terra clean?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah hutchy forte wouldn't sort it and this did so can't ask for much more than that. Just preventative measures now I know more about how the dpf works

How did you go about using Forte to try and clean the DPF filter? And which product did you use?

Cro

RMS Regular
How did you go about using Forte to try and clean the DPF filter? And which product did you use?

Forte have a dpf cleaner product, gets great reviews online. Just stick it in with a tank full and from what Ive read its meant to stick to any soot and burns at a lower temperature. I also think @Woodcutter might stock it perhaps. I think mine was much too far gone because of glow plugs not working and me not realising. I'll be using the forte stuff every now and again as an additional help

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Forte have a dpf cleaner product, gets great reviews online. Just stick it in with a tank full and from what Ive read its meant to stick to any soot and burns at a lower temperature. I also think @Woodcutter might stock it perhaps. I think mine was much too far gone because of glow plugs not working and me not realising. I'll be using the forte stuff every now and again as an additional help

I'm a big fan of the Forte products.

Their own idea for a DPF cleaner, when a filter is completely blocked, is to remove it from the vehicle and allow it to soak in some of their diesel treatment (yellow cap bottle) overnight, and then power wash it prior to refitting.

After speaking to William, our old Forte rep, I tried this on an ML420 CDi, and he said that if it wasn't successful, he would replenish our stock of diesel treatment with whatever I used to try it. With nothing but a few hours to lose, I tried it, and needless to say it worked very well.

Another product I've found that works well, when a customer is wanting to keep the DPF as opposed to removing it, is the ProTec Top Gun cleaner which is administered via a gun with a long hose through a pressure or temp sensor before the filter. The gun applies the cleaner as a foam and it pushes through the filter, taking the particles with it. When used in conjunction with their (ProTec's) diesel additive, it definitely does a good job too, showing massive reductions in particle counts and pressures on the diagnostics machine.

Walder

RMS Regular
Bit of a thread revival.

What are people's opinions of a terra clean ot similar product 6 months a year down the line? My big ol diesel a4 just hit the 130k mark no major issues but I feel a good scrubbing is the least the work horse deserves.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bit of a thread revival.

What are people's opinions of a terra clean ot similar product 6 months a year down the line? My big ol diesel a4 just hit the 130k mark no major issues but I feel a good scrubbing is the least the work horse deserves.

Problem is, terraclean etc doesnt get anywhere near any bits that actually need cleaned anyway. It really is a waste of money.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I stripped and engine approx 8 months after it had been done with terraclean,

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

The first pic is a before and after I stripped it. The 2nd picture you can see the carbon build up and where something has been used to try break it down. (The hollow area at the Base of the stem)

Needless to say I don't really think much of it.

RCT

RMS Regular
Was that a turbocharged engine @pobmk4 ? If so what state Was the turbo in after the 8k? Sure look at my engine a few pages back after max 100 miles before I stripped it.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Yeah @RCT it was a TFSI, the turbo was actually grand. No other wear on the entire engine. Needless to say the guy was disappointed when I showed him how good a result he got from the terraclean, especially after showing him how I left the valves with a proper removal clean and reseat.

Walder

RMS Regular
Cool appreciate the feedback.

Seen previous posts about people using forte additives, been looking at the turbo cleaner and diesel fuel additive again is this just another I've used it so I believe it worked solution? Or can people say it has worked for them?

As amazon is giving it rave reviews.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Good oil, filters and above all good diesel. The weak link is in the drivers seat, drive with mechanical sympathy the car will go forever. No gimmicks drive properly and look after it, it will look after your pocket. My mondeo has amazed me I look forward to seeing 350k and beyond.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Yeah @RCT it was a TFSI, the turbo was actually grand. No other wear on the entire engine. Needless to say the guy was disappointed when I showed him how good a result he got from the terraclean, especially after showing him how I left the valves with a proper removal clean and reseat.

The only way to clean an engine :grinning: You can feel the difference when you've cleaned everything and reseated the valves etc, the engines always just seem stronger afterwards!

Why do those engines generate so much crud?

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The only way to clean an engine :grinning: You can feel the difference when you've cleaned everything and reseated the valves etc, the engines always just seem stronger afterwards!

Why do those engines generate so much crud?

PCV's and general design. To keep emissions better they recirculate a lot of oil and water vapour etc which usually is sent to the exhaust.

PCV delete and catch can cures it but unless you do it from new you'll always have a build up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It's all down to PCV and EGR.

Remove those and all that goes through the engine is clean fresh air ( assuming a good air filter of course )

PCV draws oily ***** in from the crankcase, and EGR draws in ***** from the exhaust.

At least a normal petrol injection engine has the petrol against the valve to offer some cleaning effect. But modern direct injection has nothing of the sort, so the dirt just builds and builds.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.