Vectra SRi CDTi 150bhp

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Inner tie rods are handy as long as access is there. If the rack is buried then yeah can be a pain
I think the access is ok, it’s just my uncertainty. Lol. Maybe have a look at YouTube, there’s bound to be a video on it somewhere.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Flip sake was hoping to see it done and lowered :joy:
Sorry dude, doing it with no air tools and trying to run the house at the same time means it’s taking longer than it should lol. I’ll try and get it finished tomorrow for you lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
I think the access is ok, it’s just my uncertainty. Lol. Maybe have a look at YouTube, there’s bound to be a video on it somewhere.

its easy enough dude (assuming vectras dont have weird steering racks):

- pull boot back
- big 32mm ish spanner on the inner nut and loosen it until it comes off the rack
- separate it from the outer tie rod (you can do this first if you like, whatever is handiest)
- move boot over to new inner
- reinstall
- cable tie boot on

if you get a good measurement of rack to start of the outer tie rod then you can adjust it back after and not need (urgently) tracking. I usually do one side at a time, get it close then take it a drive and adjust until I can drive straight with the steering wheel straight. Then do the other side and repeat.

images

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Spot on @pablo ! I just watched a video on a Astra H which pretty much did it as you have described!

Anyone know what Mr MOT man is like on the use of cable ties on steering rack gaiters?

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Spot on @pablo ! I just watched a video on a Astra H which pretty much did it as you have described!

Anyone know what Mr MOT man is like on the use of cable ties on steering rack gaiters?

They aren’t that keen to be honest. Cable ties are fine but tend to fall off after not very long. What about jubilee clips?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Looking like I’ll have to either ask for help or pay someone to do the inner tie rod. It has me beat!

It’s a 34mm spanner which I don’t have. I tried my largest shifting spanner and I just can’t get it on the rod due to lack of access. I can get vice grips on it but again due to lack of access I can’t get any sort of swing or pressure on to crack/slacken the tie rod!

Wasted far too much time on it this morning which meant I was only able to fit one rear spring before the inevitable school run approached. . .

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Finally got the track rod inner and outer fitted to the Vectra. That’s practically most of the suspension components replaced on the Vectra for the upcoming MOT.

The car didn’t feel bad before, I had started working on it because it had what I believed was the usual drop link rattle at the front, but now after all this work it feels like a new car, so tight and much more responsive feel from the steering.

Just need to get this big Spaniard down to the very kind Mr @pablo now

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Bit late but I used one else of these when doing mine and it worked a treat. I'll try to be quicker next time

View attachment 222393
That would have been perfect! Especially given the space restrictions!

My mate and I ended up removing the driveshaft and bottom arm so that we could get at the bugger!

And once we were finally able to get @pablo ‘s big tool on it, it needed minimal effort to slacken it lol.

Where did you get it from @eamon343 ? Might be a handy tool to have in the box for when I need to do the other side lol