Top Gear Returns Tonight - 30th October 2022

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The writing has been on the wall for some time now hasn't it? It's all moved online of late. The Freddie thing was just the final nail. Modern top gear never really was something that really "fit" into BBC any more, was it?

Sad, but those are the times I guess. YouTube it is now.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Any betting that Clarkson and Andy Wilman will buy the name again?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
The whole show reminded me of the days when a media star was stuck in the sweeper car in moto gp, they never tended to complete the lap prior to the race as they were stuck in the gravel trap somewhere. You tube is wgere its at these days. Chris harris can really steer a car. The 11k titanium porche is a belter segment

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
The comment about Top Gear not really fitting the current ethos of the BBC is bang on the money imo. The beeb has gone full woke in the last few years, and a program which fully embraces (and is seemingly proud of) its laddish antics does not really conform to that agenda.

I think they also need proper motoring presenters, not tv presenters who have a passing interest in cars. Of the last 3, Harris was the only one with a background in automotive journalism and media and it really showed. He was also (for me anyway) the only one worth watching.

It also doesn’t help that Top Gear didn’t have a huge amount of competition years ago when it was in its prime, but nowadays you can find high quality motoring content in 4k in just a few clicks anytime you want. Some of the stuff on YouTube is superb.

What Top Gear still has going for it is its name. That means it can get exclusives, it can get major celebs on as guests, and it can get doors open within certain car manufacturers that the average YouTuber can’t. That’s the areas they need to exploit going forward, not trying to compete with the thousands of other content creators over ridiculous motoring stunts.

Last edited:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
You're not suggesting that something in The Mirror was untrue, are you? 🤔

"A decision on the timing of future Top Gear shows will be made in due course with BBC Content."

They haven't said they aren't cancelling it.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Last few series were hard to watch, always liked Chris in everything he did but that other pair were great on their own shows but just didn’t fit the top gear role well
But presenters aside it was just awful. Like everything it’s just ran it’s natural course until channel 5 buy it 😂

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone like Matt Watson buying it, him Yanni and somebody could probably make a good go of it, actual car heads with a huge online following and he already reviews some crazy cars.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
For me, I’d love to see Chris Harris and Guy Martin as the main presenters, and then have some recurring petrolhead presenters/personalities - Steve Coogan, Rowan Atkinson, Tiff Needell, Jay Kay, etc

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Issue with alex is as soon as he reads something scripted he sounds like a robot, “carvertical” etc etc lol

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Yeah he's very good. Appreciates a s**tbox unlike all the other bores. His Auto Alex show is great with Taylor Hetherington.
Their podcast is brilliant and some of their episodes together have had tears running down my face before
Issue with alex is as soon as he reads something scripted he sounds like a robot, “carvertical” etc etc lol
But listen to any of them they all sound exactly the same with those adverts

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
But listen to any of them they all sound exactly the same with those adverts
I think thats why its so hard to get someone decent for top gear, car guys can chat all day about cars but ask them to do scripted and most cant do it.

Do like his channel though tbf, shame Jack and Ethan didn’t go with him. Carthrottle still do decent videos but feels an afterthought.