Subaru, Type R, VXR or ST ? What would you pick?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
The civ is a very civilised car on the road, with a more high rent feel (again this is my own opinion) Lovely trim feel, seemed nicely built, and reasonable value these days. Plenty of FI scope should you choose that route.
Someone mentioned the MPS, great cars too if you want something that little more quirkier than the mainstream, and a great sleeper due to it not being as commonplace on the roads.
c0cksizing on power/torque wouldnt interest me any more, my 8 gets slated yet its only a few hundredths off an NSX round the top gear track, and we all know how much love they get here.
Go drive them - its really the only way youll know what you like.
I tried a lot of the commonplace favourites before I drove the 8 and was smitten in minutes - the proof really is in the pudding

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
1. Civic Type R - for general reliability and ease of running
Joint 2nd. Astra and Focus - for noise making alone and general looks
4. WRX - great noise, but an ugly bast*rd

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
All those cars are either wrong-wheel-drive or too many wheel drive. There has to be a BMW or RWD Nissan that would make a decent comparision?

They are all too modern for me yet, so Ive no real desire to own any of them except the Subaru.

stevyg

RMS Regular
I don't like any of them. They are all bland/boring. Get an STI or Evo and forget all that FWD Ford & Vauxhall snooze zzzzz

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
I recently considered this range of cars myself... then somehow ended up buying a 5 series...
Not as fast but RWD and fun and a comfy luxo barge for long distance cruising too :grinning:

scub

Banned
Pistons are fine, its the bearings that are made out of marshmallows :laughing::laughing:
Oh and a 45 litre tank wtf is that all about? Were they designed for the isle of man?
i'll give you that 1 - 15 mpg and a tank the size of a biscuit tin - doh !

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I'm getting old I would have none of them. An e60 550i would float my boat more

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
For me it would have to be:

ST- Had one and loved it.
WRX- I would take an EVO over one but atleast it has a turbo and 4wd. Never driven one but Im sure they are amazing on B-roads.
VXR- For me I would rather have a ST but they are pretty much the same spec of car (Maybe they dont handle as well, I dont know never driven one).
FN2- Its a Honda, It has no Tubro, and to drive a typer you need a hairdo and spiceboy clothes :p

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
8147720115_1fdb25f6ec_z.jpg

WRX - Drove a classic STI and really enjoyed it, rather like the hawkeye WRX in red and they dont come in STi guise
FN2 - Great looking daily.
VXR - Like looking out of a letter box, never driven a VXR only an SRi but they do sound great with an exhaust!
Translink ...
Pony ...
Getting DaddyC to carry me everywhere ...
Walking...
Hopping ...
Mobility scooter ...
ST - Had one, very few redeeming points imo, not fast

I'd also consider an MPS Mazda, Renaultsport Megane 225, M3, VW GTi and SEAT Leon Cupra before the FN2's etc :grinning:

johnm

RMS Regular
All those cars are either wrong-wheel-drive or too many wheel drive. There has to be a BMW or RWD Nissan that would make a decent comparision?

They are all too modern for me yet, so Ive no real desire to own any of them except the Subaru.

Yup yup and yup!
I'd run past them all and into an R32 gtst or gtr ... mmmmm....

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
It was the creaks of the door rubbers as you pulled onto the kerb or cornered hard!

I never got that, but my door card always creaked :worried: and some plastic around the parcel shelf. Still tho I did love that car.

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
Ive been lucky enough to have driven all 4 in some shape or form and for me it would be:
Focus ST - Nice looking car, great noise and some of the comfiest seats ive sat in
Type R - really grown on me over the past year, good value for money atm and vtec :grinning:
VXR - would have to be a nuremburg or a racing edition(red/black) with full leather and the nicer exhaust system
Subaru - would want nothing less than the STI cause id only end up spending money to make it like one

Tbh over them all id take my gen2 MPS 3 (y) yes its FWD and tries to pull me into the ditch on hard acceleration but its faster, better spec'd and the smile it puts on my face every morning before i even get in to it is well worth it :laughing:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
No, im looking for one and could do without the competition :p.

wrx or sti? im seriously considering selling the evo to free up some cash and get another 2 door Type R at half the money8-(

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.