Speed Camera On M5 Causing Carnage

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Kaner.eB

RMS Regular
Drives
CW DC5 !
i have to laugh i go past this nearly everymorning and i and about 3/4 other cars seem to be the only ones doing 50 , i counted 14 cars flew past me this morning doing at least 70 lol are they blind ?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I slow down down for this too everyday and I seem to end up causing a mini-tail back. Anyway, why can't the speed restriction be lifted late at night when they aren't working? I've seen plenty of people drive by at 70+ miles per hour and I'm the div sitting doing 50.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
I hate to dampen any spirits here but the signage will be checked and confirmed prior to any speed checks being carried out in this area..

I cant speak for yesterday but i do know on Monday and Tuesday when i travelled it there were Advanced warning signs of a Lane 5 closure, countdown warning signs, advanced speed limit warning signs, a Speed Camera sign (Black and white), a Police speed check area sign, Start of 50 limit signs, safety camera vehicle only sign, 50 repeater signs and an end of restriction sign both on the M5 and the M2 (just around Greencastle bend).

What no bells, and whistles,lol.

How anyone could miss all that is beyond me,lol. You sure your not exhaggerating on how well signed it is mate,lol.

Some amount of fuel being saved going 50mph on the M5 (y)

Carbon foorprint and all that. Good for the polar bears and Ice caps.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Why is it when you query their camera locations, they come off with the generic spiel that it matches all the criteria for deaths, serious accidents etc.
And they seem to say that they are allowed to park wherever they want no matter how dangerous or illegal it is ?
And cannot provide any statistics to support locations meeting the criteria ?

All seems fishy to me.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I would assume they would have the cameras there during work hours to be honest but no one was working today - would make most sense IMO!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Some cameras illegally parked. Seeing as the "safety camera partnership" whoever they are cannot provide any statistics to back up using these locations. Maybe some people here can recall some deaths or serious injuries at these very specific locations ? I cant recall any in the 20+ years Ive been driving.

Shore Road citybound, 4 lane 30 zone. 11th July at 0920 in the morning. Must be a very dangerous time of day ?

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=54.650163,-5.917811&spn=0.006841,0.013797&z=16

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then of course the Sydenham bypass again. This time citybound, 10th July at 1345. Maybe they think there will be school children crossing the road or something. It must have a massive history of serious accidents to warrant them parking their landover dangerously in a 24hr urban clearway. Doing so apparently can carry 3 points and £60 for us mere mortals.
Cant think which is a more ridiculous time. That afternoon or a couple of weeks before when it was there at 6am.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm still awaiting the accident statistcs they have used to warrant these placements, and the legislation that allows them to abandon a vehicle dangerously and wherever they feel like it. Some 2 weeks on, and they still havent provided it.

And George of the Safety Camera Partnership, BS answers like

The Shore Road and the Sydenham Bypass have been designated as enforcement routes as they fulfil the strict criteria which is determined by the collision history and results of speed surveys.

simply will not cut it. I gave very specific locations, so that warrants very specific statistics.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I would assume they would have the cameras there during work hours to be honest but no one was working today - would make most sense IMO!

They are not there to prevent speeding. If they are, then their camera placements are totally stupid.

Place a camera at the start of a speed restriction ?? WTF.

All that does is cause mayhem in the non restricted section due to the rubber band effect. And once past the camera, just speed up past the roadworks again.

If they have any brains, or perhaps sincerity in what they are doing, they would place the camera deep into the roadworks. So the knock on effect rearwards would mean everyone would have to slow down past the roadworks.

So their placement shows 100% they are only out to catch people and rake in a few quid. And if the cameras are there when there are no workers, that also backs up what Ive said.

ChristianGuy1000

RMS Member
Can someone tell me what these Cameras Look like I usually slow down by the Bridges and I havent seen anything that would indicate a Speed Camera. Are they the actual Police Vans or are they its little tiny black ones under the bridge that you cannot actually see? I am aware of the speed limit on these sections but what I find absolute BS is that when I drove past the one that flashes your speed I was doing 45mph and it said 50mph slow down. Like seriously these signs dont even bloody work.

Has anyone seen these cameras out on Wed Night 8:00 pm / Sat 2:00 pm (Heading Out of City) or Sunday 10:00 am (Heading Out of City) or are they only there during working days and working hours.

Im worried ive been clocked but I havent seen anything that would look like a speed Camera or a van so hence why I think they are hidden tiny things. If It was a police van I would well know about it?

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I've seen them operating during the weekends, was surprised to see it at rush hour this morning. As Sgt_Major said its the meat wagon they use. The one that flashes "50MPH SLOW DOW" (or something similar) I believe that is a repetition setting to warn motorists and not linked to any particular vehicles speed, its a brave distance from the speed camera. Countrybound it sits JUST before the Fortwilliam Bridge, literally just as the outside M5 lane merges. Citybound it sits JUST after both Fortwilliam bridges near the end of the roadworks. Both directions have a sign saying "Police Speed Enforcement Use Only" I think where the meat wagon parks.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Are these new central reservations to run from Yorkgate all the way down the M5 to Hazelbank?

For them having started work a month ago they don't seem to have done very much.

ChristianGuy1000

RMS Member
Ahh thank god for that. I haven't seen any then, They sit usually in the middle section lane where it says Safety Mobile Vehicles . Aye because ive gone past that sign at both 60 and even 30 to see and it still came up so I'm sure its probably to do with alerting people wasn't sure though. I thought these had speed cameras mounted on them so your saying as long as I dont see the clearly visible white Meat Waggon then I'm pretty safe?

I remember thinking I got clocked going up Fosses Road. Heres one for yas does anyone know if those cameras that are scattered everywhere are just ANPR they are black rectangles on the top of a pole.

ChristianGuy1000

RMS Member
Yeah ive noticed that too. I thought they were just replacing light bulbs but what the hell takes a month of only one 1mile section of motorway. Even paving a road takes less time than this.

I think its just NICS doing a balls up you know the kind. Lets **** up the road then run out of money to fix it. Or the other way of the messed up govt to act is probably more like lets see how much money we can get by stopping people from speeding on the God Damm main motorway of N. Ireland

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Ahh thank god for that. I haven't seen any then, They sit usually in the middle section lane where it says Safety Mobile Vehicles . Aye because ive gone past that sign at both 60 and even 30 to see and it still came up so I'm sure its probably to do with alerting people wasn't sure though. I thought these had speed cameras mounted on them so your saying as long as I dont see the clearly visible white Meat Waggon then I'm pretty safe?

I remember thinking I got clocked going up Fosses Road. Heres one for yas does anyone know if those cameras that are scattered everywhere are just ANPR they are black rectangles on the top of a pole.

Just stick to 50 and you'll be ok. As mentioned earlier it depends how far away the camera can pick you up, but if you stay at 50 in the zone you'll be ok.

There was a thread up about the new ANPR Camera's, they're used for tracking stolen cars, etc as any other ANPR camera as far as I know.

Link to the thread below, bit of a lengthy read and the guy Orwell who started the thread is a little bit crazy IMO lol It'll give you all the info you need though:
http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/anpr-cameras-in-northern-ireland-debate.115860/

Are these new central reservations to run from Yorkgate all the way down the M5 to Hazelbank?

For them having started work a month ago they don't seem to have done very much.

Yea that's right. I know thought that myself a couple of times! lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can someone tell me what these Cameras Look like I usually slow down by the Bridges and I havent seen anything that would indicate a Speed Camera. Are they the actual Police Vans or are they its little tiny black ones under the bridge that you cannot actually see? I am aware of the speed limit on these sections but what I find absolute BS is that when I drove past the one that flashes your speed I was doing 45mph and it said 50mph slow down. Like seriously these signs dont even bloody work.

Has anyone seen these cameras out on Wed Night 8:00 pm / Sat 2:00 pm (Heading Out of City) or Sunday 10:00 am (Heading Out of City) or are they only there during working days and working hours.

Im worried ive been clocked but I havent seen anything that would look like a speed Camera or a van so hence why I think they are hidden tiny things. If It was a police van I would well know about it?

There is a little clue in the photo I put up. See if you can spot it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There was a thread up about the new ANPR Camera's, they're used for tracking stolen cars, etc as any other ANPR camera as far as I know.

And no, they are used to track and record EVERYONES movements in a vehicle.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
And no, they are used to track and record EVERYONES movements in a vehicle.

True. I remember saying in the ANPR thread that I wouldn't be surprised if toll fee's or something similar came in within the next few years with those cameras (n)

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Stevie that camera sits outside Bawnmore quite a bit during rush hour traffic (am), and is also placed just round the bend after the metropolitan church. Hard not to spot it....which makes a change!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.