Traded One Connect For Another

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
See, everything you say is real, and I respect you 'cause you tell it
My girlfriend's jealous 'cause I talk about vans 24/7
But she don't know vans like I know you do, no one does
She don't know what it was like for people like us growin' up, you gotta call me, man
I have the nicest van you'll ever use
Sincerely yours, Trans
P.S. we should paint our steel wheels Blue
That's deep man. Love ya bro. Am sure Transit guy feels it too.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
We might be inline to do a test fitting of the Voxx 18 x 8 ET45 on the Transit Connect. I've contacted several retailers who said they are willing to help us with this and we've narrowed down those who are actually going to. We'll be ordering ( 1 ) wheel from a retailer who said that they will buy the wheel back (minus a restocking fee) IF the wheel doesn't fit. Although we've tried to locate something differant, we're gravitating back to the Voxx wheels as this is the closest thing we're able to find with the desired appearance. I was hoping that JNC would create a wheel just for us, but they decline to do so. However they did say, that they can forge a wheel without the stud holes and we would have to locate someone willing to drill the holes for us. But this is very risky as the wheels measure 18 x 8.5 with an ET of 35-45. We're in unchartered territory and we're going to have to make this up as we go along. Sadly companies like MS-RT have not responded to our questions about their 18'' OZ wheels on their customized Transit Connect. So we're going to have to do this ourselves. It is amazing to us how no one wants to touch the Transit Connect. It's like the TC is taboo and off limits to customizing.

imageedit_1_9026380172.jpg

Not so promising, was my buddy down in Goldsboro NC, seems he's not willing to paint the van the color we want it and our ideas of how we want the van to be painted doesn't match his. So I've had to let him go. His idea of "Candy Blue" is more purple than our version. We still have 3 other painters on reserve, so we'll get in touch with them soon. We may end up using the Acura "Apex Blue" color on the van which is extremely close to the candy blue.

imageedit_3_8208694140.jpg

If the weather would ever cooperate, I've got way too many things to do to the van. One being I'm going to stay sanding the top coat off the van. merely using a scotch brite pad and with little pressure to create even swirls on the van. This will make the color of the van flat. Not sure how this will turn out. Maybe it will turn out just fine and we might just leave the van that color. Hell I've seen worse wraps on other cars..

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
Ordered a set of wheels locks via DPA. But according to the site, these will not fit our 2020 Ford Transit Connect, bet me.. It's like DPA and Wheel-Size.com don't believe me when I say my 2020 TC needs M14 lugs and locks. Never the less DPA spokes person is sending some "swag" along with our order. So if you're needing new lug nuts or wheel locks, visit the DPA site and avoid entering in your vehicle's data because you'll get the wrong information. Extremely fast free shipping as these locks are on their way.

dpwheellocks-cone-chrome-0202-0091-kit-4_9e19af91-89e0-4ffc-add9-573eac3c1da2_454x454.jpg

In reference to the 18 x 8 wheels, Tirerack has a long list of 18'' wheels on their sites with the same offset (ET) of the Voxx wheels we're looking to get. This is very promising to see that Tirerack already has several 18'' & 19'' wheel setup's within their system for the Transit Connect. I'm almost 98% sure the 18 x 8 ET45 Voxx Capo wheels will fit the van. But just to make sure, NTB spokesperson contacted me yesterday saying that if we run in any trouble with our local NTB to have the store manager give NTB Cooperate a call during the installation.

imageedit_1_7677418135.jpg

So in a few days I'll be ordered ( 1 ) TMPS sensor from RockAuto, the wheels from Amazon which the vendor is now offering me a 20% restocking fee (instead of 25%) in order to help us out. Then head over to our local NTB for a fitting. We'll be doing a dry run without a tire. Then if we're given the all clear we'll have NTB mount a set of the Yokohama AVID ASCEND GT - 225/45R18 Grand Touring All-Season tires. Seeing how NItto Tire is not willing to cover/support their own tire warranty on any tire purchase we make, we can't afford to order from Nitto tires anymore.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
This afternoon, I was running through my list of possible wheels for the van. We all know that the front runner is the 18 x 8 Voxx wheel. But I've checking on a few alternatives. Most of these secondary wheels do not have the 5 x 108 bolt pattern or slightly over the width reequipments. here's some of our favorite wheels we would like to see on the van and we've contacted these companies in an effort to make this happen.

1st Runner Up: JNC's Custom Multi-Spoke 18'' Wheel.

imageedit_1_5231918250.jpg

2nd Runner Up: 2Crave Mach Eruo Concave ME.18

imageedit_3_3375686643.jpg

3rd Runner Up: Kraze 191 Stunna 18'' Wheel

imageedit_5_9241314303.jpg

I guess you can see a pattern here.. although OZ wheels has nearly the same type of design, We're looking to support a differant company that's not as well known as OZ or Sparco. The only trouble with all three of these wheels.. they don't offer the 5 x108 both pattern. But doesn't hurt to ask If they can mill us a set. This is the only way we can get a custom set of wheel for the van. Otherwise and I'm not disliking the Voxx wheels.. just wanted different companies to help us out or at least I thought they might actually like to see a set of their wheels on our van.

Lastly, I need to make a correction on the above post, in reference to the dates when the lug size changed during specific model years but we need others to verify their lug sizes.:

20XX-2018: M12 x 1.5

2019-Current: M14 x 1.5

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
This morning, Turns out that my DPA wheel locks have been held up in Tennessee. Plus Spoke with my buddy up the street, told him I'll give him our 17'' Voxx wheels w/ Nitto tires if he wants them. All he needs is a set of the wheel rings and M12 x 1.5 2'' budge tuner lugs. So yes, once we confirm that the 18'' x 8'' Voxx (or alterative) fits the van we're giving away the current 17'' voxx wheels w/ the 215/5017 nitto tires. Cause we're not be able to sell them and would rather just give them to another TC owner. What will end up happening, is that we've made a deal with a speed shop as the general manager wants our Voxx wheels and Nitto tires for a partial trade to having the front end upgraded.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
I had this weird idea about making the van look like a beater.. "Beater" is a term used for old cars rusted & tuned that still run, but not worth stealing etc. Then I recall this image from 5 years ago of where this fellow in UK had his VW van rust wrapped. Nice idea but after about 4 years the wrap would fade and you'd have to rewrap the van again. These wraps can cost a few thousand dollars and just not last. Then figure in how much it would cost us to repaint the van and although we wanted to have the van painted.. spending 10K USD on having this done my not be plausible at the moment. One thing I've mentioned above is that I was going to get the van prepped for painting by lightly sanding off the clear coat. Doing this will make the van's top coat look faded or chalky. The idea is to make the van look like crap without too much effort, but with shinny 18'' wheels and with a carbon fiber/leather interior. I can't say I'd make the van look like the attached image, but I am handy with a paint brush.. If something looks like this, chances are no one would think twice about stealing it. "Out of sight, Out of mind"

imageedit_1_5383277457.jpg
This came to pass and would never work, but it might look like a beater when we get ready to paint it.. scuffing the entire body for painting.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
This afternoon while the wife went shopping, I swapped out ( 1 ) DPA tuner lug (per wheel) for the DPA locking Tuner lugs. Fits perfectly and you'd never know the difference as they all look the same. Then I've just test fit the 2005 Ford Thunderbird balloon spare on the front and rear of the van, Again fits like an OJ Simpson glove. That's $100.00 well spent at a salvage yard in South Carolina. Glad RoadKillCustoms.com was there with a long and detailed list of possible bolt patterns for our 2020 TC.

So I personally can confirm that the 2005 Ford Thunderbird balloon spare tire will fit on your 2020 Ford Transit Connect as they both have the same bolt pattern & center bore, there's even enough room for the spare to miss brake lines and suspension components. Also, you can use the factory open end lugs or budge acorn lugs to mount the spare to the front or rear of the van.

imageedit_2_8001135035.jpg

Now the fun begins. Going to take the spare to the tire shop and have them remove the crappy Maxxis tire. Then we're off to Northern PA to our powder coaters and have them clean and prep the spare rim for that custom Candy Blue color we've wanted. I assume it's one of the blue color bottles on the lower shelf.

bottles.jpg

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
Promising news this morning after taking part in the Discount Tire community forums. A spokesman responded to my questions with some very interesting information and suggestions. They guarantee that the 18 x 8 or 18 x 8.5 wheels ET 38-45 will fit the van and if by chance those wheels do not fit, they will wave the restocking fee. that alone is a plus as everywhere else I've tried to test fit a set of the wheels has all said there would be a 20%-50% restocking fee. Plus we can drive to the closest Discount Tire center in western Virginia and speak with the general manager of the store. As for the tires they suggested, the 225/45/18 was not on their most popular lists and they suggested either the 235/45/18 or the 245/40/18 tires and again they guarantee that these sized tires will fit the van. A lot of bold talk which we've heard before and was taken for a ride. But I'm getting a stronger feeling that Discount Tires spokesman knows what he's talking about and with two filament guarantees on the table, this looks like we'll be getting those 18 x 8 or 18 x 8.5 wheels with an unknow 235/45/18 tires sooner than expected.

Sized.jpg

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
Today we drove to our local triple A center to make a card payment Little did I know that they also have a service center which just opened up this morning. After making our card payment, I asked the service tech if there's anyone in the shop that can remove the tire from our spare rim. He said sure bring it in and at no charge. Just moments ago, we had Triple A remove the tire from the spare rim and now we need to make time or take a day trip to Northern PA to our powder coaters. But with our work asking us to be prepared for some upcoming overtime, our day trip (during the week) will have to be postpone. At least we finally got that crappy Maxxis tire off the rim and we're now ready to have the rim powder coated that Candy Blue by our platers.

imageedit_1_5951390535.jpg

Again, if you're not familiar with what we're doing. We've cross referenced a 2005 Ford Thunderbird spare Balloon tire that has the same bolt pattern & center bore as the wheel hubs on the 2020 Ford transit Connect. One of the main reasons we're doing this is that the factory spare located under the rear of the van is extremely difficult to extract from the van. We're eliminating weight as well as the difficultly with removing the spare if needed. Plus with the added extra room, we may opt for a fuel cell or better mufflers in that open space where the spare was located.

In order to have a clean appearance, we're sending the 2005 T-bird spare to the platers to have them clean the rim up and powder coat it for us. In fact those working at the shop this morning looked at me strangely when I told them we're powder coating our spare rim before adding a new balloon tire.. "that seems to be a lot for just a spare tire" But if they only knew our plans.

In case others want to do nearly the same thing, roadkillcustoms.com bolt pattern cross reference chart to help you isolate a spare for your van. Again the spare we've selected for our 2020 Ford Transit Connect is a 2005 Ford Thunderbird 5 x 108 / 63.4 balloon spare which fits right up without any rubbing. However the only drawback to doing this is that if we blow a front tire, we'll have to rotate the rear tire forward and place the balloon spare on the rear of the van. Just in case you didn't know, the balloon spare being 17'' with the spare tire mounted on it will keep the van levels once we get the 18's installed. If you've seen any cars with oddball size spare tires on their cars, you'd know what I'm talking about.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
After months of owning the new van, I was getting tired of the auto rain sensing wiper control settings. So I dived deeper into the on board setting locate through the steering control (left side) from here I was able to access the settings then located the wipe controls. It was checked for "auto rain sensor" so I turned that off.. no more not wanting a variable speed on the wipers as they've had a brain all to themselves. We could never get or adjust the setting to suit our need it was either too fast or too slow of just did what ever it wanted when it rain..

It's been a little over 1000 miles since adding the new wheels and tires, so I wanted to check to see if the lugs are still secure unlike the crappy tuner lugs CariD sent us. The lugs could or did need a bit more tightening and at some point we'll need to take the tires to the shop to have them rebalanced again. Checking the fuel gage, we're not happy with our 18.1 fuel economy has been dropping. This is the worse it's been in years bad fuel seem to be the culprit Clearly we need an alternate fuel source and may end up using E85.

TCDash.jpg

Sonny

RMS Photographer
I assume it's one of the blue color bottles on the lower shelf.

bottles.jpg

I assume it's not.

Screenshot_20220720-163008~2.png

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
Slow build thus far because of the covid restrictions. Some states have closed their boarders or even imposed a 14 days lay over and we just don't have that kind of time sitting in a hotel room or campsite. But I'm happy to report that Discount Tire is willing to do the right thing when it comes to ordering the correct set of wheels and tires for the van. Not only will they take the wheels back (if they don't fit) they wont charge me for a restocking fee. Then I heard about what's the proper way to clean your wheels. But having a limited movement issues, bad knees and lower back, it would be nearly imposable for me to get down on my hands and knees to clean the wheels routinely. So when we find out / confirm that the new 18 x 8 ET45 wheels fit the van, we'll order the remaining 3 wheels through Discount Tire.

Once the wheels arrive, we'll inspect them, then repackage them for a long trip. We'll be heading from Western VA to Northern PA to our powder coaters. Once there, our plater will ceramic coat the wheels for added protection and ease of cleaning. I was just give confirmation that we can order the wheels take them to our platers then return the wheels to have the tires mounted.

Little does my wife know, I took the time to order Covercraft's dash cover for the van. In navy blue with a custom logo on the dash edge. I can't reveal the logo/text just yet or even when the dash mat arrives as I have other plans for the van.

imageedit_1_6348642115.jpg
Our Covercraft 2020 Transit Connect dash Mat arrived today & we hate it. Cheap, cheesy quality, poor stitching & crappy looking embroidery. Sadly we're not able to return this dash mat so I'm going to make it better myself. As an ex-seamstress I'm going to re-stich every seam. The mat is so flimbize I'm going to have to add another layer of material just to stiffen it up a bit. Then re-stich the seams. The worse part, the embroidery was way out of line and too large. I was hoping for a small slot across the lower edge instead across the entire right side of the mat. Once the mat has been reinforced I'll pull out the ole embroidery machine and stich my own text on the mat right where I wanted it..

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
Fine, I'll skip over a few blog type post I made a few months ago..

Here's the Latest:

Had the van inspected over the weekend and my assumption was right, the factory struts have nearly worn out. I was hoping to have a set of coil overs installed but because we're adding wider wheels the coils would get in the way. So sometime between now and next spring we're having a set of the Bilstein (Yellow) B6 strut assembly installed. This is a small upgrade over the standard or basic factory struts without breaking the bank. However we might go as far as adding new ball joints too.

22-272447_1.jpg
It's taken us 6 months to locate these struts as covid and other new restrictions have limited what parts we can get for the van.

Last edited:

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
Slowly we've been adding small things to the TC like a ambient blue light to the USB port located just below the shifter. This ambient light is about the size of a USB flash drive but has a blue light attached to it. Once plugged into the system it just cast a blue light in and around the dash area.

ford-transit-connect-usb-port.jpg

But a few days ago, the wife want to hear some music but couldn't locate a radio station. Then we learn we can play our own music in the van via this USB port. Not having any saved music (that will change soon) I locate one of my old 2GB flash drives and put some 80's music on it.. plugged it into the van's USB and adjusted some setting on the view screen and bam.. it was like hearing the 80's music all over again for the first time. Mind you the van doesn't have an ideal speaker set up which again this might change very soon. was thinking of taking the van to a sound source shop and have them install a woofer in the back of the van right under the floor mat. There's a space right behind the front seats where if one has a personal carrier van, this metal pacer would be removed as to allow for more room. In our van, this plate is there to extend the cargo area. This small space would make a great place to hide a woofer.

So if your 2020 or above van has the USB port locate right under the shifter, just plug in your flash drive loaded with what ever music and hit the road.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
here's the latest:

While we wait for our tax refund to arrive which is taking longer than expected, i went ahead and ordered 1 yard of the diamond tucked carbon fiber material from fabric empire. In an earlier post, you would have read that I'm wanting to use this material to cover the wood blanks located in the back of the van.

1007587826_IMG_19533-large(1).thumb.jpg.20e2d4ff9429a0cf29a08bc547927868.jpg

I've selected the foax carbon fiber diamond tucked with padding material for these panels.

91CEhMuyGKL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.0c99c723c2b32eb6308eb7f954f4188a.jpg

Along with this, we'll be ordering a pack of sound damping stick on pads. I'll place this on the larger flat surfaces around the interior of the van. With the sound pads, they are a flat black in color and would fill in some of the void area the back of the van. However, I just haven't been motivated to get working on adhering the carbon fiber material to the boards. I guess at some point I'll have to do this once the new wheels and tires are on the van. I'll have to make time to do this if I want to attend a few car shows next year.

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
While waiting for our Tax refund which is late this year, we drove up to Hanover PA to check out a location for my next photo shoot. There's a curvy road near Hanover where I've always wanted to get a photo of how the road curves through the corn fields.

For the last 2 years while driving the van and even though I hate the current wheel/tire setup, we're very surprised at how balanced the van is. meaning there's a few roller-coaster hills while driving through PA that we've used in the past to send the van air borne. There's absolutely zero heavy nose dive or heavy butt in landings. The van always lands on all fours, nothing more than a little hop or jump on a few rolling hills in PA. Almost reminds one of the days with the SCCA rally racing. car jumping the hills and sliding into curves while speeding past spectators. One of these roads is between Reading and Delta PA

Will this change when we get a new set of the Bilstein struts & shocks or what about the new heavier 18 wheels and tires?. One thing's for sure even if the tax refund is later than normal, we'll be driving up to Firestone to make an appointment to have a set of those Bilstein struts mounted on the van as we've had enough money to have these installed.

We love our sports car in disguise, so drive it like you stole it...

LostnTransit

RMS Regular
OP
LostnTransit
I'd love to learn more about your plans for the back of the van. Are you intending to kit it out for camping/touring in?
Touring, There's nothing going to be done to the back of the van other than adding a single bed with a few small compartments or trays for a small camping items. The side will have the black sound dampening pads while the boards will have the carbon fiber material. However I do have several oddball brackets which will be mounted on the rear barn doors and blanks areas of the van for small item storage off the floor.

It's obvious most connect owners want to do this with their vans:

imageedit_3_2177562795.thumb.jpg.5b5663e2613c368cd39fb8aea3eab4b1.jpg

imageedit_7_5355474749.thumb.jpg.239099e804331c0e763847ff94db8c3f.jpg

But I have found a few owners who want to do this with their vans.

imageedit_1_9806767179.thumb.jpg.7e0ae14f57807652e78503b5ed437b40.jpg

imageedit_3_2403418482.thumb.jpg.5ab1bad62a3276befabbaa752c1d822b.jpg

Although our van isn't going to be as stanced, there is enough room in the back for a small bed. We're looking at our build as a compact sports van show car, with redesigned diamond tucked interior and a few performance handling options.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.