The "I bought a cheap E36 M3, whats the worst that can happen?" thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Up top...
0334387d80c8209daa7113bf62b79c6d.jpg

Underneath...
undercarriage.jpg

:p

Hopefully all's well as if you can put a bit of time and money into those noticeable areas the car will be a great example!

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
You've a heart like a lion @pablo ! I still cant believe where the prices of these went. I had a 3.0 Avus just like this one many moons ago, have no pics sadly. Replaced it a while later with the 3.2 Evo below. IIRC I sold it for around £5500.. and it was in excellent condition when I parted with it.

Image007.jpg

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Hell yes! Love the colour combo... Regarding the Cat D you mentioned... I wouldn’t give a crap it was back in March 1998, so it’s not like it was recently hit. Most of them are hit by now and unrecorded anyway. At least with this you know what you have and didn’t have to pay ‘mint’ money.

It’ll be a really fun car to restore and you can properly drive it and not have to worry about it being a garage queen and tucking it away. Much more enjoyment, trust me. I’ve been looking for one of these as a project, but even rough ones over here are silly money and I just can’t justify it. Health to drive!

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Love projects like this, sorry I sold mine, its amazing how some parts can be so cheap from the dealers , look forward to the updates

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I’m pretty sure you were in that white 36 the first time I attended a meet off RMS.

Looks a decent base and nothing too concerning to start with.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
finding more stuff now I cleaned it. you only truly know a cars condition when you polish it lol

- some rust bubbling on bootlid above the button
- light dent on roof
- light dent in door

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Hell yes! Love the colour combo... Regarding the Cat D you mentioned... I wouldn’t give a crap it was back in March 1998, so it’s not like it was recently hit. Most of them are hit by now and unrecorded anyway. At least with this you know what you have and didn’t have to pay ‘mint’ !

Cat d doesn't bother me either, particularly for a rare sought after car.....when the price is right.

But many will question what sort of damage the car would have taken if it was written off after being only a few years old. Now I'm not putting the car down but you can bet the reason it didn't sell within a day being online is due to the category status. The English are particularly anal about it.

Gemma

RMS Regular
This will be looking sweet in no time at all! Fact is, I love all e36s regardless if their mint or not. I let two e36s out infront of me leaving dubshed (they were part of a big group parked up so only fair to let them out all together) and I thought it was so cool all three of us, All different colours, different styles all trundling along together

Would love to get a wee e36 meet on the go again :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
This will be looking sweet in no time at all! Fact is, I love all e36s regardless if their mint or not. I let two e36s out infront of me leaving dubshed (they were part of a big group parked up so only fair to let them out all together) and I thought it was so cool all three of us, All different colours, different styles all trundling along together

Would love to get a wee e36 meet on the go again :grinning:

@Woodcutter is doing a wee retro car meet up at his shop some saturday should be good craic.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Health to enjoy. You can't beat an e36 M3, no later model comes close. Don't care what the BMW beards say.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Are you going to daily it?

I love the 5 speed box in the 3.0.

Very tempted to put a 5 speed into my evo when it goes back together and come sale time put the six speed back in.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
love e36 ///M3s there my favourite car ( within reason) I look forward to see the bits and pieces you tidy up & the progress & updates in this thread. The last 3.0L i was in had 140k on it & it got up the road like a rocket ! I said to my mate who was driving ' Jeez i dont think shes lost to many horses ! ' she Was an English car L Reg 93/94 & The sheer pull/power out of it surprised me for the miles & year of the car, Some people say the 3.2 evo is Far faster ect but Tbh ive been in quite a few 3.0l ltrs & they'ed give some evos a run for there money, at the end of the day both cars were limited to 155 mph anyway. Good luck with her mate & Like i say Looking forward to the updates (y)

Gemma

RMS Regular
My 3litre would leave my 3.2 sitting for dead, that thing was absolutely mental quick! Lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.