The Supercars In Northern Ireland!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Thats my sisters boys old R8. Bought an i8 in Protonic Blue as its replacement (y)

IMG-20161230-WA0010.jpg

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Not Northern Ireland I know but has anyone been following Shmee's Aston Martin Vantage GT8 purchase? Looks incredible and they even let him into the factory to sign and customise certain elements of his new car ... hes still a tosser but has great taste in cars!

I've Bought an Aston Martin Vantage GT8 | Shmee150

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Not Northern Ireland I know but has anyone been following Shmee's Aston Martin Vantage GT8 purchase? Looks incredible and they even let him into the factory to sign and customise certain elements of his new car ... hes still a tosser but has great taste in cars!

I've Bought an Aston Martin Vantage GT8 | Shmee150

Haven't watched his videos on it, but I saw the colour scheme he went for and the orange accents are hideous. It's proper Orange Order spec, Shmee1690

He did a good video over Xmas on his Dad's V12 Vantage, what a car that is!!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Haven't watched his videos on it, but I saw the colour scheme he went for and the orange accents are hideous. It's proper Orange Order spec, Shmee1690

He did a good video over Xmas on his Dad's V12 Vantage, what a car that is!!

Agreed its really lairy ... but he seems to be a bit tacky at heart lol

The blue colour on the GT8 was stunning though.

Love his FF though, compared to his other cars its quite reserved.

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Do E60 M5's count?

I saw a Mclaren near Antrim the other day. Although it was night time and only in passing so didn't get a good look at the spec (Think it was a 675 variant). It think it was Volcano Red.
I'm the biggest Mclaren fan out there and would have turned round to follow it if I could!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Do E60 M5's count?

I saw a Mclaren near Antrim the other day. Although it was night time and only in passing so didn't get a good look at the spec (Think it was a 675 variant). It think it was Volcano Red.
I'm the biggest Mclaren fan out there and would have turned round to follow it if I could!

I'm a big McLaren fan too.

Have a look at this though, doesn't make for good viewing if you had a McLaren outside of warranty!

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Have a look at this though, doesn't make for good viewing if you had a McLaren outside of warranty!

That's the cost of owning a supercar though. Not saying an M5 is regarding as much of a supercar, but I honestly know the true cost of maintaining a proper high performance car. To keep the M5 on the road for the next 3 years is probably going to cost me about £10'000 in repairs and general servicing. It is expected. I knew what i was getting into.
Put a true supercar brand on the badge and the cost will probably triple. Shmee150 has a good video about the cost of owning supercars on his youtube channel. It makes for cringe worthy watching.

With all that in mind though, if you can afford a supercar like a Mclaren, you can afford the warranty. trust me on that. My E60 costs £2350 a year for the warranty. I don't have this. I've had the car for 3 months and already spent £3000 on repairs and maintenance. Even though I like to do all my own mechanics, the warranties just cannot be beaten!

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
That's the cost of owning a supercar though. Not saying an M5 is regarding as much of a supercar, but I honestly know the true cost of maintaining a proper high performance car. To keep the M5 on the road for the next 3 years is probably going to cost me about £10'000 in repairs and general servicing. It is expected. I knew what i was getting into.
Put a true supercar brand on the badge and the cost will probably triple. Shmee150 has a good video about the cost of owning supercars on his youtube channel. It makes for cringe worthy watching.

With all that in mind though, if you can afford a supercar like a Mclaren, you can afford the warranty. trust me on that. My E60 costs £2350 a year for the warranty. I don't have this. I've had the car for 3 months and already spent £3000 on repairs and maintenance. Even though I like to do all my own mechanics, the warranties just cannot be beaten!
Jeez what needed repaired?

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
The previous owner claimed a trolley bumped into it in a car park. I took the front bumper off as it wasn't lined up properly and have found £2'000 worth of damage to all the plastics, headlights, wheel arches and the front chassis bar. I have replaced most of that so far but little things keep appearing. Just need a new headlight, wheel arch guards and bumper skin from BMW now and its all 100% fixed and original, although those parts alone cost £2000 and up. The headlight on its own is a whopping £954 from BMW!
The other thing was that as soon as I started to drive it back from Manchester I got 1 mile down the road and the dashboard turned into a disco full of warning lights. (It was genuinely running fine when i test drove it!). AA towed it back to NI for me and Country Garage replaced the throttle actuators at £1500.
Next on the list after the accident damage will be a flywheel and clutch replacement at £1500, complete service at £900-ish and then full brake replacement at another £1200. I have built up quite an amicable relationship with Country Garage shall we say!

Moral of the story, high end cars ARE NOT CHEAP!

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
The previous owner claimed a trolley bumped into it in a car park. I took the front bumper off as it wasn't lined up properly and have found £2'000 worth of damage to all the plastics, headlights, wheel arches and the front chassis bar. I have replaced most of that so far but little things keep appearing. Just need a new headlight, wheel arch guards and bumper skin from BMW now and its all 100% fixed and original, although those parts alone cost £2000 and up. The headlight on its own is a whopping £954 from BMW!
The other thing was that as soon as I started to drive it back from Manchester I got 1 mile down the road and the dashboard turned into a disco full of warning lights. (It was genuinely running fine when i test drove it!). AA towed it back to NI for me and Country Garage replaced the throttle actuators at £1500.
Next on the list after the accident damage will be a flywheel and clutch replacement at £1500, complete service at £900-ish and then full brake replacement at another £1200. I have built up quite an amicable relationship with Country Garage shall we say!

Moral of the story, high end cars ARE NOT CHEAP!

With all due respect, you have went about sorting the car, using a the most expensive route possible.

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
I disagree. These cars only hold their value, and in fact appreciate if they are looked after correctly. Therefore I only use genuine new BMW parts to keep it in good condition. With regards to having BMW fit various things, i would do it all myself if it was purely mechanical (like rebuilding the front end) however these cars have multiple ECU's and coding issues when you change electronics, and I do not have the electronics equipment at home to sort this stuff out myself. The car has apparently appreciated by £4k since i've owned it. So its making a good looking investment at the moment and an absolute hoot to drive.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Sounds like you were a bit wet behind the ears going in to that purchase, with the amount of E60's available there was surely one that didn't need thousands of pounds of remedial work carried out....unless it was a lot cheaper than the rest obviously.

The arse has fallen out of the E60 for the fact that they cost so much to keep on the road, so you need to be a huge fan of them to be able to swallow those bills to keep a £15-20k car on the road.

Last edited:

Jason

RMS Regular
Sounds like you were a bit wet behind the ears going in to that purchase, with the amount of E60's available there was surely one that didn't need thousands of pounds of remedial work carried out....unless it was a lot cheaper than the rest obviously.

The arse has fallen out of the E60 for the fact that they cost so much to keep on the road, so you need to be a huge fan of them to be able to swallow those bills to keep a £15-20k car on the road.

Very much so, i'll buy most things but doubt i'll EVER own an E60 M5, everyone I speak to who has owned one has a story about some big bills lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Love your choice of car @DavidY and have a bit of experience with them myself. If your warranty is that much am I right in saying you have passed the 60k milage threshold ? Personally as I have told so many on here before owning an E60 M5 without a BMW Mondial warranty is absolute madness IMO

As for appreciating 4k, unless the car as sub 20k miles it is not going to appreciate by any significant amount really and even then cars only appreciate when the market options become very thin on the ground. Supply & demand, its all about supply & demand.

About 4 years ago a Chinese business man bought up as many 22B Subaru's as he possibly could. 6/7 were lifted out of of Ireland, two of which I sourced, and I've no idea how many from the rest of Europe. The result is, fast forward 4 years and take out however many he secured leaving the overall numbers very much dwindled and today they are 70k plus for a good one and that is for a car that was limited to 424 units as opposed to the 20,458 E60 M5's that were built.

Don't get me wrong, I am a massive E60 M5 fan but spending a small fortune on a car that hasn't got other qualities making it collectable maybe isn't the best way to go about things.

Anyway, each to their own and if you are enjoying fixing the car up to your satisfaction then thats great and no one else's business really but just be sure you know completely what you are getting into

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
The car was cheap enough for the condition it is in LOL. The brakes and clutch aren't an issue, but I will be changing them before they become one. I knew it costs a lot to keep these cars in good condition, but that sort of stuff I enjoy doing so its not a problem. Expensive yes, but manageable. There weren't that many Interlagos Blue M5's up for sale when i was buying and I also wanted one with the Silverstone Leather interior. I would not have had one in any other spec. but yes, plenty more out there at the time of buying if I didn't have my preferences.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Very much so, i'll buy most things but doubt i'll EVER own an E60 M5, everyone I speak to who has owned one has a story about some big bills lol
12.5K here in two years and it was 6 months old when I bought mine. Still a fully awesome car, I actually went to try and find another about a year ago but gave up as I couldn't find a good enough one.