Vectra SRi CDTi 150bhp

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today I finally did a job that has been needing done since I got the car in January, I replaced the thermostat. Basically the car has never got up to operating temperature since I’ve had it, common fault it seems and thankfully the thermostat’s tend to stick in the open position. They’re fairly expensive as it’s a complete housing including temp sensor hence why I put it off for so long. So hopefully now my fuel economy will improve and I already know the heater has far better heat coming from it!
34F4758E-4096-4277-B770-AB0ED6550862.jpeg
7472EAAD-E171-4D95-871B-D8915B4CE4F4.jpeg
C57FEBFC-B66E-4A1A-83A0-620C3F267FB0.jpeg

Last edited:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Today I finally did a job that has been needed done since I got the car in January, I replaced the thermostat. Basically the car has never got up to operating temperature since I’ve had it, common fault it seems and thankfully the thermostat’s tend to stick in the open position. They’re fairly expensive as it’s a complete housing including temp sensor hence why I put it off for so long. So hopefully now my fuel economy will improve and I already know the heater has far better heat coming from it!View attachment 215967 View attachment 215968 View attachment 215969
Just done the same on the Anni, I see them as a service part now! Alternator holding up still?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Did both on the e60 last year, mostly plastic these days so def service items. just wish they'd locate them somewhere less knuckle-gouging.

Tell me about it!!!

Just done the same on the Anni, I see them as a service part now! Alternator holding up still?

Aye seems to be! Dunno if it was just a glitch or what? I checked the wiring whilst I was in at the egr and the nuts are still tight. Voltage is reading between 13.7v and 14.2v depending what I have on at the time which is fairly normal.

I’ve read the the battery light coming on can be a sign of the electro hydraulic steering pump failing, so I had a quick look and the fluid was just about touching the low mark on the dipstick, so unless it possibly got an air bubble or something sucked in? It took about 50ml to get it from low to max marks so it’s not like it holds a lot of fluid.

Although at this point it sounds like I’m grasping at straws lol. Whilst it’s working I’m gonna leave it alone. It’s only happened once so far, so I’ll just keep an eye on it for now.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Long gone are the days the t-stat was £5 and on the front of the engine held in with two bolts and a gasket lol

Remember doing one on a Golf and it was an absolute faff!

Will save you in the long run with the better fuel economy

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Long gone are the days the t-stat was £5 and on the front of the engine held in with two bolts and a gasket lol

Remember doing one on a Golf and it was an absolute faff!

Will save you in the long run with the better fuel economy
Again tell me about it! And testing them was much easier too, I used to keep a jug in my tool box that I used to fill with boiling water and then chucking a stat in and watching it to see if it opened lol.

Yea that was the main reason for doing it, getting the mpg up to where it should be, before today the best I could get was around 42mpg but I know these engines are capable of anywhere between 50 to 70 normally.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I was looking to buy you a mechanics mat after seeing the state of your old Halfrauds unit!
Yea it’s seen better days! Lol. Thankfully it wasn’t needed for this job, no need to get under the car for this particular job.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
It was promptly swapped for another one which appears to be a like for like - which I add worries me as I fear I may see the same issue arise in five months or 4000 miles time again.
8356EA7D-D5AB-4B0C-B1B9-3AAE7527445B.jpeg
EC3C82C5-AF1A-4EF8-9A90-DCC0947BA529.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
And somehow I must have carelessly placed a limb or my stomach on the leak off pipe from injector no.2. I didn’t know until I started the engine and saw that it had become a rather spectacular diesel fountain! Got the replacement late yesterday afternoon and fitted it today and the car appears to be back to normal again.
B6EA73C3-4B85-4DA5-8D3E-5CC40E782221.jpeg
6759BAD5-F147-4A81-BE80-A1C3B692FDFF.jpeg

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I've a set of B6's and H&R springs in the Toledo, fairly sharpened the handling up and not much drop in comfort.

colin84

RMS Regular
Definitely don't skimp on suspension, I went through numerous sets on my Vectra, and had issues with them all. One set was new FK shocks and springs all round, then the metal bracket for the droplink broke off and destroyed a new tyre. Then heading down the M2 the other side shock broke clean in half and burst the other tyre at speed.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Definitely don't skimp on suspension, I went through numerous sets on my Vectra, and had issues with them all. One set was new FK shocks and springs all round, then the metal bracket for the droplink broke off and destroyed a new tyre. Then heading down the M2 the other side shock broke clean in half and burst the other tyre at speed.

Why people stick these cheap ebay kits in is beyond me. Or lowering springs and old knackered shocks.

I've had bilsteins on quite a few cars and they're brilliant. Also like Sachs stuff too.

Should look good with the lows :grinning:

colin84

RMS Regular
Why people stick these cheap ebay kits in is beyond me. Or lowering springs and old knackered shocks.

I've had bilsteins on quite a few cars and they're brilliant. Also like Sachs stuff too.

Should look good with the lows :grinning:

My attitude was that it was only a cheap car for work, and I didn't want to spend too much on it. But if I'd bought decent quality stuff in the first place I would have been better off. Plus I nearly got wiped out when the shock snapped!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Well I’m sure many of you know that Bilstein’s aren’t cheap lol.

I’m personally not a fan of coil overs or bags myself, I do see the appeal for those who like to score sc3n3 points, but for me I want a slightly better handling car with a little bit of comfort, plus crucially little to no maintenance!

Stick it in and forget about it lol.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Fronts are in, but I’ve had to call it a day. Normal parenting duties dictate that I’ve the school run and homework’s to do. Still a few more jobs to do in the front, new driveshafts, a track rod end and possibly and inner tie rod - which I’m not looking forward to as I’ve never done one before! :pensive: Might be a case of having to pay someone to do it :weary_face:
8C28B675-FC71-4593-BC1B-7355040C9EF0.jpeg