** Stolen Cars / Parts - post info here **

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I'm surprised that it hasn't been spotted. The red golf R has lived between Dromore and Banbridge this week. Along with a few marked cars.

Just to contradict myself, for the guys in the know I suppose you wouldn't take notice until it is flagged on the computer?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I know it's very cynical of me but any time I see something like that I just think it's an insurance job. Who leaves all keys on site over the weekend like

Definitely not Malcolm is a very honest and decent man. Absolutely sickening!

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I know it's very cynical of me but any time I see something like that I just think it's an insurance job. Who leaves all keys on site over the weekend like

I know a dealer that took a few guys on a test drive and while chatting they swapped keys with a dummy one that you wouldn't have known. Came back over the weekend and took the cars. They aren't stupid and as bad as it sounds they are professionals.

Speedy.

RMS Regular
Drives
1996 Civic EJ9
I wonder why people have such expensive cars, (the type that are stolen and never seen again) and dont have trackers on them or anti key theft/kill switch?
Especially old jap cars that are stolen all the time, the owner of that s15 was lucky he got it back, Wouldn't have been stole if it had some decent security, Small price to pay but most people don't bother.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I wonder why people have such expensive cars, (the type that are stolen and never seen again) and dont have trackers on them or anti key theft/kill switch?
Especially old jap cars that are stolen all the time, the owner of that s15 was lucky he got it back, Wouldn't have been stole if it had some decent security, Small price to pay but most people don't bother.

Trackers are pointless when cars are stolen to order by pros though, far from fool proof

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

To be fair, if someone ever nicked my car, I never want to see it again.

I have never activated a tracker in any car I've had with one.

Speedy.

RMS Regular
Drives
1996 Civic EJ9
Trackers are pointless when cars are stolen to order by pros though, far from fool proof
Kill switch, Cars not starting unless they find the switch or bring their own wiring loom and Idk how effective a disklok would be up against pros but they stop joyriders.
Not much can be done if they decide to tow/lift your car other than having a good alarm and hoping it goes off.

Speedy.

RMS Regular
Drives
1996 Civic EJ9

Depends on the person I suppose, The main goal is to prevent your car from being stolen in the first place, Trackers are only useful if your car is stolen by someone who isn't using a GPS jammer, Still worth having one imo.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Trackers are pointless. Police were standing beside my stolen skyline and I was talking to them at the time and the officer said we still may need to leave the car if it kicks off (was found in west Belfast, naturally) it did have a kill switch too but was found

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Far too many cars are stole by ex owners of the cars with keys/fobs and knowledge of the car etc. Pure scum.

Being a victim of car theft I know the owners are far better off if car is burnt to ground.

Speedy.

RMS Regular
Drives
1996 Civic EJ9
Trackers are pointless. Police were standing beside my stolen skyline and I was talking to them at the time and the officer said we still may need to leave the car if it kicks off (was found in west Belfast, naturally) it did have a kill switch too but was found
Joyriders have been known to hide cars and save them for later or the next day, that's probably the only time a tracker would come in handy.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I always make sure I make a wee alteration or two in order to try and prevent anyone else from starting my car even if they manage to get the keys, it's one of the first things I do upon purchase while I'm giving it the initial once over and correcting the things I'm not happy with. Helps that I can do it myself I suppose, I've had two attempted thefts over the years and thankfully the score is currently dub_cub 2.... thieving scum 0

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Kill switch wont work on anything modern and a competent thief could quickly bypass it anyway. Tracker is the same, unless you and a ton of mates are willing to do something and then what happens when you jump out of the car all full of brave pills and someone points a Glock 9 at your face ???

These are organised gangs not joyriders so its a little different from some teenager having what he deems to be 'fun'

As for the long gone comment @therock it wont be. It will be hidden in a shed somewhere around south armagh or over the border waiting on the heat to die down or being stripped for parts. Cars have been recovered before weeks after being taken through vigilance of the Police / public.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I understand stripping a skyline/Subaru/evo/m3 but a c63? Surely that's stolen to order and heading out of the country

Not necessarily. The prices of parts on something like a C63 makes them very lucrative for breaking. Here one example of a steering wheel.... something that's easily removed and for reasons I've yet to truly understand, easily sold:

Look at this on eBay MERCEDES STEERING W213 E B CLA250 GLE C63 WHEEL FLAT BOTTOM CUSTOM PADDLES THICK | eBay

VS E36 M3 wheel

Look at this on eBay BMW M3 E36 EVO steering wheel. | eBay

Even rusty brake discs are on for £270 odd!

Look at this on eBay Mercedes Benz C63 E63 AMG W204 W207 Front Brake Disc Genuine 2007-2014 | eBay

And two grand for a pair of headlights!!??

Look at this on eBay MERCEDES C CLASS W205 AMG LINE C63 XENON BI LED HEADLIGHTS COMPLETE | eBay

Same goes with any other car that's not readily available in a scrap yard. New models, classics, high end rare motors, etc.

You could pull 10 grands of stuff off a car in a couple of hours and its much easier shifted than a full motor especially with the likes of eBay.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's a big problem in the states. The cars are dumped with barely anything left on them, even huge chunks of panels cut out, presumably for body repairs to other cars.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What way does insurance work with a car that is stolen and recovered? If your car turns up do you HAVE to take it back? Or do you get the option of having the insurance pay out instead?

Obviously the car could be missing for weeks and the insurance could pay out in the interim, they just keep the car then?

I assume this is how the Cat C/D stolen/recovered cars come about?

dannydnn

RMS Regular
What way does insurance work with a car that is stolen and recovered? If your car turns up do you HAVE to take it back? Or do you get the option of having the insurance pay out instead?

Obviously the car could be missing for weeks and the insurance could pay out in the interim, they just keep the car then?

I assume this is how the Cat C/D stolen/recovered cars come about?

If they pay out and it gets recovered it's their car but they'll over it to you as "salvage" to buy back

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
What about if it gets found before insurance pay out?

I had a car recovered before insurance had paid out. Needless to say I didn't want to keep it as they had taken a small hatchet to the interior & dash and the engine didn't sound remotely healthy. I took it to a mechanic and let him know I'd appreciate an estimate for insurance but I'd rather it was written off, I gave the insurance company the mechanics details and everything was sorted without me having to see the car again.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What if there was no visible damage or if it was minimal?

I just wouldn't want it back full stop.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
What if there was no visible damage or if it was minimal?

I just wouldn't want it back full stop.

I'm not sure to be honest. For instance if it was stolen with keys and recovered from being parked in a soak point (to check for trackers etc), there could be zero damage I guess.

It was a sickening drive in the car from the Police station to the mechanic in my case, they'd left wrappers of food and crap in the car and the hatchet under the seat.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)

I agree if someone stole my car id hope to never receive a call to say "We have just found it up Divis direction and the back tyres are shagged clean out of it .. but you can come and collect it"

No thanks, if you steal it just have the courtesy to burn it out.

Last edited: