Suzuki Swift Sport ZC31 Track Whip

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Urgh, I just watched a couple of videos on youtube of these and I've now added this to my ebay alerts. I miss the 172 dearly and this could be a querky replacement.

Looks great and they look like class craic.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Urgh, I just watched a couple of videos on youtube of these and I've now added this to my ebay alerts. I miss the 172 dearly and this could be a querky replacement.

Looks great and they look like class craic.

You should be able to get a decent one for half the price of a decent 172.

Found this one a while back which shows how well they work round the corners. Good tussle with one of those Clios at around the 4m mark

MarkM

RMS Regular
Do these generally compare well to 172s? I’d love to do another track car, my road legal 172 cup was doing 1.10s round Kirkistown so it’ll be interesting to see where this is, I could be tempted :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Doubt it’ll see what way a 172 went round kirkistown to be honest. It’s going to be quite a bit slower on the straights. It’s probably more comparable to the RS Twingo and 500 Abarth.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Love this, something about 120-140bhp and less than a ton that means you can drive the life out of it without bankruptcy if anything gives up. Had a few 106 gtis and Rallyes, wife now has an Up GTi as she wanted something as fun as the 106 but with Aircon, dab and a warranty!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Missed this thread until now, class!! The 15" wheels with plenty of sidewall in the tyres are great.
Should be great craic on windey roads and tight tracks. 👍

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
After reading this I am now on the look out for 1 of these as I think it would suit me as a second car. These look a reliable fun car, and as a VW MK1 Golf is well out of my price range now - a Swift Sport should fill the void.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
White line adjustable rear ARB in. Went with stiffest setting because #trackwhip. Will road test and see don’t want the rear ending over taking the front every time there’s a corner lol

50AA4CA0-3EC8-4B27-9A8F-4ACF32C272F0.jpeg

0C866F7A-660B-479B-9191-D148399A77F1.jpeg

Also dialled in the front camber a bit. Can only get about 1.4 degrees on both sides. Was hoping for more but I suppose at least it’s even and I’ll get an expert to see if they can get more in.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
White line adjustable rear ARB in. Went with stiffest setting because #trackwhip. Will road test and see don’t want the rear ending over taking the front every time there’s a corner lol

View attachment 325419

View attachment 325420

Also dialled in the front camber a bit. Can only get about 1.4 degrees on both sides. Was hoping for more but I suppose at least it’s even and I’ll get an expert to see if they can get more in.
Do you have your own wheel alignment gauges?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Do you have your own wheel alignment gauges?

Yeah I’ve a roll over alignment and a digital level gauge I can measure camber with. Can get it close enough but would always throw it in somewhere for a second check over. Last time I had camber spot on but alignment was out a wee bit.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
After reading this I am now on the look out for 1 of these as I think it would suit me as a second car. These look a reliable fun car, and as a VW MK1 Golf is well out of my price range now - a Swift Sport should fill the void.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Yeah I’ve a roll over alignment and a digital level gauge I can measure camber with. Can get it close enough but would always throw it in somewhere for a second check over. Last time I had camber spot on but alignment was out a wee bit.

I love your wheels alignment chat - esp your perseverance after the alignment I assisted with on the Grand Cherokee. The one where you needed opposite lock to keep it in a straight line 😂. Heart of a lion. I’d imagine you’ve improved.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I love your wheels alignment chat - esp your perseverance after the alignment I assisted with on the Grand Cherokee. The one where you needed opposite lock to keep it in a straight line 😂. Heart of a lion. I’d imagine you’ve improved.

There was a trick with that one. I think it was to drive it in a straight line and note the position of the steering wheel then tweak the steering arm until the wheel was straight. Unfortunately it only works in increments of 360 degrees which was our main downfall at the time :joy:

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That’s cool! The last time I did wheel alignment myself was in the days of the old mirror style gauges, they were fun! Lol

Sorta like these yokes:

D43B5C2B-602C-4F17-9BE7-4FA24E188426.jpeg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Brake lines finally arrived today with dot 5.1, so hope to get those fitted in the next coupe of weeks or so. In the mean time I tidied a few areas under the arches and began to look into setting the suspension up. Really all I've done is try to find a reasonable ride height and checked some settings against what Tein recommended. Broke out the tape measure... nothing too scientific at this point. Got my preload set on the front springs then wound them down a drop, the rear works differently so it's already preloaded and just moves the perch up and down like what I'm used to on the more 'economical' coilovers. I should probably get the corner weighting done; I'll look into that along with alignment later but at this point I'm not sure what to ask for or what I need.

Looks like the adjustable drop links have been set fairly well and put the front ARB bang in the middle of the driveshaft and the control arm. It's kind of hard to tell though

1E0C0C6B-BE30-4279-89A8-B83060079CCE.jpeg

Front needs to be a touch lower

8D58CC18-74E5-4A6E-8487-695DBD3B2906.jpeg

And the rear a touch higher

24E9D780-09C6-4D73-B09E-40F44B93F911.jpeg

Also gave it a full set of belts and plugs. The belts were a total PITA. One of those jobs I'd banked 10 minutes for that ended up taking a few hours. Have some Millers motorsport oil for the box and engine to go in as part of an overall service.

More updates to come.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Was dropping a few bits in and thought I’d throw the CG Lock on while I was clean.

Really pins you into the seat. Quite surprising how effective it is.

5357961B-CEFB-4C3F-ADEF-F666CB4D28DA.jpeg

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
A harness certainly takes the strain out of your arms so you can concentrate on steering rather than keeping yourself from eating dash.