The Ultimate X - Fiat X1/9

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Two other fast X1/9's with talented drivers were recently brought to my attention via YouTube.

Christian Darini
Gianluca Ticci

I thoroughly recommend

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
When I started this project I called it the ultimate X.
I think this car driven by Ticci in the last video, probably IS the ultimate in terms of out and out performance.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
IMG20230814200110.jpg

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
That's looking really good. Wide range of skills to learn

Yes indeed, fun and games!
I'm kind of fixated on this particular X1/9 at the moment to be honest it looks untouchable in it's class at the moment and I'm glad to see someone younger than myself behind the wheel πŸ™‚

Vincenzi

I've got two other X1/9's for sale - both are sound project cars with good provenance. One was dry-stored 23yrs, shell is grade A1 - never rusted, never welded. The other barn-stored 18 years, shell is grade B1, needs a little welding, timewarp interior.
I ALSO KNOW OF A STALLED REPLICA DALLARA BUILD FOR SALE - please can somebody buy this car asap and get a racecar build underway ??? I know where to get all the parts to finish it, more or less.
View attachment 250090View attachment 250091
Where can I find this replica Dallara stalled build? Not sure if I'm too late to the party considering the date on this. Please DM me if you have any info.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
I sent all the aluminium parts to be anodised, I wanted something non reflective so I chose satin black for everything.
I installed the nearside pair no issues apart from the outer lens isn't quite correct I need to make a better one.
I hope the beam adjustments required, will be within the available ranges.
If not, I will have to move the position of the lamp mounts on the base plate.
IMG20231007165307.jpg
IMG20231007165333.jpg
IMG20231007165410.jpg
IMG20231007162953.jpg
IMG20231009090406.jpg

IMG20231009090434.jpg
IMG20231009090355.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice work there, looks great, Will the front cover be watertight enough? Any moisture at all that gets in will cause it to steam up.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Cheers.
Nice work there, looks great, Will the front cover be watertight enough? Any moisture at all that gets in will cause it to steam up.
I think it won't be completely watertight and will steam up like you say.
If I was taking the car out for a trip, I would tape over the water gutter around the bonnet as a matter of course including around the headlamps.
It's a fault in the original design, having the gutter draining into the horn nacelles.
Ditto the engine deck, which drains through the engine compartment.
The problem was I couldn't box the lamps completely because there was insufficient available width.
Normally the whole thing would be a sealed unit and installed as such.

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Yesterday I tested all the connections to the lamps no issues.
The outer lenses could be better but are not bad for the first attempt and I will probably improve the mould and make some better ones idc possibly from 2 not 3 mm sheet.
I'm not sure if the beams can be adjusted to pass the MoT, my gut feeling is fingers crossed πŸ˜„.
After they are finally adjusted I might make some internal bezels to close off the voids from the front view, probably would make the overall appearance more 'factory'.
Didn't realize until just now, I passed a milestone yesterday with the lamp test, in that the electrical system is completely finished βœ…
I've said this before, but the water gutter around the bonnet is designed to drain in to the horn nacelles, over the wiring loom and the horn, before exiting through the underside of the front valence πŸ˜–
The thinking must have been - it doesn't matter because pop-ups etc.
The scuttle is gutter also but it's deep and has drainage pipes brazed in to it running through the bulkhead exiting through the sills, works ok so long as you park on the level and the pipes aren't blocked πŸ˜–
The only thing I can think of doing is to tape off the gutter around the bonnet completely, ever time I think it might rain... after I've put the roof on, before it starts to rain πŸ˜–
Cabin ventilation and demist is also inadequate compared to modern standards, driving these cars when it's wet and cold.
Frameless doors mean that sidescreens like on the Ritmo 130TC Abarth cannot be fitted.
At the end of the day it's not a saloon car it's a 2 seat targa top and the reason why they almost all rusted out was because they were daily driven you could say they aren't good daily drivers on that basis.
I shudder to imagine being in an X1/9 in bad traffic jam.
I got an '04 Focus for those πŸ‘
So the next stage begins soon, the restoration of the remaining front floor, front wheel arches, and building the front suspension and getting her on her wheels and firing her up for the first time.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Surely you could add drainage tubes where the bonnet drains to?

I guess you are not in a rush to finish this so you can just take your time and slowly but surely work through everything?

Mark Bowden

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Bowden
Surely you could add drainage tubes where the bonnet drains to?

I guess you are not in a rush to finish this so you can just take your time and slowly but surely work through everything?
Yeah I'm not really sure πŸ˜‚
It's a slow process, I've been working on paid jobs this year mostly, and doing the lights in between.
It's not ideal to do the next phase during the winter, ideally it would be better in the spring but it's going to be physically very uncomfortable either way, working with the car in that (fixed) position.
Parts wise I only need a new set of tyres.
Services wise I need a 4 wheel alignment and a rolling road.
Still can't decide whether to refit the original passenger seat at zero cost or to get another Tillett for something like 1600GBPπŸ˜–
Yeah I should think this through.
If I had a gf who wanted a seat I would get her one.
If she doesn't want to get in or can't get in physically then I will presumably be selling the car πŸ€”
Actually I've thought it through.
I'm going to save up for another Tillett, which will test the width, height, agility, strength and weight of any potentials, almost all of whom will be put off.
Trust me I know what I'm doing πŸ˜‚