What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Gemma

RMS Regular
@quattro Rick thanks....I'll hopefully get a few wee carbon bits on it and put my own wee stamp on it. The E36 had some restoration work done to it but was scared to "modify" it as it was such a classic

I would absolutely love to do something daft to this car tho lol

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Got the mx5 shell scrapped yesterday
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.21.17 PM.png

Now onto stripping and cleaning the frame
IMG_20181202_1150450.jpg

Mainly surface rust, will come up ok i think
IMG_20181202_1150563.jpg

IMG_20181202_1318091.jpg

Rear brake calipers getting a clean
IMG_20181202_1356226.jpg

IMG_20181202_1407314.jpg

IMG_20181202_1440433.jpg

Ready for a coat of paint
IMG_20181202_1440490.jpg

Plenty to get stuck into over the winter months, crucially while i was doing this i avoided having to help put up the Christmas decorations, they were all finished by the time i got home :grinning:

Attachments

• IMG_20181202_1627312.jpg
    IMG_20181202_1627312.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20181202_1627217.jpg
    IMG_20181202_1627217.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 25

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
@quattro Rick thanks....I'll hopefully get a few wee carbon bits on it and put my own wee stamp on it. The E36 had some restoration work done to it but was scared to "modify" it as it was such a classic

I would absolutely love to do something daft to this car tho lol

I had a shopping cart full of carbon bits for mine, until I saw the total and thought f#*k that! A couple thousand wouldn't even cover it lmao.

I'll focus on my paint and engine then maybe add carbon down the line.

Look forward to seeing carbon on yours tough, yellow and black/carbon is a brilliant combo.

I'd be in the opposite camp, I wouldn't care to keep a classic untouched for the next owner, would rather do what I want to it lol

Gemma

RMS Regular
@quattro Rick if it was just an E36 I'd of worked away but the fact it was an old M car I wanted to keep from modding it as such.
There's a few things I want done first to this car before I spend money on the exterior :grinning:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
@quattro Rick if it was just an E36 I'd of worked away but the fact it was an old M car I wanted to keep from modding it as such.
There's a few things I want done first to this car before I spend money on the exterior :grinning:

That wouldn't have deterred me if I'm honest. I hate seeing cars locked up in a garage, would rather drive it every day and enjoy it myself till it blows up lmao

Sounds interesting though, charger your upgrades or something noise related perhaps?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Swapped steering wheels ( deep.dished wheel off and new nardi fitted ) on the skyline
Fitted a new ignition barrel to the cavalier
Also fixed the heater blower on the cavalier
Made a start on removing the engine and box from the saab

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Doesn’t mean that metal plates look any better though.

At the same time plastic plates look **** on classic cars. On moderns I'd agree with you.

Metros look utterly cack on anything though, despite them apparently 'finishing' a car....

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
At the same time plastic plates look **** on classic cars. On moderns I'd agree with you.

Metros look utterly cack on anything though, despite them apparently 'finishing' a car....

They’re a government issue ID tag that to a legal requirement. They neither add nor take away from a vehicle.

Saying a small or stupidly spaced plate is like saying I’d rather run bald tyres because I prefer the look of racing slicks, or a blacked out windscreen because it’s cool looking.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Yep I have pressed ones on the metro. Would have preferred the original font you could get in the 80's but they're not legal any more and I couldn't find them anywhere.

And yeah metro font plates are absolutely gash looking. Instant cheapener.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
They’re a government issue ID tag that to a legal requirement. They neither add nor take away from a vehicle.

Saying a small or stupidly spaced plate is like saying I’d rather run bald tyres because I prefer the look of racing slicks, or a blacked out windscreen because it’s cool looking.

I don't think we are overly disagreeing, but period correct plates (ie metal silver and black ones) on the correct age of vehicle are massively better in appearance than modern style plastic ones.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I don't think we are overly disagreeing, but period correct plates (ie metal silver and black ones) on the correct age of vehicle are massively better in appearance than modern style plastic ones.

Yeah, I’d agree with the period black and silver plates on old stuff, but not an early 90’s BM or the likes just because “they make it look better”.

Reactions: Ben

Simon83

RMS Regular
Gave it a quick wash
26717AA6-094B-4FED-92F1-8C6A225967F3.jpeg

The new v5 turned up after almost 5 weeks so I got the private reg on and done away with the rear badges. Also gave the tailpipes a polish.
418AB721-E8A3-4449-8076-2CB15944E9CD.jpeg
85C68554-ECC8-4B1A-A76D-5C5DF6100567.jpeg

Debadging is an option when ordering but it doesn’t seem very popular. I think it helps tidy up and declutter the rear end.