Ticking from Zetec engine

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dermot

rsnutter said:
oh and i dont think zetecs have hydraulic tappets? i heard they have solid lifters?

Could Have... Never had one apart... If they have then Hydralic Tappet Treatment work work :laughing: ...lol

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Nah it aint the clutch, Ive checked..

Focus Zetecs use Hydraulic tappets as far as I know, there was a bit of a debate on the FFOC site but a dude with the ford software cd said it quoted they use hydraulic ones, and my dealer said this too..

Whats this hydraulic tappet treatment you talk of dermott?

A lad told me to keep her revving at about 3000rpm for 5 minutes in neutral and that may get rid of the noise, get the air out of the system?

S_Gault

RMS Regular
so much bollocks,...

early ones had hydralic tappets, later ones where solid.

They can fail and then get noisey.. just take it to someone with some experience and they'll tell you straight.

Steven

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
S_Gault said:
so much bollocks,...

early ones had hydralic tappets, later ones where solid.

They can fail and then get noisey.. just take it to someone with some experience and they'll tell you straight.

Steven

Senior Ford Mechanic said:
"Forget about it til it gets worse"

Its still pretty intermittant so I dunno what it is..Doesnt matter if engines warm or cold!

Dermot

scrob said:
Nah it aint the clutch, Ive checked..

Focus Zetecs use Hydraulic tappets as far as I know, there was a bit of a debate on the FFOC site but a dude with the ford software cd said it quoted they use hydraulic ones, and my dealer said this too..

Whats this hydraulic tappet treatment you talk of dermott?

A lad told me to keep her revving at about 3000rpm for 5 minutes in neutral and that may get rid of the noise, get the air out of the system?

Was Stuff Fast_CAV introduced me too... 2.0 16V cavs suffer from Noisey (And I mean very noisey tappets, When you start them from cold you run away expecting something to blow up)
Its about £5 to buy, its just stuff you mix with your oil... Just put it in and it mix's into the oil, and whatever it does it shuts noisey tappets up... I Use it on every car I service with Noisey tappets now, Only thing is though, you'll have to put in new stuff every oil change... If its tappets it will cure it ... Worth a try for a fiver surely?

You get it from any Motor factors.. Comes in a small bottle About 250-270ML

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Cool, is there a name for it or is it just known as hydraulic tappet treatment?

Dermot

scrob said:
Cool, is there a name for it or is it just known as hydraulic tappet treatment?

Naw thats the name of it... Made by different people, But i'd say its all the same stuff.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
just flog the car and buy a diesel then there will be so many rattles you wont know weither there good or bad :grinning:

Cormac

RMS Regular
Wouldnt be in a ford if they didnt tick!! Nxt time ur back in Derry take it to Desmonds see what they think, maybe be slightly expensive tho, See if u can get chatting to Brian Donaghy(barney) im sure u no him from about town, he worked in Brown&Days in claudy for a few years im sure he could shed some light on the problem.

Cormac

buff

RMS Regular
Drives
Jimny
bigrichybyrne said:
wud this miracle juice work on my rat of a car? (1.1 fez btw)

dont think they use hydraulic tappets????, there a guide on Fiestaturbo.com about stopping rattles on the 1.1/ 1.3 engines

something along the lines off you take out the rocker shaft, give the rocker to valve contact surface a file down to remove the indention, re-install and set the clearances.

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=62484

Dermot

buff said:
bigrichybyrne said:
wud this miracle juice work on my rat of a car? (1.1 fez btw)

dont think they use hydraulic tappets????, there a guide on Fiestaturbo.com about stopping rattles on the 1.1/ 1.3 engines

something along the lines off you take out the rocker shaft, give the rocker to valve contact surface a file down to remove the indention, re-install and set the clearances.

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=62484

Or Just reset the tappet clearence might cure it if it hasnt got Big miles on it..

rsnutter

R
my tappets are only heard for about 1 second when starting from cold apart from that they dont make any noise at all. can you not better to just get the tappets reset when they become noisy? and if that doesnt cure it, buy new kit!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.