Trackskills Track Day Sunday 19th April - Afterthoughts

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
To someone that's never been to a trackskills day before.
What do I need to do to enter one?
What requirements to I need bar the helmet?
Are there noise restrictions? if so, what?

How much track time would you expect to get?
Are your laps recorded or is that up to you to do so?

How many are let out on the track at a time?
I assume track day insurance will be needed? Anywhere that does this as a single policy?

The insurance bit might be the killer here for me.
Anyone want to offer a passenger run sometime?

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Well if the last one is anything to go by, the next one is surely worth waiting for :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Laps aren't timed Andy, that's up to you. Same with insurance - I never bothered, but it's a risk. You'll get more than enough driving time.

Would love to get to one or two this year myself.

PhilM

RMS Regular
Laps aren't timed Andy, that's up to you. Same with insurance - I never bothered, but it's a risk. You'll get more than enough driving time.

Would love to get to one or two this year myself.

That all sounds good and thanks @Andy044 for the list of queries a lot of those i wanted to ask myself.

quick query from me, im uber backward and have commitments on a sunday, are these trackdays ever ran on a saturday?

phil

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
@Andy044:
http://reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/trackday-basics.55789/ :innocent:

In short, you will be fine, just do it :grinning:

@PhilM, sorry, trackdays are strictly for heathens :p

The Kirkistown ones are always on Sundays. Saturday is race day for the track.

At Mondello they are usually on Fridays, the next OTD is tomorrow as it happens. Also Mondello have their own trackdays on most bank holidays, the next one is on Monday. Try to post up the Mondello ones here, as they get announced:
http://reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/mondello-trackdays-2015.176313/

PhilM

RMS Regular
@Andy044:
http://reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/trackday-basics.55789/ :innocent:

In short, you will be fine, just do it :grinning:

@PhilM, sorry, trackdays are strictly for heathens :p

The Kirkistown ones are always on Sundays. Saturday is race day for the track.

At Mondello they are usually on Fridays, the next OTD is tomorrow as it happens. Also Mondello have their own trackdays on most bank holidays, the next one is on Monday. Try to post up the Mondello ones here, as they get announced:
http://reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/mondello-trackdays-2015.176313/

anyone ever head down to mondello ones?

Maybe id be better to get something organised mid week at kirkistown, hire the track for some testing and a few laps.

i look into it.

Phil

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I would be at Mondello for pretty much all the OTD events I can manage. Best days by far down there. Occasionally I might elbow in on the odd club day as well, like the Porsche Club Ireland. Keep an eye in the link above.

Private test time at Kirkistown can be hard to get, but sure give it a go and see what they say. Best option really is to come down to a trackskills day. They really only get started around 12 these days anyway, so as not to disturb various congregations nearby. Have a chat with Donal and explain your situation, maybe he can still accommodate you.

Reactions: V8

V8

RMS Regular
What do I need to do to enter one?

Send an email to donal@mulsanne.co.uk with details of yourself and your car.

What requirements to I need bar the helmet?

In theory, long sleeves. However, we would rather people were not collapsing with the heat!

Are there noise restrictions? if so, what?

98dB at half a meter from exhaust at 45º at 4500 revs.

How much track time would you expect to get?

How much petrol are you prepared to use?

Are your laps recorded or is that up to you to do so?

We do not time anyone.

How many are let out on the track at a time?

I assume track day insurance will be needed? Anywhere that does this as a single policy?

logo-needtoinsure.png
These are the people that we at Trackskills recommend. Please call them on 01623 720081 and tell them we sent you.

quick query from me, im uber backward and have commitments on a sunday, are these trackdays ever ran on a saturday?

Sorry, Phil. We did try Saturdays years ago but they just didn't work for us.

PhilM

RMS Regular
Sorry, Phil. We did try Saturdays years ago but they just didn't work for us.

not to worry! getting my car fit for a track day of any sort will be a mission, so ill concentrate on that in the meantime, and worry about trackdays/sprints etc thereafter.

Phil

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Here is the first video of me giving chase to the rapid Ferrari. Please bear in mind this was the first time in the car this 7 months an I really didn't want to get to close to that car incase I ran into the back of him :grinning:

Was surprised to see how close I did get to @svensktoppen thou lol..

Also at 10.20 I think debtors is flat in 6th gear, notice the big drop in engine revs :worried:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
That is great footage @evo98
Flat out as per usual (y).

It is only when against your car down the straights do you realise how fast the ferrari is actually going, it never looked that quick when on its own and nothing to compare it against. I got some videos of you on my phone going through the chicane, motor sounds great

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Collyirwin i was the same, once i seen the ferrari going down the straight i thought it didnt look that quick! I think sound has alot to do with it as that Ferrari (i think) races in england which has stricter noise restrictions than us. My car sounds like a rocket of a thing because its so loud. Everyone comes over to me all the time asking wtf is under the bonnet of that thing lol :grinning:

That ferrari id say would do kirkistown in under a minute if it wanted too :grinning:. Id love a sequential box now with custom gear ratios! Reckon it would be worth 2-3 seconds round there

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
The Ferrari owner claims he can lap in well under 1 min , but @evo98 looks quicker doing 1min 4 ish , the 458 has serious grunt on the straights and still can take debtors flat .

Agree. Sure look at the work im doing an the twitching my car does compared to that machine! Wonder would he let me drive it? Lol. :grinning:

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Is there any tolerance when it comes to noise levels?

98db seems a bit low for my car lol

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
If you're car is louder than mine it must have no exhaust on it. Mine passes all the noise tests for races sprints etc.

Think they test them at 3000 rpm or something, sure my own car has over another 6000 rpm to go lol. Good job they dont teat them at high revs cause id say mine would be a fail

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
If you're car is louder than mine it must have no exhaust on it. Mine passes all the noise tests for races sprints etc.

Think they test them at 3000 rpm or something, sure my own car has over another 6000 rpm to go lol. Good job they dont teat them at high revs cause id say mine would be a fail

Don't know, it's pretty loud tony lol

Do you know how loud 98dB actually is? Same test as rally cars, etc.

If your car is louder than that then you need to get a grip, you anti-social lout :p

It's 2.75" from turbo back. Need to have the big exhaust to get the horses from it:p

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There are already a few turbo/supercharged stripped out race EP3 cars, with straight through exhausts and all the rest of it.

Never mind the anti-lag rally cars.

Sorry to bust an ego, but you will not be louder than them :p :innocent:

I can only recall one car having issues with noise, and that was a mad crazy million bhp Evo, with anti-lag and screamer pipes and straight exhaust and the whole shebang. And from memory, it was the screamer bit that raised a few eye brows (or burst a few ear drums, lol). Was like a flipping fighter jet on full afterburner going down the straights.

98dB static is a lot, nobody "needs" to be louder than that.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.