The Ultimate X - Fiat X1/9

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Would the fiat coupe light units work? Two projectors with a moulded perspex cover.
Might not be the right external shape but the inner chassis and light units might work / be useful.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Chevette headlight pods where popular rally conversions on the TR7's as a fixed unit, probably equally sh*te by todays standards!

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
I really wasn't happy with the first version so I had to make a second version mounting the lamps completely inside the body.
Here is the nearside pair first successful dry assembly -
IMG20230317172650.jpg
IMG20230317172402.jpg
IMG20230317172454.jpg

I will have to make a clear acrylic outer lens that is flush with the aperture, on the front part and a top which will be aluminium...
IMG20230317172430.jpg
I now have to copy this version to the other side...
IMG20230317172419.jpg
l will then break everything down for painting before final assembly and post detail shots idc.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
I decided to delete the pop ups for various reasons -

Save weight
Reduce complexity
Increase brightness
Reduce drag

A problem with pop ups is the nacelle is open to the outside, I guess some designs have a rudimentary seal but on the X1/9 there's also a water gutter across the top of the nose cone and along the tops of the wings.

The gutter drains into the lower front corners, pours down over the wiring loom and horns, and out through a hole in the valence.

I plan to fill the gutter completely the bonnet panel gap shadow line will be a black flush seal in other words.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Version 3 of the headlamp installation is shaping up...
I installed them as per the previous post and then uninstalled them (again) before making the closing pieces for the top and sides -
IMG20230402202803.jpg
img20230402202843-jpg.393185
IMG20230402202923.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230402202843.jpg
    IMG20230402202843.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 268

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Installed the projectors successfully within the reduced space, and I'm puzzling out the design of the outer lens.

Originally I imagined a single piece of moulded acrylic and so first I made a blank out of 1mm aluminium thinking it would be used as the top side of the mould...
IMG20230410210845.jpg
but when I fitted it to the car it looked so neat I thought it would be nice to have a pair of these at least to protect the lamps during daytime running or just for show.

So I made a duplicate using a transparent template, which shows how two circles form compound curves off the side elevation above and below the plimsoll line...
IMG20230407130726.jpg
... from which I could just about derive the shape of the cutouts by eye but its very difficult to mark the line accuracy , the end result is not exactly right but it does illustrate the idea...
IMG_20230410_212548.jpg
same angle zoomed out:
IMG20230410161420.jpg
more oblique angle:
IMG20230410161433.jpg
this gives a good impression of how the front will look like when the car's finished, I think, despite the fact this view is from the perspective of a cat or small dog and unless you were lying in the street you would never see it like this.

I have tested the lamps and the peripheral occlusion of the beams caused by the "frame" is negligible 👍.

Therefore I plan to try and bond a sheet of 1mm clear acrylic to the outside face, covering the entire piece, which will cancel the step change caused by the top edge going under the back section of the cover, which returns through 2 angles finishing the corner section of the water gutter running in the top of the wing and across the nose cone, in the bottom left hand corner of this pic:
IMG20230410161841.jpg
In terms of finishes, I will have all the pieces anodised first, externally the back and front pieces logically should be the body colour apart from the rolled edge and lip detail along the bottom edge that divides the headlamp section from the indicator sidelight section, which is interested because it could be the body colour and make the division obvious, or it could be black as per the rest of the factory dechromed parts, or polished and clear lacquered... details details.

The aluminium lens frame, could be polished and left unfinished if I use Stix-All glazing silicone and trap no bubbles but more likely I will just mask off the ovals and spray the rest red.

Anyway, I'm going to make 2 pairs of interchangeable pieces, one with cutouts for the lamps and one without.

FTW😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's a lot of work, coming together nicely. All in the detail like you say. I wouldn't even know where to start doing something like that from scratch.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Thank you Sven.
I think it boils down to patience plus the desire to realise a concept.

This is: a pair of lamps and a car body shell neither of which can be modified beyond a certain point.

I did literally saw through the lamps and saw through the bodywork to get them to fit and I probably took off a bit more than I needed to haha but not too much know what I mean 😂

I built the first prototype based on adjusting the beams from the front only, before I worked out the adjusters could be reversed they are designed to be adjusted from the front or the back, on the dip beam but on the spot beam I had to cut one end off the bolt, works fine.

The second prototype had ports in the rear plate just in case I could get on to the adjusters from the back, ie through the headlamp access panel in the top of the inner front wing.

Very luckily I was able to get on to all the adjusters this way, just as well because with all the necessary plates, rails, brackets etc that form the top and sides and floor of the unit (fully built up except for the outer lens), meant that I could not install or uninstall the lamps in the planned, correct sequence from the top with the lid off.

That's what happens when things go badly wrong and I nearly gave up on the whole idea right away.

Slept on it, woke up thinking it might be possible to change the assembly sequence so that the adjuster plates are installed on the base plate without the lamps, first, then the lamps are fitted from the front by screwing them on from the back, through the ports.

So then I had to do a complete disassembly and reassembly, and to my surprise it actually worked.

That's really a short version of the last four months of fiddling about, haha

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Internal view looking down through the headlamp access panel, showing the back wall of the box, parts of the adjuster rings, and the base plate.
The box is "L" shaped, hangs from the access panel frame at the top and is fixed down to the ledge above the indicator sidelight, at the front.
IMG20230411093336.jpg

At the top, there is a tension/compression rail for the adjustable tie rods that lock the tops of the rings in position but allow for some coarse up down adjustment of the beam angles
IMG20230411093258.jpg
The tie rods go through the rings like this
IMG20230411093221.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Seems I have missed this project thread up until now. But will be following from now on.

Looks like an interesting project and you seem to be doing a great job. Didn't have as much of a read through it as I would have liked because I don't have the time but what I did see looked great.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Mock ups f
Seems I have missed this project thread up until now. But will be following from now on.

Looks like an interesting project and you seem to be doing a great job. Didn't have as much of a read through it as I would have liked because I don't have the time but what I did see looked great.
Thank you, the car should be finished in a year or two, still to do is the floor area under the frunk, front wheel arches, front suspension, windscreen, headlamps, number plate brackets... before filling the cooling and hydraulic systems and starting the engine for the first time.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thank you, the car should be finished in a year or two, still to do is the floor area under the frunk, front wheel arches, front suspension, windscreen, headlamps, number plate brackets... before filling the cooling and hydraulic systems and starting the engine for the first time.
Good things worth dong take time. (y)

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
IMG20230507192846.jpg
a
This is the view looking towards the front right corner of the car, from the inside of the nacelle.

To repair the bodywork properly would mean cutting off the entire outer wing back to the A pillar, cutting out the headlamp access frame, cutting out the headlamp motor support bracket and welding in new panels.

In fact, when I bought the car it was in a mess in this area.

I noticed the right side headlight was wobbly like it was loose.

I assumed it was play in the hinges or mechanism or in the adjusters or in the bowl mounts, I went through the whole lot even replaced all the diodes.

Made no difference, still really wobbly.

Close inspection revealed, when switching on the lights the whole front part of the wing was visibly moving down as the pod went up!

Grabbing the pod and wrenching it around, revealed the whole area was only just holding together.

I fired a bolt thru the corner, used it with 4 nuts like an adjustable length tie rod, to pull /push it back together.

The front right corner of the access frame was bent down slightly, and the support bar bent up slightly, during this process.

This unfortunately meant that the top pair of adjusters were in line with the front of the access frame, meaning they could not be adjusted from above or below the frame.

It took a lot of trial and error to find a way through but I found a line just above the water gutter...
IMG20230507141847.jpg
IMG20230507142238.jpg
IMG20230507142316.jpg
IMG20230507142142.jpg

So in total there are 8 adjusters accessible through the back...
IMG20230507142527.jpg
IMG20230507142615.jpg

IMG20230507141619.jpg
IMG20230507141525.jpg
IMG20230507141447.jpg
IMG20230430175710.jpg
IMG20230506171655.jpg
IMG20230506103215.jpg
IMG20230506171513.jpg
IMG_20230507_205519.jpg
IMG20230506102929.jpg
IMG20230506102435.jpg
IMG20230506102658.jpg

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
First test of the daytime running lights...
IMG20230507214048.jpg

It's difficult to gauge the brightness, this is taken at dusk and is totally, 4 x 10W one pair of white LEDs and one pair of "retro" effect which are more yellow, quite nice.

Mixing the two, seems to create a better overall balance I guess on account of increasing the spectrum, or bandwidth or whatever it's called🤔
IMG20230507214026.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Making good progress.

Would love to see this when finished.