What did you do to your motorcycle today?

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
Met up with another gsxs owner and King Billy

Attachments

• 23785FFC-AAB8-4AE9-8CEA-44D2F1B614EA.jpeg
    23785FFC-AAB8-4AE9-8CEA-44D2F1B614EA.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 41

Lee

RMS Regular
Lovely (y) can tell it's been done, has that lovely gloss look to it..

I'm pretty much going to do mine every 3-4 months, the litre bottle won't run out any time soon

Thanks. I found the spray bottle that came with it was pretty useless as it is a pin point straight spray, I couldn't find any way of adjusting it. So just used a different one

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
2015 Tracer 900, doing some tyre searching. Currently has a fairly new Diablo Strada on the rear and a Z8 Interact on the front (Strange mix) but christmas is coming and I wouldn't mind a matching pair, or tyres from the same manufacturer :laughing:

Pirelli recommend - Angel GT
- Diablo Rosso 3 (which I think is more of a sporty 600/750 tyre?)

Metzeler recommend - Roadtec 01(touring)
- M7RR(sporty)

Bridgestone recommend - Battlax S21 and T31 (S and T denote sport/touring respectively)

Avon - Spirit ST + Storm 3DXM (I happen to have these as a mixed pair on the SV)

Michelin - Road 5

Any pointers gents?
Of all them the road 5 is the best seller hands down but about 260 for a set. T31 is simalair price and its rival. All depends on how you ride etc. Call down see me at sydneham road ill show you what we have get you prices etc. If it was me road 5 or t31. At present running power rs on the hornet and power cup evo on blade and they are both amazing. The road 5 is simaliar in stickyness bit as an overal tyre best available at present.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Of all them the road 5 is the best seller hands down but about 260 for a set. T31 is simalair price and its rival. All depends on how you ride etc. Call down see me at sydneham road ill show you what we have get you prices etc. If it was me road 5 or t31. At present running power rs on the hornet and power cup evo on blade and they are both amazing. The road 5 is simaliar in stickyness bit as an overal tyre best available at present.
Will get a run up before christmas anyway, thanks (y). Santa is good to me :joy:

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
Ahh that would explain the D (y)
Tell your dad I say hi. We used to knock about with Michael Keenan many moons ago

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
"
Why are Dunlop D214 so bad and why are you allowing Kawasaki to effectively tarnish your good name by adopting such dire tyres that perform so badly here in the UK and on our poor roads particularly B roads? And, i read on the internet that riders are tweaking their tyre pressure, so what do Dunlop recommend for front/rear tyre pressure for fitment of this tyre to a 2017 Kawasaki Z900 ABS?

Response:
First, I have to clarify that the "Dunlop" name is a trade mark and copyright; the "Dunlop" name is sold under licence for OEM build. In your case, for the Kawasai, a far east company named "Simitoma" own the license. What this means , is that Simitoma manufacture a tyre and then are legally entitled to market it as "Dunlop", in this case, the "D214". GoodYear (the legal entity manufacturer of tyres) own the rights to the "Dunlop" TM and we also manufacture our own tyres of course, you will have heard of StreetSmart and RoadSmart. and SportMax to name a few recent to-market releases which have received rave review here in the UK.

The "quality" of the tyre is the product of many factors and perceptions formed from their application, but it is important to point out that tyres are certified. Dunlop (and the same for other tyre manufacturers) *do not* certify tyres ; this is the task of certification agencies who work in collaboration with the international standards bodies, such as JAPMA (Japan), TRA (U.S), and ETRTU here in the UK, who set the specifications. All certified tyres meet the given specifications and are assigned a "Load Weighting" or LW. The LW for your Z900 is 58W. This means that any other tyre rated at (LW)58W has been certified to perform exactly the same with the pressurised air in it (at the same pressure). Please note that by "perform" we refer to the response of the tyre to pressurised air, and not the performance under any particular application for which there are many parameters.

Moving to recommended pressures; the UK does not have a recommendation in the database as yet, but we have identified in our shared databases, a recommendation from Germany, for this model bike. The recommendation is 2.5 bar front, and 2.9 bar rear. That is roughly 36psi front and 42psi rear. Kawasaki are recommending a pressure based on their understanding of their product, as used by riders of a specified mass, and under specified road conditions. Clearly we do not have that data so cannot comment further.

Finally, what I would advise against, is running tyres outside the recommended settings. We, GoodYear, spend a great deal of time designing, developing, testing, productionising and evaluating tyre performance, as you can imagine; there is a substantial amount of data related to this that we have at our disposal and this varies across tyre ranges and vehicles/vehicle types. However, what the evidendce always confirms is that running tyres outside of the recommended pressure, is dangerous as it can lead to separation, splits, and catastophic failure as a result of the tyre's natural flexing and tolerances, going out of spec. Be cautious of the internet which is awash with "I run at..." and whilst this might "work" it is dangerous for the reasons given and is not something we would ever recommended. You may get "lucky" and have never experienced a problem, but if the tyre does fail due to incorrect pressure, and at high speed, then of course this is likely to be more serious!! Instead, and for motorcycles, the rider should ensure tyres are set to the recommended pressure (36/42psi) and look to adjust the suspension over a period of trial, to compensate for riding style, road conditions, weather, etc. AND NOT reduce or increase tyre pressure.

To close then, for the Kawasaki Z900 we advise 2.5 bar front and 2.9 bar rear."

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
@Polobrat666 will have to wait till after xmas for a fresh set of rubber no point at this side. some people say in the reviews the warm up quick but i done 10 miles and done a temp test and was shocked to fine that they either cool down really quickly or dont heat up at all

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
@Polobrat666 will have to wait till after xmas for a fresh set of rubber no point at this side. some people say in the reviews the warm up quick but i done 10 miles and done a temp test and was shocked to fine that they either cool down really quickly or dont heat up at all
Yeah agreed, maybe get a deal on two sets ;):cool: