The "I bought a cheap E36 M3, whats the worst that can happen?" thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My 3litre would leave my 3.2 sitting for dead, that thing was absolutely mental quick! Lol
yea i remember Some evo owners back in the day carrying on like because they had point 2 of a litre more they were talking like there car was a whole nother animal to 3.0L Lol. i always found it was easier to find a fitter 3'0L Than it was to find a fit Evo. Maybe because the 3.2 has a twin vanos unit that can be more prone to being down on power if there not right than the single unit.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
You've a heart like a lion @pablo ! I still cant believe where the prices of these went. I had a 3.0 Avus just like this one many moons ago, have no pics sadly. Replaced it a while later with the 3.2 Evo below. IIRC I sold it for around £5500.. and it was in excellent condition when I parted with it.

View attachment 188991
That was a nice motor ! Knew that car When it was owned by a couple of fellas here in warrenpoint

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
48D8956F-E6A9-443D-B96B-C057C1BFE8D9.jpeg

Good luck with it though! (y)

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I'd the outstanding privilege of meeting @pablo and the M3 tonight :p, since it was a nice day and all that!

In my opinion the M3 is a cracking example. There are very few good honest examples out there. It drives and goes well.

Anything Pablo does will only improve a great base to on.

This will be a great little project.

20180416_211529.jpg

20180416_211609.jpg

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
In one way I envy you that you had the balls to buy something like that, but I also think you are mad in the head, could go either way!
Personally I couldn't as it would end up stripped and a fortune spent on it and then be afraid to drive it which defeats the purpose.
Hope it works out for you, it certainly looks as good as some of the "clean" ones I have viewed in the past, and anything you have listed so far is no shame for any car of that age.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
hold that thought lol, took it into work this morning across the westlink and clutch was hard work. bite point was at the floor and seemed to get worse the longer I sat in traffic. Had to crunch into reverse in the carpark. It wasnt like that last night even. So looks like a clutch and flywheel might be on the list too!

Was great to meet you last night @Neil_M and be ///M beards :grinning: Like I was saying its kinda liberating with it being a cat D as Im not afraid to get stuck in. If it was a minter Id want genuine parts and probably pay someone to do the work to get the receipts for the folder. Each to their own of course, but this time round it feels right.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Great buy! They still look super after all this time. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

M3 plate too I see :p

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
hold that thought lol, took it into work this morning across the westlink and clutch was hard work. bite point was at the floor and seemed to get worse the longer I sat in traffic. Had to crunch into reverse in the carpark. It wasnt like that last night even. So looks like a clutch and flywheel might be on the list too!

Was great to meet you last night @Neil_M and be ///M beards :grinning: Like I was saying its kinda liberating with it being a cat D as Im not afraid to get stuck in. If it was a minter Id want genuine parts and probably pay someone to do the work to get the receipts for the folder. Each to their own of course, but this time round it feels right.

Is there not an issue with the hydraulic pipe at clutch with these, I'd be replacing it first!

Bronk

RMS Regular
fair play pablo.. taking on a project most people wouldnt entertain. What level do you want to bring the car up to when you have finished?

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
May as well jump in the bandwagon here with congratulations on a superb buy, good bad or recorded it’s still another one saved. Health to waft and all that surr(y)

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I'd maybe look at the hose anyway @pablo, just as @amg306 said.

A few basics like the slave, master and fluid are worth looking at. All much cheaper than a clutch lol.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Very nice pablo... do have a soft spot for these myself threatened to buy one on a few occasions!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.