I’m drawing upto 3kw around 12-6am. When everyone is in bed. Can’t work out what it is

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
I've turned my Eddi off for now. I've noticed it doing odd things, like being on heating water when it really shouldn't.
Switching it off and on again it goes back into standby.
Monitoring the usage for a few days without it and will compare next week with it back on.
The oil provides enough water for now.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I've turned my Eddi off for now. I've noticed it doing odd things, like being on heating water when it really shouldn't.
Switching it off and on again it goes back into standby.
Monitoring the usage for a few days without it and will compare next week with it back on.
The oil provides enough water for now.
It should only use excess generated electricity and send it to the immersion heater until it reports that the tank is up to temp. After that it should switch off and then any excess is exported. If your tank has a thermostat, it might be worth turning it down if the Eddi is still trying to heat the water. We have turned our oil off and just manually turn it on when we need to now.

View attachment 395939

426kw this month!!! Boom
348kwh from our 4.4kw system so far. Last April we had 400kwh exactly but it was much nicer last year. Looks like you're on the Solis Home app. Did you not get a notification to switch to Solis Cloud?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
It should only use excess generated electricity and send it to the immersion heater until it reports that the tank is up to temp. After that it should switch off and then any excess is exported. If your tank has a thermostat, it might be worth turning it down if the Eddi is still trying to heat the water. We have turned our oil off and just manually turn it on when we need to now.

348kwh from our 4.4kw system so far. Last April we had 400kwh exactly but it was much nicer last year. Looks like you're on the Solis Home app. Did you not get a notification to switch to Solis Cloud?
The only thing about turning the thermostat down to below 60deg C on the immersion tank is that you can get legionella bacteria in it, I'd keep it at 60deg minimum. I have a digital temperature probe on the very top of the tank inside the insulation stuck in with aluminium tape and I see it at 62deg when the hot water is flowing.

Because I'm still on an old disc meter I have my Eddi to turn on the thermostat at 0630 for 30mins, meter goes backwards, sun comes up, meter goes forwards.

When I get the smart meter fitted I'll probably revert to firing the Boiler for 10mins early in the morning for a shower and then rely on the Eddi during the day

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
I’ve pulled in 360kw so far this month! Exported 65kw and the immersion used 70kw. We used 110kw from the grid.

Looking at the myenergi app for some reason I’m drawing upto 3kw around 12-6am. When everyone is in bed. Can’t work out what it is

I tracked my usage for a year and My nighttime usage was about 2kw from 7pm to 7am. I put it down to burglar alarms, smoke alarms, fridges and freezers and lights, Wi-Fi router and alexas.

Marynarz

RMS Regular
Drives
Alpina B3 Bi
I've generated 500kwh from the 4th of April. 5.88kwh system. 34.4 peak day this month

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
523kwh this month, 34.2 peak on 20th. Here’s hoping for an even better month in May 🤞🤞

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
I tracked my usage for a year and My nighttime usage was about 2kw from 7pm to 7am. I put it down to burglar alarms, smoke alarms, fridges and freezers and lights, Wi-Fi router and alexas.

Fridge and freezer are constants, the other stuff is negligible. The only way to track it is to use plug in usage testers.

Ghost

RMS Regular

I did, but haven't been arsed yet. Any better?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I did, but haven't been arsed yet. Any better?
It's very similar, just a few more clicks in the new ones to get the graphs. Historic data took 2 or 3 days to appear after migration. As far as I know the Solis Home and Pro apps will stop working at the end of this month.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
575kwh here so far in April with 252kwh exported. Turned the battery charging from the grid off a few weeks ago and even on cloudy days it's at 100% before sunset.

Also moved my Eddi boost time to 11am as it can use the battery and solar instead of just the battery. When I have the battery charging turned off the Eddi was drawing 3-400w from the grid as the inverter can only suck 3100w from the battery annoyingly.