The Supercars In Northern Ireland!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Those red trim bits are terrible!

I lol at the 5 and 10 year guarantee thing on these coatings too. How does anyone know what they'll be like in 10 years time?

Interestingly a neighbour of mine has a ceramic coated BMW and while it looks shiny, to me it is noticeably different in finish to a nicely waxed car. It's hard to describe but it's almost like it's harsh or lacks depth or something.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos

I lol at the 5 and 10 year guarantee thing on these coatings too. How does anyone know what they'll be like in 10 years time?

Interestingly a neighbour of mine has a ceramic coated BMW and while it looks shiny, to me it is noticeably different in finish to a nicely waxed car. It's hard to describe but it's almost like it's harsh or lacks depth or something.

We have had ceramics on cars for 6 years now with no issues. Depends how they are maintained though.

As for depth of finish, it's usually the opposite way about lol can't get finish from a wax even close to the gloss and depth of a ceramic.

Depends on maintenance, if it was applied correctly, what the paint correction underneath is like and also the coating itself. The cheaper coatings/Chinese coatings use a harsh bonding agent that is not good for paintwork, doesn't let paint breathe like it should and induce orange peel.

I have had to remove a couple on older happy imports and it's alot of work.

The market is flooded with cheap junk now and installers that dont have the knowledge to apply them correctly and also the skillset to get the car where it needs to be beforehand.

That's why you stick to the big tried and tested and properly developed brands like Gtechniq and Gyeon.

We fix so many coatings that people have had applied because they made their decision sheerly on price. Cheaper price is always a lesser product bit more often than not it's due to so many shortcuts being taken and the coatings gassing out, not bonding properly etc etc.

I agree though that the duration shouldn't be the selling point. Ease of maintenance and depth of finish are what we think are their biggest benefits

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Don’t dare speak ill of a ceramic coating on RMS :eek:!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Unfortunately that's just how supercars are. Loads of sanding marks etc from the factory, they are all the same lol

Wouldn't know personally but some day I might get to find out first hand, unless the used supercar market has all had paint correction detailing done lmfao.

I wonder if there are actually any manufacturers who pride themselves on paint finish and produce cars with no after work needed?

Anyone ever encountered this? I think I read that BMW used to have high paint standards

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

I personally prefer the wetness and depth from a good wax, I even find applying it therapeutic so it doesn't even bother me how regularly it needs done lol

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
For the record I have no issue with it. It just amuses me that it seems to be the go to thing.

Im juust having a laugh with it, after seeing @Carson 's S4 after it had been ceramic coated I have to say it was impressive stuff. However his M3 was so glossy with just a good detail, wax and sealant ... I suppose it all depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle etc

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
They are expensive yes but they make a serious difference in my opinion. The gloss levels and ease of cleaning make them worth their cost in my opinion.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
If anyone wants to really see what a coating can achieve with regards to finish, easy of washing and maintenance I’d urge them to watch some of Jim White’s work on YouTube. Lost many hours in his videos.

WhiteDetails

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
They are expensive yes but they make a serious difference in my opinion. The gloss levels and ease of cleaning make them worth their cost in my opinion.

I had my Meg 265 and Clio 200 both coated and I agree. Very easy to maintain and gloss levels certainly enhanced greatly.

Unfortunately both cars sustained damage while parked up outside my old house and it was just a pain having to factor in having the coating reapplied - obviously this isn’t the fault of the coating! This time round with the Cup-S I am just going for Exo on its own and top up with C2v3. No doubt that CSL or Ultra would really look fantastic on Flame Red though...

I know where @quattro Rick is coming from also regarding wax, therapeutic to apply and rewarding also as you can do it yourself and see the results as you go. With a toddler though time is limited and I would find it hard to dedicate a day to cleaning the car instead of spending time with him!

Dave..

RMS Regular
A non scientific opinion,
I had both our Mini`s coated by Pete, my JCW was (new) metallic and Christine`s (2014) was flat paint. I always thought the flat orange `popped` more than my metallic blue.
My car looked fantastic when it left Pete`s but after a few washes the deep gloss wasn`t as nice. Both cars were washed in the same place.
This is my observation and I am not having a go at ceramic coatings.

3 (2).jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Yes certain colour definitely pop more than others, in the same way a wax finish will vary from car to car too :grinning:

Depends on how it's washed too as certain soaps (wash and wax types for example) will clog the pours on a coating and give the impression it has dulled. Quick wash with a citrus degreaser sorts that out though :grinning:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
If anyone wants to really see what a coating can achieve with regards to finish, easy of washing and maintenance I’d urge them to watch some of Jim White’s work on YouTube. Lost many hours in his videos.

WhiteDetails

I'm the same. I really like his channel. Definitely a skilled man at his job. If you haven't already, watch the 190E he did. The owner didn't even want to drive it home

Reactions: DC.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Yes certain colour definitely pop more than others, in the same way a wax finish will vary from car to car too :grinning:

Depends on how it's washed too as certain soaps (wash and wax types for example) will clog the pours on a coating and give the impression it has dulled. Quick wash with a citrus degreaser sorts that out though :grinning:
I agree and you know how I got them washed :joy:. I didn`t take your advice and paid the price,...............:worried:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I personally prefer the wetness and depth from a good wax, I even find applying it therapeutic so it doesn't even bother me how regularly it needs done lol
I agree...…………..I went as far as buying a tin of Navi wax a few years ago but after using it a couple of times and finding that it was a pain in hole finding all the bits I had missed to polish off the first time I sold it.

It was probably twice as good for keeping the paint good over a good polish but I just like to polish the car, its easy, fast and cleans all the wee marks and tar off.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I agree...…………..I went as far as buying a tin of Navi wax a few years ago but after using it a couple of times and finding that it was a pain in hole finding all the bits I had missed to polish off the first time I sold it.

It was probably twice as good for keeping the paint good over a good polish but I just like to polish the car, its, easy, fast and cleans all the wee marks and tar off.

Probably used too much amigo. Navi literally spreads so far and it goes on thin. Takes abit of getting used too

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
To get some supercars back in here I'm going to cheat, but Edinburgh has some lovely metal floating about, managed to see 2 McLaren 720s' and 2 Huracan performantes, one of which I managed a snap of, lovely cars and so much presence! The DBS was also a welcome sight!

White Bull by Stuart Hanna, on Flickr

Fitting In. by Stuart Hanna, on Flickr

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Saw a Green GT3 RS this morning, it looked absolutely fantastic. No photo as was driving.