WANTED - SKY Q MINI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RevT

RMS Regular
Yep I believe so, I just took out a new package the other day and it was £12 per month for the one mini box. They’re coming out to install the stuff next week and I have an old Sky Q and mini box already so waiting patiently to see what they say about them.

NotKG

Banned
they fitted 2 boosters to get my Q multi room to work. they blame it on my BT internet, but it only had to go 10 ft and a stud wall. now there is 2 boosters, 1 above each box in the attic. it needs a couple of ariels on them, caus signal is pathetic

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Yep I believe so, I just took out a new package the other day and it was £12 per month for the one mini box. They’re coming out to install the stuff next week and I have an old Sky Q and mini box already so waiting patiently to see what they say about them.
If you don't need your old sky q mini, I'm your man.

RevT

RMS Regular
UPDATE - Sky have requested the spare box back. Also, they are somehow able to tell how many are in use and limit it to the number you are paying for. I can connect up the spare one in another room and I can use it but ONLY when the other one if switched off. If I try use it when it’s on it brings up a message saying “Maximum Sky Q Mini boxes in use”.

@Ghost - this means if you’re not paying for any then getting one will be useless I’d say.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
I have the bigger box which I think allows me to connect the maximum..

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
There’s a 2tb box (larger) that allows you to watch up to 3 mini boxes plus the 2tb box

Standard box allows 2 minis to be watched (you can have as many minis as you like but only 2 plus the main box work at the same time)

Sky Q multiroom is £12 p/m extra regardless of how many mini boxes you have, not per box...and each additional box is a one off £100 payment

Sky are looking at having every mini box working at any time but this will be a software version upgrade with date yet to be confirmed

RevT

RMS Regular
There’s a 2tb box (larger) that allows you to watch up to 3 mini boxes plus the 2tb box

Standard box allows 2 minis to be watched (you can have as many minis as you like but only 2 plus the main box work at the same time)

Sky Q multiroom is £12 p/m extra regardless of how many mini boxes you have, not per box...and each additional box is a one off £100 payment

Sky are looking at having every mini box working at any time but this will be a software version upgrade with date yet to be confirmed

So at the minute, even if you pay the £12 per month and then £200 for two extra boxes it still only allows you to watch one of those mini boxes at any one time?

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
No, £12 per month allows you to watch your main box and up to 2 minis at the same time, essentially 3 TVs all with different viewing options..... I have 4 minis, in order to watch 2 plus the main box (which is always on and provides the “hub” of the system, I have to have the other 2 in standby mode) any 2 can be on at any time

The larger capacity “hub” box allows 3 minis to work ..... you add as many minis as you like at £100 each ..... the old multiroom was £12 per month per box so £144 per year.... so each mini saves you £44 pa over the old system

RevT

RMS Regular
How come only one of my mini’s work at any time? It only allows me to view one at a time.

In fairness, Sky think I only have one so I’m assuming they’re able to limit it.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
How come only one of my mini’s work at any time? It only allows me to view one at a time.

In fairness, Sky think I only have one so I’m assuming they’re able to limit it.
Ha. If u don' want it, I'll buy it.

RevT

RMS Regular
Ha. If u don' want it, I'll buy it.

It only costs me £50 now not to return it and I’m moving out of home into my own place in January so might hold on to it til then to do for a spare tv.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
It only costs me £50 now not to return it and I’m moving out of home into my own place in January so might hold on to it til then to do for a spare tv.
I'l give ya £50 now. Lol

RevT

RMS Regular
No, £12 per month allows you to watch your main box and up to 2 minis at the same time, essentially 3 TVs all with different viewing options..... I have 4 minis, in order to watch 2 plus the main box (which is always on and provides the “hub” of the system, I have to have the other 2 in standby mode) any 2 can be on at any time

The larger capacity “hub” box allows 3 minis to work ..... you add as many minis as you like at £100 each ..... the old multiroom was £12 per month per box so £144 per year.... so each mini saves you £44 pa over the old system

You seem to be clued up on these. If I use a spare mini box I have here and try to connect it to a new Sky Q main box in a house that isn’t paying the £12 per month multiroom subscription, will it work? Or can they tell that I’m connecting a mini box and shouldn’t be allowed it?

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Won' work. The box isn' getting the coding to allow the signal to bounce from one box to the mini.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I got fed up with being messed around on ebay for a second mini box so paid Sky the £99 for the "installation" since the box is loaned to the customer. The only downside side is I have to wait until December for an engineer visit on a box I can install in seconds.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
I got fed up with being messed around on ebay for a second mini box so paid Sky the £99 for the "installation" since the box is loaned to the customer. The only downside side is I have to wait until December for an engineer visit on a box I can install in seconds.
Are you serious? That' shocking. I may end up biting the bullet, but I know, I KNOW, as oon as I do, they will run an offer.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
It's £99 for the installation and even with a 4 week lead time, they wont post the box as the engineer has to turn up with it. The first skyq mini box installation is £50 btw

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Well I have mine installed by Sky in December (y) lol not want you wanted but second hand boxes were selling for more than the £99 sky charge to install.

None on ebay or gumtree. I wonder if sky are cracking down on these boxes being sold - they actually own them, not the customer

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.