Subaru, Type R, VXR or ST ? What would you pick?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lewis.

RMS Regular
OP
Lewis.
Drives
S14 Zenki
I found this interesting. This is the Top gear lap times

123. Subaru Impreza WRX STI WR1 1:29.40 114 '05 320 / 1470 The Stig
124. Shelby GT500 1:30.00 113 '06 507 / 1807 The Stig
125. Subaru Impreza WRX STi 1:30.10 113 '05 280 / 1500 The Stig
126. VW Golf Mk V R32 1:30.40 112 '05 247 / 1510 The Stig
127. Aston Martin DB7 GT 1:30.40 112 '03 435 / 1780 The Stig
128. Renault Megane Sport F1-Team R26 1:30.60 112 '07 231 / 1375 The Stig
129. Ford Focus RS500 1:30.80 d 112 '10 350 / 1450 The Stig

157. VW Golf Mk IV R32 1:33.30 109 '02 241 / 1452 The Stig

159. Seat Leon Cupra 1:33.50 109 '06 241 / 1420 The Stig
160. Ford Focus ST 1:33.50 109 '05 225 / 1392 The Stig
161. Honda Civic Type-R 1:33.50 109 '07 201 / 1355 The Stig
162. VW Golf Mk V GTI 1:33.70 108 '04 200 / 1303 The Stig
163. Renault Clio 182 1:33.80 108 '05 182 / 1090 The Stig

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
I'd say Focus ST out of that lot, although they all have downfalls. You'll own the WRX for a few weeks and wish you'd got an STI (not the type Hillbilly passes about). Focus ST will drink the juice like a Belfast Alco and it's not that much different from every other 2 million focus' going about.

I'd say look through pistonheads, something similar but a bit more juicy than the norm will turn up, like an alfa gta or the such.

Lewis.

RMS Regular
OP
Lewis.
Drives
S14 Zenki
I'd say Focus ST out of that lot, although they all have downfalls. You'll own the WRX for a few weeks and wish you'd got an STI (not the type Hillbilly passes about). Focus ST will drink the juice like a Belfast Alco and it's not that much different from every other 2 million focus' going about.

I'd say look through pistonheads, something similar but a bit more juicy than the norm will turn up, like an alfa gta or the such.

So something along these lines would be better?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-wrx-sti-prodrive-4dr-uk-car-version-8/883145

And would i not be correct in thinking that that a WRX PPP is the same horsepower as a WRX STI ?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Been said a million times but if you can afford the sti and a we bit more insurance def go for it......better engine, brakes, gearbox, turbo, heads, injectors, interior, suspension etc etc

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Better as in reliability or power? This is a second car to cart the baby round in, I don't need 276hp!!

Is all that stuff actually different in the STI? I thought it was just the map that was different?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
just better, drives a whole lot better too with the decent diffs in it and not the poverty crap thrown into the wrx's

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
This thread makes me miss my old STI :sob:

WRX first choice, ST second. It its not got a flat 4 or a 5 pot, i'm simply not going to rate it :laughing:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Better as in reliability or power? This is a second car to cart the baby round in, I don't need 276hp!!

Is all that stuff actually different in the STI? I thought it was just the map that was different?

No theres quite a few differences...
Forged pistons
AVCS heads
STI exhaust
STI shocks/springs
Bomb proof 6 speed box
Bigger turbo
Bigger injectors
Brembos
Better interior
Blue STI dials
More agressive external styling

They just drive a whole lot better out of the box than a WRX

stevyg

RMS Regular

:eek: you said need

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No theres quite a few differences...
Forged pistons
AVCS heads
STI exhaust
STI shocks/springs
Bomb proof 6 speed box
Bigger turbo
Bigger injectors
Brembos
Better interior
Blue STI dials
More agressive external styling

They just drive a whole lot better out of the box than a WRX

Are the equivalent components in the WRX prone to failing, or is it just a case of the STi as a whole package is better?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
no they arent prone to failing as long as they arent pushed to extremes...just the sti is a better overall package and is more focused, quicker more potential etc. My brothwer had a wrx bugeye and he sold it on after 6 months, it didnt inspire much confidence as a 4wd in standard form, they can be upgraded though.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
As much as I agree that an STI is a superior car for what Lyons wants the car for a WRX is fine and significantly cheaper. I had a WRX bugeye wagon for over a year as my runabout car and its perfect for that, a bit of power when you need it, good handling car with plenty of room. For what I was using it for the STI would have been overkill and I think its similar to Lyons. The only reason I changed was Im now in final year and needed something a bit more economical as my miles have increased a bit so got a diesel.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I haved owned 2 ST's one at 300bhp and a mountune at 265. I have also had decent drives in everything else mention. In wrx form the Impreza is totally underwhelming, an sti is a different all game though.

Vxr have a horrible gearbox, do t deliver their power well, they look great though and are nice inside.

Fn2 feels slow and the handling is a little softly for what you expect from a type R, love the looks and interior of them.

ST sounds great, tune well, comfy seats and look nice. They have issues though and both of mine have given problems. They are an animal on fuel too. Still my pick of that bunch though.

As a side note, I have a megane 225 cup atm. As a drivers tool it is much better than every other hot hat hatch. It handles so well with great feel to the steering. Power delivery is fantastic, the brakes are incredible. Downsides its not as nice as the others inside, although it is well spec'd. Gearbox doesn't have a precise shift when driving on though nice in nor.al commute. It also returns 36mpg and is much much cheaper than its competition

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Out of that list (I've driven all bar a WRX as I've only driven STi Imprezas) it would be the ST Focus hands down. In fact I bought a ST and kept it for nearly 5 years. It would be an ST-2 for me as it has everything you'll need and I hate leather seats. Never gave any issues either. Great car. The Astra as standard has a chassis that can't cope with the power it has and as a result it drives awfully. The Type R is too slow in the straights and too soft gain anything in the corners. And as stated I can't really comment on a WRX as I wouldn't own one on principle. Though i'd have a RB5 in a heartbeat.

Currently have a Clio RS200 and it would out handle them all. So much so I'd consider a Megane 225 (from which it shares some suspension ideas/bits) for that list.

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
iv'e owned 4 scoobys and to be honest i did long for a sti when i had my 04wrx but looking back the wrx was a lot easier to live with than all the others.yes the 06 sti was the daddy of the bunch in a lot of ways but in others it was too much.it got loads of attention good and bad,was a pig to fuel plus being reg'ed on the 26 march put it in the higher tax bracket.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.