VW Lupo GTi Daily/Track Project

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Took the Lupo to Snetterton in February but wasn't overly happy with the brakes before hand, So slapped on some Corrado G60 carriers and discs/pads, much nicer initial bite after prolonged use and zero fade.

PXL_20230129_135256983.jpg

PXL_20230201_184622415.jpg

PXL_20230204_100817035.jpg

Drove the whole way from Stranraer to Norwich in one go with zero issues and had an absolute blast at Snetterton, boiled PAS fluid again, but not as much as before, so have a new pump and extra viscosity fluid to change in, such a fun track to drive and the open pit lane etiquette is much better than the 15 odd minute sessions you're allowed at Kirkistown, going to tackle Donington in November but want to completely polybush it before then as it is quite rolly at a proper race track.

EMP_6739.JPG

EMP27964.JPG

EMP_6864.JPG

EMP_9267.JPG

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Do they respond well to uprated rollbars? Might be worth an investment in?
I've got a Whiteline in the rear at its stiffest settingand poly bushes on the front arb and drop links, going stiffer on the front bar will just bring in more understeer, so hopefully stiffening the front control arms will help a lot, if not I'll have to look at trying to get stiffer springs or just go more adjustable suspension all round so I can adjust camber and damping/rebound, but they're pricey

Gambit

RMS Regular
cant see the polybushes countering the roll so i think you might be looking at suspenstion change, though will polybushes will still be a worthwhile upgrade - looks like its some craic though in those pics!

have you tried speaking to badger bill @ badger 5, he used to run lupo 1.8T on track so might be worth a chat with?

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
cant see the polybushes countering the roll so i think you might be looking at suspenstion change, though will polybushes will still be a worthwhile upgrade - looks like its some craic though in those pics!

have you tried speaking to badger bill @ badger 5, he used to run lupo 1.8T on track so might be worth a chat with?
It's fun and surprises a lot of people, nice and pointy on track which I like, just scrapes a lot when braking & turning, or going over a bump while turning at speed which is why I want it to be stiffer otherwise I'd leave it as is and can't bring my self to increase the height lol, got plenty of guys tracking them I can poke about a potential solution but thanks for the tip!

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Went a little bit crazy and pulled the plug on a Coolerworx short shifter, expensive, but super quality and more race car, also replacing the bearings all round as well as Black Series poly bushes on new front arms, front top mounts and lower gearbox mount and a new front caliper due to some stickiness

PXL_20230822_172933224.jpg

PXL_20230822_172938885.jpg

PXL_20230822_172538430.jpg

Marc.W

RMS Regular
OP
Marc.W
Drives
Lupo GTI
Unfortunately I never did get going on my trip to Donington in November in the Lupo, it snapped a driveshaft after picking it up (2 weeks before the trackday, thanfully I hadn't booked the boat yet) from getting all the bushings, bearings and a few other things done like new PAS pump & fluid, stud conversion, so I haven't even been able to get the shifter fitted yet and the car has just been abandoned in the driveway. I've also discovered that GTI ball joints differ from standard Lupo ones so even using the correct part number you'll get the wrong ball joints, thankfully I found a GTI set, I bought a Lightweight Flywheel and a CG Motorsport clutch that has yet to go in and the new shaft and ball joints should be here next week and I want to get the calipers sent off to be rebuilt, and I'm hoping to be getting a unit close to the house to store the Lupo so weather wont play a factor in stuff getting done to it in future!

I'm going to try and get it to more than 1 trackskills day this year and shoot for Donington in November again, eager to see how different the car feels on track since last time!

PXL_20240106_114744599.jpg

PXL_20240113_184753299.jpg