The fleet of has-beens

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I wish it was a real samurai lol thought about replacing it but its going to need a list of other things as well and parts are such a nightmare that things like transcooler lines are basically impossible to get, not worth it.

Yeah know what you mean. A decent innings anyway.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
Haven't really updated this in a long time.

Black L322 is coming upto 140k miles now so about 45k in 4 years, and just completed another 400 miles trip loaded up with bikes, people, camping gear and don't think there is a car on the road that would do it better.

Spent a bit of time on it recently to replace the leaking ac condenser and the radiator that had seen better days, and swap out old for new rear hub bushes on one side, of course the other side seems to have worn in no time now and will get those stuck in as well. Also new rear tyres (these eat tyres).

1718268052063.png
1718270168462.png

Contemplating changing to a set of 20" new defender wheels as the 22's really aren't made for our roads, but I do love the way she looks as is.
1718271177395.jpeg
1718271344193.png

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
Maserati - Was sold on I think it was at the start of the year, unbelievable car for the money and a real beast but just not used and never planned to keep her for too long really, glad I owned it.

Jeep - long since gone, was bought by a guy to drive and live in Poland, great owl wagons and tbh a far better buy than a defender for most people. Although getting parts was a bloody pita.

Td5 defender - Also went last year, heap like all defenders lol Although had its own charm.

Swift - basically forgotten about and need to get the airbag light and traction light switched off /investigated and decided what im doing with it.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Maserati - Was sold on I think it was at the start of the year, unbelievable car for the money and a real beast but just not used and never planned to keep her for too long really, glad I owned it.

Jeep - long since gone, was bought by a guy to drive and live in Poland, great owl wagons and tbh a far better buy than a defender for most people. Although getting parts was a bloody pita.

Td5 defender - Also went last year, heap like all defenders lol Although had its own charm.

Swift - basically forgotten about and need to get the airbag light and traction light switched off /investigated and decided what im doing with it.
My defender, back breaker - tried to kill me with the mud tyres - noisy and expensive to keep on the road. Awesome in mud but honestly I was glad to say goodbye.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
My defender, back breaker - tried to kill me with the mud tyres - noisy and expensive to keep on the road. Awesome in mud but honestly I was glad to say goodbye.
Yeah what makes them cool makes them crap lol I went to england a couple of weekends ago to buy an xs td5 for a friend and have to say the wee bit of spec and being completely standard transforms the drive of it, actually not too bad at all.

I love them but the money involved is stupid, I mainly bought that td5 cause it was going cheap with issues and was able to fix and get a turn at it, a series is far better unless its a daily.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
With the black RR off the road longer than id hoped thanks to trying to get the radiator repaired unsuccessfully, waiting on tools and autodoc cocking up the order and also working on my bro's car at the same time, I snapped up the s60 that was for sale on here a few months ago as a bit of courtesy car for us both, £20 on some handbreak shoes and she sailed through the mot. She's a pre dpf D5 manual with a reasonable spec.

1718287222023.png

Tbh it's probably the most boring car I've ever bought but it's kind of endearing the way it doesn't try to be anything else, nice comfy cruiser that does 50mpg and that's that. I used away at her for a few months on and off and the bro has now taken her on full time after I sold his car for him so no longer mine but I will still be looking after it.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
With the black RR off the road longer than id hoped thanks to trying to get the radiator repaired unsuccessfully, waiting on tools and autodoc cocking up the order and also working on my bro's car at the same time, I snapped up the s60 that was for sale on here a few months ago as a bit of courtesy car for us both, £20 on some handbreak shoes and she sailed through the mot. She's a pre dpf D5 manual with a reasonable spec.

View attachment 437374

Tbh it's probably the most boring car I've ever bought but it's kind of endearing the way it doesn't try to be anything else, nice comfy cruiser that does 50mpg and that's that. I used away at her for a few months on and off and the bro has now taken her on full time after I sold his car for him so no longer mine but I will still be looking after it.
Good to see it's still going strong!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
I picked up a 2nd lpg L322 4.4 for very fair money towards the end of last year cause it was having ABS issues, plan was to fix it up and turn it into a camper build to use in the spring and then sell on. Thankfully it turned out to be the same as we'd had on the back one and was a heat damaged ABS ECU, a 2nd hand one from a similar production date with matching serial numbers can be swapped in and the steering angle sensor recalibrated to accept it.

IMG_7397.jpeg

After a few unsuccessful tries to recalibrate at a mechanics due to a losse OBD port losing connection on and off I managed to do it with my reader at home once id the port fixed.
Drove it around for a while and then pulled it into the shed for some mot prep and noticed a drip from the front passenger side arch, part of the protective trim had broken and exposed the brake lines and they were absolutely stinking, put it off for ages and it just lay in the shed but losing the shed I finally had to stick some new lines in.

IMG_7976.jpeg

Went in to the shed working 100% but has come out with the suspension in the air at the back and on the ground at the front 🤦‍♂️ I think the battery was disconnected for so long that it has recalibrated itself in the position it was sat in the shed on the jack / axle stands and just sent its self mad.

So the plan is to get it sorted and get it sold as gone off the idea of a camper build, have no room to store it and would rather the cash.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
Last post and im caught up to date.

The series just continues to potter along needing very little, although I did notice in a reflection that the brake lights weren't working so I will grab a new brake switch from bloc as the current one is very sticky. It will likely go for sale very soon as no storage for it atm and it really isn't getting used much. Will enjoy tidying it up a wee bit and probably list her, think its coming on 3/4 years now of ownership and still makes me smile every time I drive it, but time for a clearout and see what happens from there.
1718373680168.png

Was on the look out for something sportyish, 6 cylinder and manual and this wee V6 TT came up for sale only 10mins off the ferry for a great price, dsg rather than manual but 2 out of 3 aint bad and ive never owned a VAG car.

Owned by an elderly gentleman that has sadly passed away for the last I think it was 6 years, has sat for the last 8 months and has got some crusty arches likely caused by a few scrapes and scratches but they really aren't too bad and it doesn't seem to have spread too much. Drove really and has great history with the im told very important DSG and Haldex services up to date, and tbh im chuffed to bits with it (even if it is an owl VAG).

Will keep me entertained while I fix and clear out most of the rest of them.

1718374228642.png

IMG_8175.jpeg

So that leaves me with the black rr which will be going nowhere, green rr will be sold, series likely be sold, TT to toy at, and the the swift I'm undecided on what to do with it.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
The series is lovely!

To be honest, I think the TT is something to tidy up and keep good! I almost, almost regret using the one I had as an engine doner as they're from the period when Audi made good quality, unassuming but nice looking cars, unlike the over the top stuff they make now!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That TT is cool. There is a guy on marketplace selling a Maxton splitter for one if of any interest.

That front bumper is worth a fortune alone.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
The series is a wee 2 1/4 petrol, super simple so just starts up as long as shes charge and puts away, can’t drive it and be in bad form. Will do @Dave.., she had new shocks allround there not long ago, but wouldn’t call her comfy all the same haha but very honest condition and great chassis on her.

What sort of money is on the splitter @Boydie ? If I lowered it i think they look well but standard would look a bit silly maybr, cause she really isn’t low. I like this one bar the wheels

IMG_8177.jpg

@cauld1 im honestly suprised how much I like it all be it only a day in, engine is a peach. I’ll definitely tidy it up but how long I keep it im not sure, does feel like a wee boxster rival for not much over a k though.

@dph1979 sorry thats my inbox clear.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Hate to say it, but a wee wheel spacer fair helps them too 8o| :joy:

Have an A4 from the same era and it's a quality car as well. Both absolutely miles ahead of our 2023 Q4 tbh.

_Mackers_

RMS Regular
I'd love another TT had a 1.8T 225 one mapped it was decent fun for all the money I payed. The 3 bar grill on that one is pretty rare too always see people in the Facebook groups looking for them.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
Hate to say it, but a wee wheel spacer fair helps them too 8o| :joy:

Have an A4 from the same era and it's a quality car as well. Both absolutely miles ahead of our 2023 Q4 tbh.
Hugely, the rears especially are lost in the arches.

@Boydie thats a bit ott looking tbh, but I can confirm the car is no for breaking bumper available for £699 lol

I'd love another TT had a 1.8T 225 one mapped it was decent fun for all the money I payed. The 3 bar grill on that one is pretty rare too always see people in the Facebook groups looking for them.
Aye think its one of the latter ones being an 05, seemed to have stopped making them 05/06

Bit of a bearing squeak coming from the engine there this morning so something to look at, usual niggles after being sat up just hopefully.

Dave..

RMS Regular
The series is a wee 2 1/4 petrol, super simple so just starts up as long as shes charge and puts away, can’t drive it and be in bad form. Will do @Dave.., she had new shocks allround there not long ago, but wouldn’t call her comfy all the same haha but very honest condition and great chassis on her.

What sort of money is on the splitter @Boydie ? If I lowered it i think they look well but standard would look a bit silly maybr, cause she really isn’t low. I like this one bar the wheels

View attachment 437500

@cauld1 im honestly suprised how much I like it all be it only a day in, engine is a peach. I’ll definitely tidy it up but how long I keep it im not sure, does feel like a wee boxster rival for not much over a k though.

@dph1979 sorry thats my inbox clear.
So I have suddenly decided that I need another Lightweight in a series 2 or 3, or a military Land Rover in 2 or 3.
All this has happened from seeing the picture of your series 3.
Step 1 is to rejoin the military Land Rover forum to see what is about. My last one that broke my back looked similar to this.

IMG_4287.jpeg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
So I have suddenly decided that I need another Lightweight in a series 2 or 3, or a military Land Rover in 2 or 3.
All this has happened from seeing the picture of your series 3.
Step 1 is to rejoin the military Land Rover forum to see what is about. My last one that broke my back looked similar to this.

View attachment 437789
Scrap that and just buy mine in 2 weeks when I have her ready for sale haha

They are great fun to have round the place tbf, and a whole community to get into if u want to.

You’ll find they vary wildly in price these days, I’ll be looking about 4.5k for ours, hard to price but i think fair for something very usable or a gd base to improve on.

Stunning long wheelbase at kilbroney at the weekend,
IMG_8186.jpeg

Dave..

RMS Regular
Scrap that and just buy mine in 2 weeks when I have her ready for sale haha

They are great fun to have round the place tbf, and a whole community to get into if u want to.

You’ll find they vary wildly in price these days, I’ll be looking about 4.5k for ours, hard to price but i think fair for something very usable or a gd base to improve on.

Stunning long wheelbase at kilbroney at the weekend,
View attachment 437791
Yours looks nice and worth that but I have always wanted a series 2 and ex military.
Until I saw your picture it was an idea buried deep. I am in no rush and will wait to get a decent one.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
Colleague of my bro has a wolf in I believe mint condition and was chatting about selling, if I hear he’s selling I’ll let you know.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Colleague of my bro has a wolf in I believe mint condition and was chatting about selling, if I hear he’s selling I’ll let you know.
A bit too new but sure let me know please. Funny I was just looking at a WIMK for £40k but had all the FFR stuff and 2 GPMG’s. Still seems very expensive.
I was offered a Series 1 about 20 years ago for £4.5k but couldn’t afford it. It still haunts me 😂

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
OP
Jbridges522
Drives
986 & RR
Old brake light switch on the series came apart in my hand, so easy diagnosis thankfully. Wuick run over to blrc, in stock and only £6 i think it was and we have working brake light’s again.

IMG_8195.jpeg

One of the biggest joys of Land Rover ownership is the parts availability and prices.