The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
That's the one. I've a romanticised idea in my head now of getting it to 300k, so a good bit of effort has gone in to niggle fixing and preventive maintenance. Seemed a same to start taking apart such a character of a car while it only had minor problems.

Once I've the CCV system bought it'll be out on the road again.

Here she is looking a bit sorry for herself while I work on it

e46_1.jpg

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
My drivers side window regulator has give up the ghost which I understand Is quite a common thing on these? Anyone done one? Any tips? Where's the best place to pick one up?

colin84

RMS Regular
My drivers side window regulator has give up the ghost which I understand Is quite a common thing on these? Anyone done one? Any tips? Where's the best place to pick one up?

I've bought plenty from ebay and they have been grand, and cheaper than anywhere else.

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Cheers guys I must've done alright then cos I've had the car 7 years and this is the first it has messed about.

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
I see you can buy the regulator on its own or with a new motor as well. Is it worth changing the whole lot?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Well yesterday I found out exactly wtf is wrong with mine now.

Cylinder 3 rings are away.

Totally fed up with cars at the minute

'96dc2

RMS Regular
2 window regulators away.. eBay or will any motorfactors be able or order them in?

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
yeah theyre not too bad. the biggest pain in the a$$ is getting the vapour barrier off in one piece.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
It's about time I joined in on this :sob:

Picked up a 330ci a while back and wasn't sure what to do with it, I had planned break it for bits for the e36 as well as use the internals to build a stroker m50/2 engine with it. But it didn't seem like it needed much to throw it through MOT so I've decided to do that and daily it for a while.

Fault list:
  • Ex.manifold has separated at the weld around the car on the 2nd bank (replaced both manifolds and threw on some new BMW gaskets as I don't want to have to do that job again)
  • Play in outer tie rod (stupid outer is froze on the inner so that has to go to now too :sob:)
  • LPG system needs renewed, injector lines had come apart, feed line was badly rubbed due to poor placement (have replaced the feed line with poly and tucked it away so it's no going to rub on the ground, and started to renew all the injector piping, as well as better routing of the system for cosmetic purposes)
  • Rear arches need rolled
  • Secondary air intake boot is split (replacement is here and will be fitted once I finished the CCV)
  • A host of vaccum lines need replaced, well they'd probably do but I've a reel of 3 and 3.5mm vac line here (replacement reel there and will be fitted once I finished the CCV)
  • stupid ccv diaphragm is beginning to fail (need advice on this)

Actual doesn't seem as bad now I type it out. As said before these cars will keep running even with issues but I hate niggles and they only really cost me time, plus the car was cheap. I want to daily this hence the effort to get it spot on

CCV is the last to sort, and from what I read it's only worth considering the OEM parts, but I'd like to know if any one has any experience of the CCVs from Meyle, febi etc?

She's alive again.....

All of the above issues sorted and a few more things renewed and sorted that I found once I got deeper into the engine. Oil filter housing gasket being one and the vac line to the fuel reg was non existent. Fresh oil, filter and her favourite oil stabiliser for good measure

Looks like it sitting with its nose up in the air for so long while waiting on parts has caused a leak to develop at the back of the Valve cover gasket as some smoke is coming up from that area once the car gets hot. I've renewed every other gasket thus far so might as well do that too now before it goes into daily duties.

Parking sensors have stopped working, probably need reset or have lost they're adaptation as the battery was un hooked for so long, thoughts?? And passenger wing mirror isn't moving now

Other than that she is running like clock work and pulls like a champ. No codes being thrown in INPA and will get the Vanos tested in DIS when I'm back down home again. To say I'm excited to get this on the road and put some more miles on it is an understatement

IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG

Last edited:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Can i buy it back please?

The sensors and mirror always worked for me and hadn't been disconnected, however it doesn't like to be washed, every time it was washed it took the huff and broke something small in objection.

It was always a very good going car, better than any other 330 id been in, I always put it down to the fuel injectors being fresher as the lpg took the burden of use.

It liked to be dirty, and still looked awesome ❤️
IMG_6909.JPG