What did you do to your motorcycle today?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I'm not sure they have really changed much in the last 25 years. A 17" rear on sportsbike typically 180 or 190.
What I do know is, they have got no cheaper. I was pricing a set of Michelin Road 5 today and they are like £255.
Biggest tyre I’ve ever had to buy was a 160 on my cbr600f.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Delayed my bike delivery until the 3rd weekend in March. Not much point in collecting a bike that I can't really ride at the moment. All the accessories I ordered haven't arrived yet anyway.

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Bit of a clean and polish day.
IMG_20210226_171700.jpg
IMG_20210226_171653.jpg
IMG_20210226_171644.jpg
IMG_20210226_171625.jpg
IMG_20210226_171630.jpg
IMG_20210226_171637.jpg
IMG_20210226_171616.jpg
IMG_20210226_171606.jpg
IMG_20210226_171556.jpg
IMG_20210226_171536.jpg
IMG_20210226_171546.jpg

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
boring stuff today here. fork oil and engine oil changed in the MT9.. why they cant fit drain screws to forks these days is beyond me but job done.

Lee

RMS Regular
I think they're a great looking bike!

And come with Pilot Road 5s as standard, win win situation 👌🏻

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Just curious because I've the big sister 550 myself. Did you have any luck with it?
Basically figured out that the fella had flooded it trying to start it to the extent that pure petrol was sitting like a puddle in the sump for a few months, and more kept being added every time he went back to it trying easystart and pure petrol sprayed down the carbs so it has destroyed the crank seals on a recently rebuilt motor. Petrol came out of the sump like a fountain when I put an airline down it 🤦‍♂️ Timing and carbs were spot on so I don’t know how he got it so horrifically wrong 🤷‍♂️

Peter

RMS Regular
Basically figured out that the fella had flooded it trying to start it to the extent that pure petrol was sitting like a puddle in the sump for a few months, and more kept being added every time he went back to it trying easystart and pure petrol sprayed down the carbs so it has destroyed the crank seals on a recently rebuilt motor. Petrol came out of the sump like a fountain when I put an airline down it 🤦‍♂️ Timing and carbs were spot on so I don’t know how he got it so horrifically wrong 🤷‍♂️
Does his fuel tap still work correctly?

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Crank seal problems not good. And being 2 stroke, it's a crankcase not a sump, so it's all part of the cycle, so to speak.
Does his fuel tap still work correctly?
I'd totally agree with this question. Suspect it has a vacuum petcock which is leaking and it's filling the engine. Or it's been left on Prime.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Did it have compression.
Enough to kick I would have thought, maybe not run terribly well at 105psi. 🤔 Couldn’t find compression specs for it.

Crank seal problems not good. And being 2 stroke, it's a crankcase not a sump, so it's all part of the cycle, so to speak.

I'd totally agree with this question. Suspect it has a vacuum petcock which is leaking and it's filling the engine. Or it's been left on Prime.
I couldn’t think of the word crankcase hence I used sump lol. The fuel tap was working ok when I looked at it and was doing all it should so I don’t know where things have gone wrong. Hard to get the truth out of people at times even though it would save them time and money! He’s taken it away with him and is pulling the engine out and getting the fella who built it around stroke city to look at it. I’ve no time!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Enough to kick I would have thought, maybe not run terribly well at 105psi. 🤔 Couldn’t find compression specs for it.

I couldn’t think of the word crankcase hence I used sump lol. The fuel tap was working ok when I looked at it and was doing all it should so I don’t know where things have gone wrong. Hard to get the truth out of people at times even though it would save them time and money! He’s taken it away with him and is pulling the engine out and getting the fella who built it around stroke city to look at it. I’ve no time!
Didn't mean to be picky about the words, just mean that the whole crankcase is part of the fuel transfer cycle on a 2 stroke, unlike the sump on a 4 stroke.
Just mentioned the tap because on RUN it's designed to turn on with vacuum from the running engine. If the seal fails inside, which is not uncommon, then the petrol runs out when the engine is off.
105psi is getting low for compression but it should just be enough to fire up. If the crank seals are gone again then it doesn't affect compression but the pressure in the whole crankcase will be leaking. It could suck oil from the gearbox and run badly.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Had an XJ6 Diversion for almost 2 years. Now waiting on delivery of a Husky Vitpilen 401, all being well it should arrive at the dealer around the end of April 🤞🏼
Rode a 390 Duke, which I’m sure you know has the same engine as the 401, and was genuinely impressed by how well it went! Great engines and very free revving for a single.