Volvo S60 D5 (back on the road again)

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Well the S60 has been working hard over the past week with a trip to Enniskillen and then today at work I got lost in Kircubbin and ended up on what can only be described as a 4x4 assault course. The poor thing did surprisingly well but I felt guilty giving it so much abuse.

On the way home from Eniskillen on Friday I noticed a squeaking from the rear of the car but today it got much louder and the rear passenger wheel got very hot so I’m assuming the calliper is done. New part ordered from @markmeus along with a set of pads for good measure. As soon as they arrive I’ll get it fitted up. I’m going to take it off the road until fixed as I don’t want to risk damaging anything more. Hopefully won’t be off the road for too long.

D5353291-1FC9-41D6-BBC6-8A866259895A.jpeg
852D34B5-1CD5-4FB4-B06E-92791B659EE1.jpeg

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Nice motor, a neighbor of mine has one of these & they've had it as long as i can remember, never misses a beat. Do they do these in Auto to I wonder ? G'luck with it (y)

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Nice they look a well built car too

Take a drive in one, I love mine, it's probably the most comfortable car I've owned, with a good, strong, reliable donkey and well kitted with a cavernous boot.
You can take a run in mine, if your anywhere handy, it's a manual though.

fondelli

RMS Member
Drives
Alfa Romeo
It might not be the caliper. These cars have handbrake shoes inside the disc that the linings fall off and can jam the wheel

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
It might not be the caliper. These cars have handbrake shoes inside the disc that the linings fall off and can jam the wheel

I got it sorted really quickly and thankfully it was just a caliper, I have however noticed that my handbrake is worse than useless. Must look and see if there is an easy way of adjusting it.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I got it sorted really quickly and thankfully it was just a caliper, I have however noticed that my handbrake is worse than useless. Must look and see if there is an easy way of adjusting it.

They come without adjusters on the shoes, thats most likely the problem, but adjusters are cheap on ebay and easily fitted.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Zero to update on this really. I put a new bonnet strut in as the old one was worn and wasn’t holding it up and that’s been all it’s needed in a while. It’s now on 134000 and still getting 56mpg. In around 6k of driving it’s used about 400ml of oil which I’m very happy with. Still can’t get over how under rated these big barges are.

77875A65-3352-4E2F-B1DA-B9ACE9EE966D.jpeg

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Super cars....nothing to touch them for comfortable everyday driving in a budget yoke. Poor turning circle and poor rear leg room is about all I could fault them on. As someone else said they are bizarrely economical for the size of the engine and weight of the car.

Alexmck

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Brilliant engines they are, i have a 04 s80 d5 there that just needs moted and then either sell it or use as workhorse

Mark_C

RMS Regular
This thread has prompted me to stick my 300k miler (only major component changed in 200k of my ownership has been the clutch and flywheel) back through the MOT. Recently did the swirl flaps on the euro 4 in the wife's Xc90 and de-gunked the inlet tract. By **** its made some difference to the performance.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Last night I went to town with a couple of mates for a meal and a concert at the waterfront. Was running late as always and my mate said to me to just park in the markets as it would be fine at that time on a Saturday. Get a phone call from the police under an hour later and came back to this.

332553FD-D55F-4FA1-8FC9-01CE3F1DDEA1.jpeg

816A2D1D-9BE8-4BB6-B82A-1A1B6AD9F458.jpeg

E50AE9F6-5E14-4751-9A19-B3FC18F9470B.jpeg

So to say that ruined my weekend would be an understatement! Lay awake all last night contemplating what to do. It’s too good to scrap and I’ve just put a new driveshaft and bottom arms in to it. It probably wouldn’t break in to much with the damage, insurance would write it off and I’d have to pay an excess anyway etc. This morning I went about fixing what I could myself. Beat the hell out of the bonnet, removed the door cards from the drivers side, removed the smashed mirror and kicked out the back door a bit. Really all she now needs is glass and a drivers mirror and a bloody good clean inside. Paint is wrecked on all the panels they got but at this point I’m just glad it’s going to live to see another day.

3A5896A9-4574-4CBF-A0E7-846B4768F80B.jpeg

03DD802D-CFAF-44A1-8888-C5F6DEA96A68.jpeg

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
****ers.

Heard and seen photos of many cars being damaged in there. Would never risk it regardless of time of day.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Filthy scumbags.

It's hectic there, I know exactly where you parked looking at the photo. To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't burnt out as there isn't a week goes by when I'm not there for car fires.

Reactions: dub

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Wish someone with a couple of brushes and a big boot would stamp on those rats...

That's terrible about the car :pensive:

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
ffs that's disgraceful what goes around comes back around looks like they jumped on the bonnet let's hope the next motor the try to do it to they slip off & break there necks, as john Travolta says in pulp fiction ' what kind of d!ckless piece of sh!t messes with another mans motor vehicle ? ' were exactly is this area in bleshaft as i go there on the regular & wouldn't wanna park there by mistake ?

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
ffs that's disgraceful what goes around comes back around looks like they jumped on the bonnet let's hope the next motor the try to do it to they slip off & break there necks, as john Travolta says in pulp fiction ' what kind of d!ckless piece of sh!t messes with another mans motor vehicle ? ' were exactly is this area in bleshaft as i go there on the regular & wouldn't wanna park there by mistake ?

See if they did that they’d sue the car owner, get a top rate PIP Claim, get all the care and sympathy and look like a victims. It’s sickening.

It was parked in Stewart Street which runs down beside central station

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
What a nightmare, I work nearby and sadly is a common enough thing. Quite a few people have had their cars wrecked there over the years. People have had their cars dosed with paint stripper, jumped upon and a guy had his car burnt out.

Reactions: dub

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
See if they did that they’d sue the car owner, get a top rate PIP Claim, get all the care and sympathy and look like a victims. It’s sickening.

It was parked in Stewart Street which runs down beside central station
Yeah your probably right there an all. Sickening is right. You think this was just random vandalism then or you think this was aimed at you ? You didn't have the car very long maybe the previous owner did something on someone & when that someone seen the car again they thought it was still his car & went ahead & damaged it ? Regardless its still a disgraceful act. A fella I know bought a car ages ago & it was vandalized within a couple of months of him owning it, he was the nicest fella you'd meet & had no problem with nobody But it turned out the fella he bought the car of wasn't exactly the most liked of people & that's why that probably happened, it gets you thinking you got to be careful who you buy a car of, it's hard though as most of the time we buy cars if people we don't know well.