Water filter / de-ioniser

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Anyone know a good water filter / de-ioniser that can be used with a Karcher KB4040 pressure washer?

The daily driver I've bought is black and I forgot how much of a pain water marks are!

Karcher do their own in line jobby but I'm not sure if it would be up to the task:

Karcher Water Filter | BuySpares

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
I had looked at that one. Good job?

Is there much servicing required with it?

Mark122

RMS Regular
Cant fault it.

We use it on the window of the house too.

There is no serviceable parts in them, once done, bin it. They say you get about 100 rinses.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Yes, I have been using a 10lt water DI since September 09 and I'm still getting 0ppm rinses without having to change the resin once.

Have washed windows and all with it, and just connect a normal hose to it for the final rinse

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
j16rf does them on here but I think they are drastically up in price since I got mine 2 years ago

PJS

RMS Regular
gcon - that Karcher thing is not a deioniser, but a filter to stop small stones, etc getting into the machine if not connected to a mains supply tap.
I've an Aqua Gleam, which I swapped for something on DW, but never used it - I believe it was used only once or twice by the other member.
It's the 0 ppm one, and if you wanted it, I'm sure we could agree on a price.

Would let you see how beneficial a DI is, before launching into a big spend on the refillable ones commercial window lickers use.

Rfg

RMS Regular
you can get the deionising resin vessle and use it on a final wash down but you will have to replace the resin every 6-12 months depending on use a proper set up would be about £500
the aqua gleam one I am not sure how long it would last to be honest but the resin is very good.

PJS

RMS Regular
Resin will last for as long as it can depending on the calcium carbonate content of your water.
Best used for a final rinse at low flow rate to sheet the car with, after rinsing the shampoo off with your pressure washer.

TDM meters can be had for £15 ish and if you contact NI Water, they'll give you exact readings in a week after they take a sample from your street supply.
I did that not so long ago when I got the coffee machine, as it has an in-built water hardness level setting which then measures the amount of water flowed before alerting the user of a filter change or the descale program needing run.

From there, you can get an idea as to how long the resin should last, or just monitor it monthly, and once you see more than 10 ppm, you know it's time to start thinking about replacing it.
As AqG do a 30 ppm one, then it would seem 30-50 ppm is the cut off point before you notice spotting.

I'd say if your area/street was over 150 ppm, you'd need to consider a 30 before the 0 ppm, to extend its' resin's longevity.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Michael Ferguson I think does these ... @AIRFORCE1 has persuaded me to get one so ill be treating myself once im paid this week!

Its a refill one so means you never have to buy a new unit each time!

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
www.vyair.co.uk can supply replacement resin. I run a 25lt set up, which cost around £75 delivered and already filled with resin. It runs in line and can be used with a pressure washer as the flow rate flows enough cc's of water to prevent my Karcher pulsing

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Got my vessel of the interweb and @j16jrf fired some DI resin into it. Great little gizmo, especially on warm days were you might not be able to get drying as quickly as you wanted.

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
I'm looking at these at the minute, water at my place is quite hard and water spots are boiling my piss.

Can you fire me through a price for one @j16jrf ?

jferg

RMS Regular
@Jordy it depends how hard your water is. If it's REALLY hard then then resin will only last a short time and could be an expensive way to wash cars.

@ChrisL it's not Michael ferguson that does them it's me, Jamie Fergusson ;)

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
@Jordy it depends how hard your water is. If it's REALLY hard then then resin will only last a short time and could be an expensive way to wash cars.

@ChrisL it's not Michael ferguson that does them it's me, Jamie Fergusson ;)

Hahaha ... say nothing!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.