Spring compressing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Do you see the length and the diameter of the springs used?

Ill see can i find out on CCUK if anyone knows the rate that yould be needed.

Would the rated be different for different kits?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
simple really, just take a spring out, get aset of calipers and measure the inside diameter of the spring, im sure it will be a standard size, prob 2.25".

spring rates are usually printed/ written on the spring somewhere ontop of the powder coat.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
see thats onther problem as im in belfast and the cars at home..

how quickly do the site dispatch the orders like?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
right away, parts will be there in 2days, email the supplier you got the coilovers from ask them to measure a set for you...

your prob looking at 2.25" around 250lbs. Rate

Grainne_VTEC

RMS Member
Drives
AE86 gt coupe r/
If your being serious your an idiot suggesting cutting springs :sob:

Sure every spring is cut..it's how much ye cut out of them!! :broken_heart:

Compressing them and cutting them are pretty much the same thing

Bosch Adjustables FTW!!!!!

The only way is down

(y) ;)

ek4

RMS Regular
Drives
ek4
Sure every spring is cut..it's how much ye cut out of them!! :broken_heart:

Compressing them and cutting them are pretty much the same thing

Bosch Adjustables FTW!!!!!

The only way is down

(y) ;)

:oops:
is mid ulster the capital for this carry on?

seems they all want the car dragging the ground down there,looks daft and totally destroys the cars handling imo.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
I'd be afraid of the spring poping out or wrecking the supports that hold the spring in place if i cut them.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
You can cut none progressive springs without bother. Thats what your coilovers should have, so just cut them yourself.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Can't cut them because they'll need a flat platform to sit on the shock. Nothing wrong with cutting some springs provided they seat and sit well (y)

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
got this info off a fella on the corsa c site..

is thsi any usefull anyone?

F=12K - 672 ft/lbs & R=18K 1008 ft/lbs, he has the same coilovers and he said that this info was ont eh site that he bought them from.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Most coilovers springs arnt progressive. Helper springs are only there to keep the spring seated in the cups correctly when you are airborne, they don't really affect the ride of the car.

pablo

RMS Moderator
do they compress fully when on the ground then? If they dont they must allow a little soft damping before the main spring takes over.

On my old M3 with the eibach coilovers it would seem a little soft at first when cornering, then really stiffen up as the weight shifted, making me think the helper spring was allowing a softer ride until the weight came on then it got much better for cornering.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Oh they affect the ride allright.. It left it very bouncy with out them.

Maybe i should of wound the coilovers up a bit? would that of taken the bounciness out do ya think?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Helper springs affected your ride?

do they compress fully when on the ground then? If they dont they must allow a little soft damping before the main spring takes over.

They do compress fully, they are all only very low poundage springs, just enough to hold the main spring up.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Hows that? :confounded: I'm not pretending to be an expert, but my Bilsteins have helper springs so i know how they work and what their purpose is.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
The coils on my helper springs are flat wafer thin. when they arrived they were held fully compressed by a bit of masking tape. You could compress them fully between your finger and thumb. There only purpose is to prevent the main springs dislocating when the car is in the air. i can wind my car down low enough that the front bumper touches the tarmac and there is still a bit to go on my AVO's. But only have them down about 40 mm as any lower upset the handling

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
The coils on my helper springs are flat wafer thin. when they arrived they were held fully compressed by a bit of masking tape. You could compress them fully between your finger and thumb. There only purpose is to prevent the main springs dislocating when the car is in the air. i can wind my car down low enough that the front bumper touches the tarmac and there is still a bit to go on my AVO's. But only have them down about 40 mm as any lower upset the handling

Show off.. :p

So in theory then i could take the helpers out and wind the coils up the depth that the helpers would take up when compressed so it would equate to the ride i have when the wond fully down with the helpers in?

pablo

RMS Moderator
here is a pic of said eibachs. the helper spring is reasonably beefy.

10-03-06_1455.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.