What 7 seater

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Ok well come october, i am going to change the runabout (scrap rio) and have decided to buy a 7 seater, with two kids a dog and always having to run people about its come to that time where i am going to have to buy a 7 seater.....i will probably get alot of abuse for this lol. But i have the caterham and the midget so i still have the toys.

Now few things are a must, 7 seater as i said, has to be able to two (caterham) and have a decent sized boot even with 7 seats up. I ruled out zafia as boots pish was looking at seat alhambra's etc should hopefullly be able to strech to around 7k but hope to not have to..... any suggestions welcome

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I think there was a similar thread not too long ago on this due to someone having an addition to the family. Might help you out when DaddyC lands in with the link.

A mate of mine in work opted for a 6 seater Honda where the extra seat in the front can be folded out of the way when not in use etc, he seems to like it now and the boot seemed ok from what I saw of it.

The people carriers though I'm guessing would have even more room :grinning:

Edit: I had a quick look but can only find a thread in 2011 and one in 2010.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
I had a look at this one time just out of interest, and without doing too much research, thought the Sport version of the Honda FRV might look okay with a decent set of wheels, or the Ford S-Max.

With a dog, though, I'm not sure if the Honda would be big enough in the back.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
not many 7 seaters have decent boots when all 7 seats are in use. Although a suppose it depends how you classify "decent".

7 seater, which tows well, for 7k....i suggest a late model Landrover Discovery II. Remap the TD5 and your flying.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
well as long as i could get the pram in the boot it would be ok, the wifes dad has a zafia with 7 seats up the pram doesnt fit if i can get that in im sorted lol never thought of a jeep to be honest wild hard on the diesel are they not? always loved jeeps, and loved the cherokee for the short time i had it but was to ''agricultural'' for the wife lol

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I never had a Disco 2 so cant comment on boot space or agriculturalness. But there are plenty about to have a look at. Anything that size/weight with be giving you 26-28mpg.

what about a 6 seater fiat multipla? just checked though, 1300kg towing limit so prob not suitable.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The TD5 can be problematic. Like any modern DERV I suppose. TDi would be more reliable but if the mrs thought an XJ was agricultural then a TDi Disco isn't going to cut it.

Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra should all be OK.

Steve C

RMS Regular
We've been looking at a Chevrolet Captiva 7 seater. It's basically a rebadged Antara. You get a lot of car for the money.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
My cousin has a Ford S-Max and it's great, not sure how it would be for towing though.

Is the Audi Allroad a 7 seater?

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
I like the 6 seater FR-V's. One of the nicer motors in that category. Decent boot compared to Zafira etc when all seats are in use.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Also, if you don't do heaps of mileage, you can get a 2.5T petrol lump in the S-Max, which if remapped, could make for some surprising fun for a 7 seater I'd imagine.

windyboy

RMS Regular
Drives
206 & Transit
we have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso and the 3rd row of seats folds into the floor and leaves a huge boot but when you put the seats up its not too big but should be able to fit a pram into it (depending on the size of pram of course), it's a decent drive with it's 1.6 HDI engine too, earlier in the year it took the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids), 4 suitcases and hand luggage, and a folded up wheel chair to Dublin Airport and back and less than half a tank of derv

windyboy

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
Merc ML 2.7CDi. Not all of them have the 7 seat option though. And there's nowt wrong with Fiat Multi's as long as you go for the 1.9jtd. Drive one, you'll be amazed at how they handle.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Used to work in fiat wouldn't have a multipla about me! Some good suggestions lads giving me a lot to think about mmmm lol

Steve C

RMS Regular
I had a Multipla. That and the Stilo are what put me off Fiats. Terrible bloody thing. It was broken down more than it was on the road.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Discovery 2 for me! most practical out of all the cars suggested. Not too bad on fuel, and generally cheap to maintain. TDI is cheaper to maintain and has fewer issues

Bob Pratchet

Drives
Ford S-MAX
We have a S-MAX. Had it for 5 years now and very happy with it. For such a big car I get about 52 mpg and it handles more like a car than an MPV. For £7,000 you should be able to pick up something around from 2006 - 2007.

Just look at the amount of space you get in the boot. It's huge.
http://www.best7seatercars.co.uk/ford-s-max/