The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I do, but I like the facelift and they're outta my budget I think.

Tbf, that 330i is the cheapest lci touring on the autotrader.

Plus I've read about some of the issues you've had, put me off a bit!.Am I right in saying the 335 is a twin turbo 6 pot, bound to be a fit going article.
There's common things that go, and they will go, I've had 12k miles trouble free since I had the usual issues. And yes it goes rightly. Not horrendous on fuel unless you want it to be of course. 330is are defo rare though I did look but then a manual 335 touring pitched up so went for it. Now a manual 335 touring is a rare thing. Only 70 odd in U.K.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Lads anyone suffering from the gear lever not returning to "zero". Makes 3rd difficult to find sometimes.
Reason for it is the wee return springs within the gearbox seize up and quit working. They are a £5 part but a gearbox out job to get at (not something I fancy tbh).
Thinking outside the box (no pun intended) has anyone tried to rig up a spring system near the gear lever to get around this problem?

Would it be a bit drastic/ rash to cut an inspection hole in the transmission tunnel to gain access to the part rather than dropping the box?

EDIT; Just realising it would be right under the dash to access it with the box still on.

Last edited:

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CB500f
I've Just had a second recall letter. It's for the drivers airbag now. Anyone else had theirs? After my last experience with Bavarian Boucher I'm having my doubts about going there.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Problems this week;
Dsc/abs lights keep coming on (probably wheel speed sensor)
Way over reading speedo??? Any ideas? Don't think it takes its reading from the wheel speed sensors.....

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Speedo takes its reading from.one of the rear sensors. Can't remember which one it is.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I am in the boat of E46 owners with issues!

150k E46 330D M Sport Auto

Great car for the past year while ive owned it, flew through the MOT recently and never skipped a beat. Took it to the shops the other day, came back an hour later and it wouldn't start for love nor money, fuel pump making its normal noises, cranking over fine but just won't ignite (or even try for that matter). Checked the basic things, fuel pump relays, even used a different key thinking it might have somehow immobilised, tried some easy start and it started no issues, drives 100% on full power when started.

I took it to the petrol station, filled it to the throat with Vpower and put a diesel cleaner through it, it started for a while okay again but soon got back to its old tricks. Now it just refuses to start any time unless I use easy start which couldn't be too good for it.

I have bought an injector leak down testing kit, it will arrive during the week to test if the injectors are leaking too much, but other than the injectors what could it be? Surely the car would not drive as well as it does if it was a fuel pump?

Any help appreciated.

colin84

RMS Regular

Great car for the past year while ive owned it, flew through the MOT recently and never skipped a beat. Took it to the shops the other day, came back an hour later and it wouldn't start for love nor money, fuel pump making its normal noises, cranking over fine but just won't ignite (or even try for that matter). Checked the basic things, fuel pump relays, even used a different key thinking it might have somehow immobilised, tried some easy start and it started no issues, drives 100% on full power when started.

I took it to the petrol station, filled it to the throat with Vpower and put a diesel cleaner through it, it started for a while okay again but soon got back to its old tricks. Now it just refuses to start any time unless I use easy start which couldn't be too good for it.

I have bought an injector leak down testing kit, it will arrive during the week to test if the injectors are leaking too much, but other than the injectors what could it be? Surely the car would not drive as well as it does if it was a fuel pump?

Any help appreciated.

Fuel pump breaking down, or perished fuel lines letting air in?

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Fuel pump breaking down, or perished fuel lines letting air in?

Surely if that was the case it wouldn't run as well as it does? Done an 8 hour round trip in it last week without an issue, full power, no warning lights, nothing.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d

Any help appreciated.

I have INPA I can check the car for faults if you want.
It would probably be the weekend before I could though as I'm away for work.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I have INPA I can check the car for faults if you want.
It would probably be the weekend before I could though as I'm away for work.

Thanks for the offer mate, however I'm over in England with it, il maybe buy an INPA lead if this fuel pump doesn't sort it.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I swapped the rear tyres to opposite sides?
Could that have thrown the speedo out as its only showing a fault on the passenger rear sensor.

Oh, and I need a clutch as well :-#(n):confounded:

My bad... I just double checked that and yes it's the passenger side one, at least your scan makes sense now. Clutch... at least they're fairly easy to access in these

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5

Any help appreciated.

Just in case anyone else experiences this in the future. A new fuel pump under the passenger side fixed this, starts perfect now. New one was £30 on eBay and my luxury £1200 330d lives to see another year.

colin84

RMS Regular
Just in case anyone else experiences this in the future. A new fuel pump under the passenger side fixed this, starts perfect now. New one was £30 on eBay and my luxury £1200 330d lives to see another year.

That was handy, although I fitted an eBay fuel pump to my 320d and it didn't last long before it quit, maybe less than a month. But at least you know the score with it.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
That was handy, although I fitted an eBay fuel pump to my 320d and it didn't last long before it quit, maybe less than a month. But at least you know the score with it.

Il keep that in mind Colin thanks, maybe keep an eye for a genuine one for the future.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
It'll probably be the under floor one failing again. Genuine one is the only way. See that all the time.

If you are worried about the hp pump, and it's not a bad idea to check it anyway, carefully monitor your oil sump level for a couple of days and see if it's getting higher. When the seal fails it leaks down into the oil, causing an airlock causing hard to start syndrome.
Also listen to the in tank pump under the back seat to make sure it's priming. Under floor pumps failing is sometimes a sign of impending in tank pump failure.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
It'll probably be the under floor one failing again. Genuine one is the only way. See that all the time.

If you are worried about the hp pump, and it's not a bad idea to check it anyway, carefully monitor your oil sump level for a couple of days and see if it's getting higher. When the seal fails it leaks down into the oil, causing an airlock causing hard to start syndrome.
Also listen to the in tank pump under the back seat to make sure it's priming. Under floor pumps failing is sometimes a sign of impending in tank pump failure.

Tank pump went in mine .... thank God it wasnt the HP pump as its an engine out job I think??